• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
    V

H'mm. Reminds me of the customer who went to the grocer's one winter morning, to find the proprietor standing with his back to the stove.

"Is that your Ayrshire bacon?", she asked.

I had to say it to myself a few times, but I got there!!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Cold this morning butwarmer weather promised later.
      Certainly warm here from first light. When I left home at 8am there was such a beautiful smell of grass and meadowsweet and the meadow opposite is slowly turning into a sea of yellow buttercups....... already it's 17.8 and panic this morning as frantic search for more summery attire (having been swathed in layers of various woollies and boots since the last warm spell in March!) Saly, get out in your garden and soak up the Vitamin D !!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Go down to Kew in lilac time,
          In lilac time, in lilac time,
          It isn't far from London.

I can remember reciting this doggerel at about age five, though I've no idea who the "poet" was now. It was required to be delivered in cutesy manner. No doubt it was written a long time ago; Kew is well inside London and has been for at least hundred years. Publicity for a newly opened District Line? Probably the word Kew would more accurately be re-spelt "queue" today. Still, the lilac is out in various shades from purple to white, and what a lovely scent it gives off. Thank you, fellow gardeners, for offering up this wonderful show every year, gratis.

Yep, given sunshine and warmth, this has to be my favourite time of year.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            In lilac time, in lilac time,
            It isn't far from London.

I can remember reciting this doggerel at about age five, though I've no idea who the "poet" was now. It was required to be delivered in cutesy manner. No doubt it was written a long time ago; Kew is well inside London and has been for at least hundred years. Publicity for a newly opened District Line? Probably the word Kew would more accurately be re-spelt "queue" today. Still, the lilac is out in various shades from purple to white, and what a lovely scent it gives off. Thank you, fellow gardeners, for offering up this wonderful show every year, gratis.

Yep, given sunshine and warmth, this has to be my favourite time of year.
            The cloud has yet to burn off in West Cornwall - will it I wonder? The computer says 12 degrees at Culdrose, oviously cooled down from the celebrity heat of Friday!

Comment

• marthe

Rain, rain, rain again. I'm not complaining because my new "free from the city" rainbarrel is filling up quite nicely. The larger house plants are now outside soaking up the rain as well. it's still woolly jumper weather though. We had a warm spell the other day and I had to dig out from the closet a few short-sleeved shirts and summer skirts. No beneficial rays of the sun today. These were called "bennies" by my family because of the vit. D.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Oh dear marthe. Summer has finally arrived here. Had my annual pilgrimage today up to the Wedgwood and Vaughan Williams hills. Warm sunshine. Home made sandwiches and a flask of coffee among the rhododendrons and azaleas. Paradise - and all free.

Let's hope the intended oil drilling doesn't start any time soon.

General John Folliot bought Leith Hill in 1726 and is thought to be responsible for forming the estate as it is today. Leith Hill Tower was built in 1766 by Ric

Last edited by Guest; 22-05-12, 16:40.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                  Oh dear marthe. Summer has finally arrived here. Had my annual pilgrimage today up to the Wedgwood and Vaughan Williams hills. Warm sunshine. Home made sandwiches and a flask of coffee among the rhododendrons and azaleas. Paradise - and all free.
                  Goodness Lats, that brought back memories of regular excursions there as a child when we lived in West London. Many the times I've climbed up Leith Hill!! Rather hot to do it today though .... Didn't know about projected oil drilling

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Goodness Lats, that brought back memories of regular excursions there as a child when we lived in West London. Many the times I've climbed up Leith Hill!! Rather hot to do it today though .... Didn't know about projected oil drilling
                    Thanks for those good memories Anna. Must be my sixth or seventh year in a row. I didn't do the big climb today but have done. Don't think the tower is open on Tuesdays.

Hardly a soul there. Just a few dog walkers and a woman from the National Trust removing thistles. Very peaceful.

The few houses in the area have "say no to oil drilling" signs but they were there last year too. If and when it happens, I hope that they restrict it to a very small area and keep it quiet.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                      Thanks for those good memories Anna. Must be my sixth or seventh year in a row. I didn't do the big climb today but have done.
                      They were good memories Lat, the whole family (and I think the dog?) making the climb, thanks for reminding me of them. Another place (my geography hazy) but can't be far away that we went to was Box Hill. Do you know that? Another energetic Sunday afternoon climb! (It's got to 24.7 today, not conducive to climbing anywhere)

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        They were good memories Lat, the whole family (and I think the dog?) making the climb, thanks for reminding me of them. Another place (my geography hazy) but can't be far away that we went to was Box Hill. Do you know that? Another energetic Sunday afternoon climb! (It's got to 24.7 today, not conducive to climbing anywhere)
                        My first office in the Civil Service - three people before it all became open plan - looked out on Box Hill. 1985-1987. Then it was London. We did a treasure hunt in cars on one memorable evening.

Much earlier, we had friends who lived in a caravan there. Not hippies but an ordinary couple who worked in my father's office. Mixed memories then. Fun times but Box Hill is also a favourite with bikers and gets a bit busy, particularly on weekends.

Leith Hill really feels like getting away from it all but then so does a lot of the Greensand Way and the North Downs Way. I have walked from Guildford to Dorking in a day on the NDW and not seen anybody for hours.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Still dull here!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

It's been wonderful here the past couple of days, & looking set to continue for at least the rest of the week. Rather frustrating really, as my partner is away for the week (walking in Sutherland) so I thought I'd clear out my workroom - but the sun keeps tempting me outside!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Sunny and very warm in Manchester this last couple of days.
                              There's nothing I like better than being stuck in an office on days like this

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                Sunny and very warm in Manchester this last couple of days.
                                There's nothing I like better than being stuck in an office on days like this
                                If the office is nicely air-conditioned, it can be bliss...
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X