Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenO

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    I hope you sent it back after he missed that sitter against Brazil in the 1970 World Cup
    I was hoping no-one would remember that!

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Most importantly did you ask Mr. Astle if he thought Sibelius 2 was really Sibelius?

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
        I once sat in the same row as Magdalena Kozena at Symphony Hall - and I once queued behind Nigel Kennedy at a cashpoint. And, as if that's not enough, I got Jeff Astle's autograph the year West Brom won the FA Cup.
        I followed Simon Rattle into Argos in Lewes. I tried to see what he was buying, but he was hunched over the catalogue. In the same street I found myself face-to-face with Peter Sellers (also working at Glyndebourne, presumably). He laughed out loud at the surprise on my face. He is very tiny. We shook hands and I mumbled some pathetic sort of "Love your work" remark. I don't know that I always do, but still. . .

I was behind Andrew Davis in the Tesco queue. He had baby-sick all down his jumper. (The same Tesco where my wife was behind Gloria Hunniford who, she said, "needed ironing".)

This is probably far too much information, but I found myself once in the next urinal to Rostropovich

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Allright anton, Ilove sib 1 and 2 and all the others. I think Sir M was being too analytical for little me but have heard something likehis views before.

Autographs, I did getRichard Murdoch's autograph at a BattleofBritten fete when I was but 13. He was a Squadron Leader in the RAFand Kenneth Horne was a Wing commander. Bet you've never heard of 'Much Binding in the Marsh'.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Oh yes I have - do you remember when the son of the late great Sam Costa appeared on the "old boards"? I don't know if he has made it to FOR3.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Anton, he had just found something about his dad. Idon't think he ever came back again.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Uncle Monty View Post

This is probably far too much information, but I found myself once in the next urinal to Rostropovich
                Did you notice if he used lots of vibrato, Uncle Monty?

Comment

• StephenO

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  Most importantly did you ask Mr. Astle if he thought Sibelius 2 was really Sibelius?
                  Sibelius 2, West Brom 3

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

I had Enid Blyton's autograph
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I have used urinals in the presence of Sir Robin Day (that was at Broadcasting House) when I was rehearsing with the chorus of Arial Opera (the BBC Staff Club Amateur Operatic Society) and once when I was working for the Chemical Society at Burlington House I had an amusing and memorable wee with Sir Mortimer Wheeler. Sir Mortimer had his office (he was Secretary of the British Academy) in the same part of the building as us. In the lift he always asked what I thought of the football: being a rugger man I thought it polite that I checked the football results in the paper before I got to work in order to bluff my way. One day I nipped to the Gents to find Sir Mortimer standing at a urinal. I stood politely at the other end and a rather overawed teenager could not pee. Sir Mortimer being old had the same problem. He grunted and huffed for a few more moments then suddenly said loudly:

"Oh, for God's sake go and turn the bloody tap on, then we can both piss in peace!"

It worked.

Comment

• Don Petter

I once drove half the Smetana Quartet from Stevenage to London after a concert, in our then pride and joy - our Vauxhall Chevette! Milan Skampa nursed his viola rather than allow it in the back, and I remember thinking it was worth many times the value of the car if we crashed.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Uncle Monty View Post
                          I followed Simon Rattle into Argos in Lewes. I tried to see what he was buying, but he was hunched over the catalogue. In the same street I found myself face-to-face with Peter Sellers (also working at Glyndebourne, presumably). He laughed out loud at the surprise on my face. He is very tiny. We shook hands and I mumbled some pathetic sort of "Love your work" remark. I don't know that I always do, but still. . .

I was behind Andrew Davis in the Tesco queue. He had baby-sick all down his jumper. (The same Tesco where my wife was behind Gloria Hunniford who, she said, "needed ironing".)

IN the next urinal???????

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            IN the next urinal???????

Oh, all right, AT

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Did you notice if he used lots of vibrato, Uncle Monty?

I'm not even going to try to answer that one, a51

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                                I have used urinals in the presence of Sir Robin Day (that was at Broadcasting House) when I was rehearsing with the chorus of Arial Opera (the BBC Staff Club Amateur Operatic Society) and once when I was working for the Chemical Society at Burlington House I had an amusing and memorable wee with Sir Mortimer Wheeler. Sir Mortimer had his office (he was Secretary of the British Academy) in the same part of the building as us. In the lift he always asked what I thought of the football: being a rugger man I thought it polite that I checked the football results in the paper before I got to work in order to bluff my way. One day I nipped to the Gents to find Sir Mortimer standing at a urinal. I stood politely at the other end and a rather overawed teenager could not pee. Sir Mortimer being old had the same problem. He grunted and huffed for a few more moments then suddenly said loudly:

"Oh, for God's sake go and turn the bloody tap on, then we can both piss in peace!"

It worked.

I once used the loo in a very posh hotel where a jazz band was playing. The band leader was in there, and he turned to me and said, "I think this is where all the big nobs hang out".

Went for a five mile walk this afternoon. One has to make the most of lovely winter days when they occur so rarely, I think. Streatham Common was looking very beautiful, with the low sun shining through bare trees. It was nearly dark when I got home.

S-A

Comment

Working...
                                X