Stormy Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marthe

Adding wishes for Anna's safety. Anna, let us know how you weather the storm. Fingers crossed that all will be well.

best,
    marthe

Comment

• Anna

Thanks for thoughts! When it's localised, i.e. the weak point where the bend of the river meets the road, it's the inconvenience and disruption in that people cannot get to work/shops, children to school, without having to get a cab up and round a tortuous route, at several points single-track. If it backs up further upstream then properties are involved. However, overnight it's dropped from 4.96 (16'3") to 4.57 (14'11") which is encouraging although not enough and the Council are really good at clearing away the mud and debris it leaves. I think we are also forecast a mainly dry day as well....
      Edit: Road open, normal service resumed. Flood warning from Environment Agency cancelled, river level continues to fall.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-05-12, 15:29.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Good luck Anna, just murk here at the moment but rain forecast I think. Haven't looked at our little river, the Shuttle, more like a little ditch.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Thanks for thoughts! When it's localised, i.e. the weak point where the bend of the river meets the road, it's the inconvenience and disruption in that people cannot get to work/shops, children to school, without having to get a cab up and round a tortuous route, at several points single-track. If it backs up further upstream then properties are involved. However, overnight it's dropped from 4.96 (16'3") to 4.57 (14'11") which is encouraging although not enough and the Council are really good at clearing away the mud and debris it leaves. I think we are also forecast a mainly dry day as well....
          Edit: Road open, normal service resumed. Flood warning from Environment Agency cancelled, river level continues to fall.
          Oh thank goodness for that Anna! it's very woprrying when you have these situations happening. There is nothing one can do?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Wel, I was right about the lightning - (past himself on the back) - but somebody else got all the heavy rain.
            Yes I saw lightning the other night, just before turning in.

Glad things receded Anna... but for how long...

S_A: do the entrails and tea leaves tend to suggest that this is correct? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/we...rable-May.html

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

We certainly didn't get any!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

April rainfall here was 172.5 mm, more than three times the average for the month and more than twice the total for the first three months of 2012. Thank goodness we had a dry three months or I don't know what state we would be in now!

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

April rainfall here was 172.5 mm, more than three times the average for the month and more than twice the total for the first three months of 2012. Thank goodness we had a dry three months or I don't know what state we would be in now!
                  It's not so great yurr in 'erfrdstn either, though I do not have specific statistics; whatever it is, I blame the cows here (and you wouldn't believe how the locals yurr pronounce "cows" - it's well-nigh untransliterable, it is, look you)...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    It's not so great yurr in 'erfrdstn either, though I do not have specific statistics; whatever it is, I blame the cows here (and you wouldn't believe how the locals yurr pronounce "cows" - it's well-nigh untransliterable, it is, look you)...
                    Well, to be honest, down by here, we refer to all cattle as beasts, and never use the term cows, they are heifers (only townies call them cows) so perhaps that is why you cannot understand your local yokels?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Yes I saw lightning the other night, just before turning in.

Glad things receded Anna... but for how long...

S_A: do the entrails and tea leaves tend to suggest that this is correct? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/we...rable-May.html

No one seems to be picking up on the fact that the so-called "growing" said to be soaking up groundwater otherwise destined for the water table, or lower, is hardly happening, except at the surface. Grass takes much less moisture for growth than do shrubs and trees. Look again, you so-called "experts": foliation has hardly progressed at all since the early warm weather boost at the end of March.

I seriously think the authorities have no clue on how to get the water companies to speed up leaks repairs, so to divert attention government is preparing the public for drastic requirements, ie stand pipes next year, impinging on the disastrous decision made when water was privatised.

I was furious to learn of reservoirs being sold off for profitable housing development today: a spokesperson for Thames Water saying they were no longer in use.

WHY NOT???!!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Well, to be honest, down by here, we refer to all cattle as beasts, and never use the term cows, they are heifers (only townies call them cows)
                        Ah! In these parts "Effers" are the people who run R3.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

No one seems to be picking up on the fact that the so-called "growing" said to be soaking up groundwater otherwise destined for the water table, or lower, is hardly happening, except at the surface. Grass takes much less moisture for growth than do shrubs and trees. Look again, you so-called "experts": foliation has hardly progressed at all since the early warm weather boost at the end of March.

I seriously think the authorities have no clue on how to get the water companies to speed up leaks repairs, so to divert attention government is preparing the public for drastic requirements, ie stand pipes next year, impinging on the disastrous decision made when water was privatised.

I was furious to learn of reservoirs being sold off for profitable housing development today: a spokesperson for Thames Water saying they were no longer in use.

WHY NOT???!!!
                          I heard that while still half-asleep S_A - couldn't believe it - thanks for confirming it

Then some twazzock trying to justify private takeover of some financially failing hospital, which will result in massive profits for private sector & the debt left in place

Brown's PFI madness continues to spread

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup and nearby Orpington Hospital are both said to be 'under threat'. The outlook locally is very worrying. QM goes back to WWI although it was mostly rebuilt in the 60s. My family and myself rely on it. It has a very good Eye Clinic, which I am due to attend this month.

Weather, well, it's raining slightly.

Re foliage, it's an odd year. Apple blossom is out and dropping, no apples this year. The beech hedge is still brown with last year's leaves not replaced by green shoots yet.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Today's temperatures down here are going to be normal again...

...for January...

Comment

• Anna

Today's temperatures down here are going to be normal again...
                                ...for January...
                                Yes, it was 14.7 yesterday, today is 8.1 but feeling colder due to wind chill. I can't agree about slow foliation, all seems normal, but then our water levels were never critical and no hosepipe ban. I read today that The Lords Ag & Fish committee are suggesting big hikes in water bills to encourage people to use less and conserve supplies ..... well, that's fine if everyone in the country had a water meter I guess but how the logic of Thames Water selling off reservoirs fits into the grand scheme of things I have no idea because building houses means more people which means more water is required which means ...... more reservoirs are required!

Comment

Working...
                                X