Stormy Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

It is so oppressive, I keep crashing. The weather's not good either.

(Bill Bryson's 'English' sky today - what he described as like living in a tupperware box)

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      I've rather lost touch with the MBs recently as health is very bad and, icing on the cake, my fridge/freezer has now been off for TEN days and new appliance won't be installed until Friday 13th. Ready meals are revolting so subsist on filled sandwiches, etc and CuppaSoup.
      Poor saly, all best wishes. You are truly having a miserable time at the moment Have you considered, short term, contacting the council for meals on wheels until freezer arrives? I know it means making contact with social services but I know someone who has them, a hot two-course meal a day for £3.20 (council just invested in super state of the art vehicles, she says meals are really excellent and freshly cooked)

As to weather, steady rain here but no flood warnings, unlike those poor people in Midlands and Lancs facing floods (of course, I just see, our London contingent are basking in sun and no roof closed at Wimbledon! Sun shines on the righteous ......... so they say) Also, weather pundits say no improvement, this will continue through to August, bodes well for the Olympics.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Thanks Anna, I should have to move to Wales to get Meals on Wheels - they don't do them here any more. I had themwhen I broke a wrist some years ago and particularly enjoyed the puds, Jam sponge,syrup roll, fruit crumble etc.

Glad weather there is not too bad, saly xx

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Thanks Anna, I should have to move to Wales to get Meals on Wheels - they don't do them here any more.
          I am appalled to learn that.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            I am appalled to learn that.
            So am I. In fact, before I replied to Saly I looked up our Council's record on meals to check daily costs etc. So what do (are you in Sidcup or Bexley saly?) offer? If you say only frozen meals or a private firm like Wiltshire Farms which assume you have a freezer and a microwave then I will be most upset.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

Bexley says it has a frozen meal service, they even say one could hire a freezer

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

This lot might just be worth contacting, (one can but try):

You just have to enter your details in the boxes provided on the right hand side of the homepage that comes up when you click on the above; click on "Community Care"; and write "Wheels on meals" in the empty box below that one.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Marthe a belated happy 4th July to you and all my American relations. I've rather lost touch with the MBs recently as health is very bad and, icing on the cake, my fridge/freezer has now been off for TEN days and new appliance won't be installed until Friday 13th.
                  Ready meals are revolting so subsist on filled sandwiches, etc and CuppaSoup. Still people in the floods have had worse things to put up with.

Today has an awful weather forecast and it has been raining here all night.Allthe best to the Midlands etc.
                  Saly, hope things soon sort themselves out for you,take care.
                  Came home from work to find a lake where there was once a garden,stopped raining now though.

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks all for research but as my fridge/freezer is waiting for a replacement from insurance the idea of hiring a freezer for the next week rather complicates things. I only heard yesterday when it would be done,Friday 13th

It's a private firm that supply frozen meals only, not run by the nice meals' ladies.

We were and still are part of Kent, but like lots of other places now part of a London Borough, BEXLEY.

Comment

• marthe

saly, thanks for good wishes, but I'm worried that things are so rotten for you. I hope your freezer comes soon and that you can get some decent meals in the meantime. All good wishes winging their way across the Atlantic to Kent. Best, marthe

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Seems cold to me but don't know what the forecast is for today.

EdgeleyRob, hope the lake in your garden has gone and today will get better for everyone.

Thanks marthe and all for good wishes, I should keep my troubles to myself but........it's good to talk to friends

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I see the Jetstream has moved to below the first layer of countries in North Africa! The Met people still don't know whyy we are having the weatrher we are having nat the moment?? A mixture, imo, eg climate change, the melting icecap etc.(Mayan Prophecy perhaps?)
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            I see the Jetstream has moved to below the first layer of countries in North Africa! The Met people still don't know whyy we are having the weatrher we are having nat the moment?? A mixture, imo, eg climate change, the melting icecap etc.(Mayan Prophecy perhaps?)
                            You could well be right, BBM.

In 54 years studying the weather as an amateur, and keeping charts, I've never seen weather patterns of the kind we've had for the past 3 summers.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

I normally keep off your lovely thread, but I just checked the forecast, to see how heavy the rain will be tomorrow, and I happened upon an article about the new 10 day BBC forecasts, written by this lady

Jo Wickremasinghe is the Head of Product for BBC Weather in BBC Future Media.

Neat job description.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

It's absolutely pouring here in the SE - hope you are dry and safe and coping.

This is a thank you [not that they will read it ] to the little general or 'convenience stores'
                                that dot the towns and villages around here. I bought some bread, ham, tomatoes, MILK [risky] and a tin of sausages with mixed veg. I shan't starve at least for today.

Remember if you have old or disabled neighbours in these awful conditions - but I am sure you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X