• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    Stay safe all you Christmas travellers. Very wet here but have to visit surgery for prescriptions soon. Quite glad that I'm not going anywhare next week but bound to get emails and phone calls from family- that and cards, which keep me in touch with old London friends.
    Sympathy for people who have to leave their homes becauseof the floods. Is antongould okay, haven't seen him around recently? bestio and Season's Greetings
    anton's fine and giving me a hard time on the AA thread

Torrential here. Luckily used yesterday for most external preps. - most if not all today can be spent in preparations indoors for family arrivals tomorrow...

Good luck if you're venturing out today, saly! And travelling further afield, esp South West, doesn't bear thinking about. Wonder how Cloughie's going on down there, after his soggy Christmas carol-singing excursion...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Yes, best wishes and good luck to all those who have to venture out today. I was in the supermkt before 8 this morning, and will not be out again till tomorrow to sing at the church's carol service.

Still raining here, though not as heavily at the moment.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I had to fetch a prescription from the Surgery and take it to the chemist, but both quite near me. Dark as pitch and a rotten old morning. Found water had come under the front door and soaked the hall carpet, but it always happens on days like this although 'experts' have charged a lot in the past to correct it.
        Nothing compared to the awful flooding in some parts though.

I agree with Anna, comfort food needed and I am having organic butcher's home made cumberland sausages with mash and thick gravy.

bestio all and keep safe on your bikes.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          There must be a joke flying about with Santa saying, it's only rain, dear! (?)
          The only one I know (courtesy of Stafford Students Rag Mag 1976) is this rather feeble effort:

Rudi, the Russian spy from Siberia, was visiting his contact in Manchester. True to form, it started to rain and Rudi looked out in astonishment. The contact's wife turned to Rudi and asked: 'Is this the first time you have seen rain then?' Before Rudi could answer her husband butted in, 'Rudolf the Red knows rain, dear'

Don't all groan at once. I have a very funny Santa Claus joke but, alas, it's not for publication on here as delicate ears may be offended.

By the way, it's hammering down here.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            The only one I know (courtesy of Stafford Students Rag Mag 1976) is this rather feeble effort:

Rudi, the Russian spy from Siberia, was visiting his contact in Manchester. True to form, it started to rain and Rudi looked out in astonishment. The contact's wife turned to Rudi and asked: 'Is this the first time you have seen rain then?' Before Rudi could answer her husband butted in, 'Rudolf the Red knows rain, dear'
            Much less "feeble" than the version I know (about a communist weather forecaster), Pet. But shouldn't it be a "Minsk spy"?

By the way, it's hammering down here.
            Yep; same in the Pennines!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

yup the world food shortage got into swing very early on the market this morning in the middle kingdom even though i took a shopping trolley still knackered me ... and very very wet too
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Snow in Beijing, by the way.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

bestio all and keep safe on your bikes.
                  I can assure you the bike is not going to be touched today...

Sorry about the hall carpet!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

cumberland sausages with mash and thick gravy.
                    Oooooooh smells good.

Just stopped raining here for the first time in what seems like days.

Comment

• Anna

It's hardly rained at all today, just drizzle on and off. When I went shopping a local silver band were playing and the Baptists were carol singing round the tree, all very jolly I was in and out of Waitrose in record time but never have I seen so many carrots! Container upon container stacked up. Are carrots the Nation's favourite veg? An elderly friend was due to travel up to Paddington via First Great Western so spend Christmas with daughter - no chance as FGW are telling people not to bother. Her son-in-law is now driving down tomorrow to collect her. All travel is in chaos it seems particularly in the SW, Wales & Scotland.
                      I need to dress the tree tomorrow and clean the house top to toe (can't have Santa coming to untidy premises otherwise he'll say I haven't been a good girl!)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Are carrots the Nation's favourite veg?
                        Someone's obviously let it be known that savings can be made on lighting bills by eating carrots in midwinter...

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Someone's obviously let it be known that savings can be made on lighting bills by eating carrots in midwinter...
                          We could do with some carrots here. It didn't get properly light today at any time. It's now dark and the rain is coming down in bucket loads.

As far as Anna's query about carrots is concerned...... Rudolph will be around in a little over 48 hours, and will expect to find a carrot at each house he visits.

When I went to Tesco this morning there appeared to be a cornucopia of carrots and a sea of sprouts. There were also lashings of lemons and limes, which is fair enough, as it's well known in Dundee that a slice/wedge of either in a g & t counts as one of your five a day, so five g & ts and you're sorted.

Comment

• Anna

OMG, OMG, Thrice Times. I cannot believe this! I have just had a telephone call from the local British Heart Foundation shop - I've won the Christmas hamper raffle!!! I support BHF because my beautiful brother had heart problems from an early age (sadly he died this year) and I can collect on Monday! How wonderful, there's all sorts of goodies in it. This has made it a Christmas to remember. OMG, the local paper will be there I think! I must look my best ..... <state of shock quivering emoticon>

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

OMG, OMG, Thrice Times. I cannot believe this! I have just had a telephone call from the local British Heart Foundation shop - I've won the Christmas hamper raffle!!! I support BHF because my beautiful brother had heart problems from an early age (sadly he died this year) and I can collect on Monday! How wonderful, there's all sorts of goodies in it. This has made it a Christmas to remember. OMG, the local paper will be there I think! I must look my best ..... <state of shock quivering emoticon>
                              Very well done you, Anna. I'm sure we all look forward to hearing all about it.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Crimble congrats Anna! Wotcha got?

Comment

Working...
                                X