• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    Augener were moved from a large old building in Gt. Marlborough St. to next door to Centre Point, then being built.
    At lunch time we stood on our flat roof and watched the giant next door growing. I never liked the way those T shaped blocks just rested on each other with no apparent support. Getting out of our little building to the Tube Station, there was always a terrible wind blowing. I don't like the rec ent reports on it either Take care cyclists.

Thank you saly!

How interesting you remember the construction. Yes, you can imagine the buffeting I got last night, wind whistling from the south-west and making that last bit of New Oxford Street (where I guess you entered the Tube) very interesting!

I sometimes take friends from abroad to the bar right at the top, Paramount... It's really swish and nice and they do great cocktails. Indeed, I celebrated my 50th up there. Amazing views west and east from the bar, then you can walk up some stairs to a 360º viewing floor (it's an extra floor, it's not outside) which is marvellous.

Are you feeling a little better, saly?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Talybont-on-Usk?!??! I have friends there! Stayed there for a week years ago! Hope they're ok!
      Not Talybont-on-Usk, do pay attention. Did I say Usk? The meaning of Talybont is 'the brow of the bridge' there are loads of Talybonts in Wales because, we have lots of bridges. Bont = bridge, from Norman French, Pont. I'll have you understanding Welsh (given a following wind)

Oh, nice goal Denmark!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Not Talybont-on-Usk, do pay attention. Did I say Usk? The meaning of Talybont is 'the brow of the bridge' there are loads of Talybonts in Wales because, we have lots of bridges. Bont = bridge, from Norman French, Pont. I'll have you understanding Welsh (given a following wind)
        Oh beat it into me, Mistress Anna, beat it into me!! (She's so strict!)

Anyway, glad it's not -on-Usk!

How are you enjoying the game? The Dutch need to get the ball in that net!!

Comment

• Anna

How are you enjoying the game? The Dutch need to get the ball in that net!!
          Is this really the best European football can offer? Hardly heart-stopping stuff is it? Where are the thrills and spills? Oh, next match, Germany v Portugal. Gosh, that promises to be a walkover... sorry, thought it said Germany v Poland
          Last edited by Guest; 09-06-12, 18:46. Reason: second thought

Comment

• PJPJ
            • Nov 2010

Very bad news from Spain:

"Spain agrees to formally request financial assistance to rescue some of its ailing banks, the economy minister says."

Yes, I know. The economy minister has reportedly split an infinitive.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Is this really the best European football can offer? Hardly heart-stopping stuff is it? Where are the thrills and spills? Oh, next match, Germany v Portugal. Gosh, that promises to be a walkover... sorry, thought it said Germany v Poland
              Actually, the reality is sadly that international matches are quite often dull, certainly in terms of runaway goal scoring. It was quite interesting but frustrating to see all those Dutch chances going missing. Heartstopping in a sense - if you wanted the Dutch to score, or of you really didn't want them to!

Comment

• Anna

Actually, the reality is sadly that international matches are quite often dull
                Australia v Wales rugby today was, not dull, and certainly heart stopping. Maybe, these footballers, are saving themselves and not throwing themselves into it, heart and soul, because, at the end of it, they are just guaranteed big bonuses for taking part? Whether they win or lose? Let's face it, it's not World Cup, just a minor Euro thngy

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

A man told his friend he'd been to the Austria-Hungary match.

"Who were they playing?" enquired the friend.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

After what's happened on the west coast of Wales I rather thank that the absence of a following wind might be more than welcome; they've really had a fearsome buffeting (and I did know which Talybont was involved, actually). I was not so far away from there a few days ago in the Cambrians up above Llanwrtyd Wells and I'd never have guessed that such stormy conditions were about to be unleashed on west Wales; it was overcast and occasionally drizzling but nothing spoilt my enjoyment of the truly fabulous scenery that I've never previously seen.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Poor West Wales. And we were moaning about the weather down here!!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Australia v Wales rugby today was, not dull, and certainly heart stopping. Maybe, these footballers, are saving themselves and not throwing themselves into it, heart and soul, because, at the end of it, they are just guaranteed big bonuses for taking part? Whether they win or lose? Let's face it, it's not World Cup, just a minor Euro thngy

That's quite right... Not sure why international games are like that. I think it's tactics and fear.

The rugby does look much more exciting.

Comment

• Anna

You know it makes sense!
                          BBC4 for me tonight, Elegance and Decadence and Sex with Price Regent v Napoleon, then, dirty, gritty, Parisienne cops in Spiral.
                          Football, who needs it? Load of big girls blouses kicking a ball around to no avail

Comment

• aeolium
                            • Nov 2010

Actually international games can be pretty uninspiring in both rugby and football. Club games (like the recent Leinster v Ospreys game, or Champions League football involving Barcelona) can be much more exciting and skilful. National teams have a limited pool of talent to choose from, unlike some clubs, and don't play much together so do not develop much cohesion.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Than a load of boats going down the river in the rain ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                Than a load of boats going down the river in the rain ?

Just can't let it rest, can you!!

Comment

Working...
                                X