X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    I couldn't get it either but am only a silly woman and,just sometimes, I understand but pretent Idon't because I'm not meant to. Please explain when you find out.
    Pretending is all part of the art of one-upmanship, saly. Just smile sweetly then scowl scornfully when someone says, "I didn't get that".

My mum never managed to "get" most of the jokes in Punch my father roared with laughter at, just to show her up, I reckon. "It's no good explaining a joke, if you don't get it", he used to say in that patronising way of his, "but all right then, I'll explain it to you, dear". After which, she would just say, "Oh, I see".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Off now to brave the blizzard - just to see if there's any milk left (among other things) in the local (ie a mile away) St Sprees.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        They're men saly, one doesn't expect them to make a lot of sense at the best of times let alone when they are over excited about the snow!
        She's so quick to stereotype!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Then tries to hide it by talking about food....
          bong ching

Comment

• Anna

<sticky-out tongue emoticon>
            Just been speaking to sister who is in County Durham, nary a snowflake there but since Sunday low temps of -8.5. She bought a load of veg and stored them in the shed, she went to get a cauliflower to make cauli cheese and found it frozen solid. (EightO - See how I've steered it round to food again!)
            I'm making what I believe is called Murgh Kari, which is lamb, spinach, tomato with coconut cream, so it's hot and juicy but creamy. (Oops, there I go with food again ......!)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Hasn't snowed in London for getting on for an hour... Hope it holds off for an hour or so so that following a 4pm meeting the ride back won't be too much of a challenge.

Blenkinsop - damn his eyes - has wired to say he is marooned on the Isle following the morning at HMP Parkhurst with Blenkinsop Snr.

You can't get the staff these days!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Hasn't snowed in London for getting on for an hour... Hope it holds off for an hour or so so that following a 4pm meeting the ride back won't be too much of a challenge.

Blenkinsop - damn his eyes - has wired to say he is marooned on the Isle following the morning at HMP Parkhurst with Blenkinsop Snr.

Still snowing here, 15 miles south of Central London. Only 2 inches deep two hours ago but drifting has now taken it in places to 4 inches. Not very slippery yet but no car has moved on this hill today and there were about six that passed me up top on the B road about an hour ago during the time that there would normally be 600. One bus spotted so the public transport link to the A23 won't be broken until tomorrow but it was on diversion, the journey curtailed because of bad conditions half a mile further south.

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
                  To-day has been Sydney's hottest day in history: 45.8 degrees on the "Centigrade" scale.
                  have all the fires been put out Mr Grew, or is that an ongoing problem ?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Indeed me Lud - I wouldn't even let my servants read these pages!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                      Still snowing here, 15 miles south of Central London. Only 2 inches deep two hours ago but drifting has now taken it in places to 4 inches. Not very slippery yet but no car has moved on this hill today and there were about six that passed me up top on the B road about an hour ago during the time that there would normally be 600. One bus spotted so the public transport link to the A23 won't be broken until tomorrow but it was on diversion, the journey curtailed because of bad conditions half a mile further south.
                      It's still snowing in this part of sarf London too as it happens, Lat, though it's eased up a lot here; Caliban is probably nicely ensconced in a warm office, oblivious to what is in store for him!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        have all the fires been put out Mr Grew, or is that an ongoing problem ?
                        I just can't imagine what it must be like when venturing outside over there. One assumes most homes, shops and offices must have air conditioning in Australia. The hottest I've ever experienced was 37.5 C, in Hanover, and that was like standing in front of a giant fan heater with the strong wind which was blowing. It used to reach 50 C in my parents' greenhouse: ten seconds in there was more than enough!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          I just can't imagine what it must be like when venturing outside over there. One assumes most homes, shops and offices must have air conditioning in Australia. The hottest I've ever experienced was 37.5 C, in Hanover, and that was like standing in front of a giant fan heater with the strong wind which was blowing. It used to reach 50 C in my parents' greenhouse: ten seconds in there was more than enough!
                          Had you been in a greenhouse in Germany, you would have hopefully not set light to a man's cactus collection as our wonderful Deputy Prime Minister once did just for a laugh.

If Caliban is lucky, he will prepare himself for the sight of people with fluffy chickens attached to their heads clearing snow. That is what I experienced at the paper shop earlier.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Not sure I follow the sink reference, ferns....
                            And you call yourself a Borgen enthusiast!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

What weather it is down these parts, although not as bad as Soiuth Wales! Hows Anna?
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                                If Caliban is lucky, he will prepare himself for the sight of people with fluffy chickens attached to their heads clearing snow. That is what I experienced at the paper shop earlier.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                It's still snowing in this part of sarf London too as it happens, Lat, though it's eased up a lot here; Caliban is probably nicely ensconced in a warm office, oblivious to what is in store for him!
                                About to saly forth!

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                And you call yourself a Borgen enthusiast!

I knew I'd seen a blocked sink recently!

How could I miss the connection!

Dummkopf!!

Comment

Working...
                                X