X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    S_A, that description makes me jealous! So often here the weather just sits on top of us, grey with low cloud base and mist. It's rare that we get some decent cloud watching action, particularly at this time of year - do you take photos as a record to go with your other records? That dirty yellow and purple is so spectacular.
    Can't get the fillum for my Brownie 127 any more Anna. In any case -

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Can't get the fillum for my Brownie 127 any more Anna.
      Shame, I'd like to see cloud battles over Dulwich. I have one of my brother's old digi cameras and have acquired a newer older one of his, not as yet used, must charge it up and try it out. I don't take many photos (never think to take the camera with me) but I do have another one to share with Stormy Weatherites of extreme hoar frost here which I'll post when it gets colder again. (Actually, never sure of the difference between hoar and rime but I don't think it's much, length of crystals or something)

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

the barometer is down to 968 on this rock in middle of Irish sea - the wind has dropped and the rain lightened a little - but a truely miserable day

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

You have my sympathy Frances. It hasn't stopped raining or even got light today in soggy Kent/london.

I don't have a barometer or even a piece of seaweed but it seems very cold still to me.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Shame, I'd like to see cloud battles over Dulwich. I have one of my brother's old digi cameras and have acquired a newer older one of his, not as yet used, must charge it up and try it out. I don't take many photos (never think to take the camera with me) but I do have another one to share with Stormy Weatherites of extreme hoar frost here which I'll post when it gets colder again. (Actually, never sure of the difference between hoar and rime but I don't think it's much, length of crystals or something)
            I did take some lovely shots of the precinct and surrounding district when I first moved here, Anna, and stuck them in my final photo album.

Btw, hoarfrost is just frozen dew; rime, the beautiful by-product of freezing fog.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Vile, vile, bitterly cold, dark, driving wind and rain/sleet here in Ultima Thule. Temp 4C, BUT wind chill is huge. Feels like -5C

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I did take some lovely shots of the precinct and surrounding district when I first moved here, Anna, and stuck them in my final photo album.

Btw, hoarfrost is just frozen dew; rime, the beautiful by-product of freezing fog.
                Well, I have two photos, one of silver birches which look like a frozen waterfull and a general view where the trees look like they have stepped straight from Selfridge's windows covered in snow. Perhaps they are then rime, rather than hoar? When I post I'll look forward to your opinion.
                So much to learn!
                Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                the barometer is down to 968 on this rock in middle of Irish sea - the wind has dropped and the rain lightened a little - but a truely miserable day
                I guess when we think of the IoM we bring to mind the TT and Andy Kershaw! What's the climate like there, are you regularly cut off, is it harsh? Do the pluses cancel the minuses?
                Last edited by Guest; 14-12-12, 18:08. Reason: question for frances

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

977 mb here at the moment. It's been bucketing down all day, and it's very windy.

And I'm now going out. And I'm working tomorrow.

Ah me!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Do the pluses
                    ... all the incoming dosh from the TT

cancel the minuses?
                    ... cats with no tails?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                      977 mb here at the moment. It's been bucketing down all day, and it's very windy.
                      And I'm now going out. And I'm working tomorrow. Ah me!
                      Weel, at leest ye ur oot to'nicht oon th' toon whilst aam stuck at haem!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Weel, at leest ye ur oot to'nicht oon th' toon whilst aam stuck at haem!
                        I thought you'd had a seizure!
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          I thought you'd had a seizure!
                          Cali, I have been promised a Fish Supper in Anstruther. Unless I perfect this Scottish dialect they won't know what on earth I am ordering! I could land up with Pollocks when all I wanted was a deep Pizza!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

I could land up with Pollocks when all I wanted was a deep Pizza!

There really is no answer to that!!

Offline now! (as you would say) ... LPO, Jurowski and Bruckner are calling from the South Bank!
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Frances_iom
                              • Mar 2007

I guess when we think of the IoM we bring to mind the TT and Andy Kershaw! What's the climate like there, are you regularly cut off, is it harsh? Do the pluses cancel the minuses?
                              I think Andy claimed slopping out was harsh but in general the weather is mild both winter + summer - the seasons are best distinguished by the rain - horizontal in winter, a mere 45deg in summer! but there are many beautiful sunny days - Peel is well known for the glorious sunsets. Re cut off - the twice a day boat is generally ok to a force 8/9 (not that pleasant on board but at least my usual lounge is carpeted and I fit confortably under a table - last winter there were several runs of days when the boat couldn't sail and Marksies ran out of sandwiches. Don't get me on the subject of the TT - you either love it or the average fatality rate of both riders + visitors sickens you.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Cali, I have been promised a Fish Supper in Anstruther. Unless I perfect this Scottish dialect they won't know what on earth I am ordering! I could land up with Pollocks when all I wanted was a deep Pizza!
                                Oh Pollocks!!

Wild wet and windy, for most of the day.
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X