Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Steady rain since mid-morning here - not as heavy as I'd been expecting from the proximity of the low situated over La Manche. I rather liked the weather woman's term "curl around" just now for the occluded front producing this rain, with its suggestion of a low pressure system as a face with a quiff on top! I've always used the term "wrap around".

I'm not totally convinced by those "experts" who are telling us that the present rains are of little benefit in reducing the drought problem, claiming growing plants to be soaking up what moisture would go straight down to the water table and aquifers in winter. For one thing - as anyone will have noted from the now slowed down emergence of foliage - temperatures are being pegged to levels where plant growth is almost at a standstill, perticularly when the rain falls, as does the temperature. Rain water is percolating through, and so long as it remains cold and continues to rain, the situation is being remedied.

Anyone wants to get anything done outdoors should do it tomorrow, between the showers, since on present predictions Wednesday is going to be the Big One of the Week in terms of lashings of wind and rain.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      I'd rather have news of the buns & of Sky(e) please Mahlerei
      Buns doing well, thanks, though I imagine they'd like some garden time soon. Sky a handful, but good fun. She did manage to get through the hedge into next door's garden last night, which is a worry. Will have to makes sure that doesn't happen again as they've just had their garden redone. At the moment I'm her chew toy (and I've got the scars to prove it).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        I'm not totally convinced by those "experts" who are telling us that the present rains are of little benefit in reducing the drought problem
        I agree! What sort of bloody rain do they want?!??!

I should have thought the wet kind would do perfectly well
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

in the spirit of the old cheers thread i announce a prize of a half pint of Fullers for the first post on page 200 of this thread!

and inspection of the Water in Middle Kingdom yesterday showed a rise of some 6" or so in level - given the surface area that is a huge amount of water .... nowt wrong with our rain!!!
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            in the spirit of the old cheers thread i announce a prize of a half pint of Fullers for the first post on page 200 of this thread!
            That was amateur51 on 4 August last year...

But maybe my page settings are different from yours...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

That was amateur51 on 4 August last year...
              relativity in page numbering!

ah well post 4000 then ..... [if that does not hold all melts and we are lost in a marmalade of uncertainties and non-locatability with lumps in]
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Anna

This April so far we've had 67.1mm rain, compared to last April when it was a measly 6.2mm. The mean average for April here, according to records going back to 1929-2010 is 54.7mm. Despite getting soaked early this morning when I left home it's been quite dry and considerably warmer as there is no wind. Unfortunately all the apple blossom is about to burst forth so if we have the heavy hailstorms again it'll knock it all off as it did with the greengage blossom next door. Rivers are once again looking healthy.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Grey but dry all day in the Pennines. Chilly, too, but the days are getting noticably warmer.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

April showers down here! Lots! Becoming quite dry now though!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• marthe

Well we've had all our April showers in one go since yesterday afternoon. The rain's stopped now bit it's still brisk and cloudy. The apple blossoms are just coming out now, lily-of-the-valley is beginning to bloom, English blue bells have buds, and the daffs are starting to go by. Saturday, while edging the garden, I found a late 18th-cent. pewter shoe buckle (or most of it)! Shall I call in Time Team?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by marthe View Post
                        Well we've had all our April showers in one go since yesterday afternoon. The rain's stopped now bit it's still brisk and cloudy. The apple blossoms are just coming out now, lily-of-the-valley is beginning to bloom, English blue bells have buds, and the daffs are starting to go by. Saturday, while edging the garden, I found a late 18th-cent. pewter shoe buckle (or most of it)! Shall I call in Time Team?

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Wow, a pewter shoe buckle marthe. That's class All I've ever found - years ago I found shrapnel and bits of an aircraft engine. I'd prefer a pewter shoe buckle.

On topic - it;s been raining all night and still is. It's cold and miserable.

Comment

• marthe

saly, yes it was exciting to find the shoe buckle...though my husband's now convinced there's pirate treasure lurking under the garden beds!! The shrapnel and aircraft engine bits are, as they say, "way cool"! Back to the weather: rain is over and it's sunny and windy. Time for me to go out and cut the grass!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                              Wow, a pewter shoe buckle marthe. That's class All I've ever found - years ago I found shrapnel and bits of an aircraft engine. I'd prefer a pewter shoe buckle.

On topic - it;s been raining all night and still is. It's cold and miserable.
                              I had a spooky experience last autumn, staying with rellies in Northern France - they had found a WW2 German soldier's helmet, intact apart for a jagged hole in the top which I hope was rust rather than a bullet hole. It was very strange to put it on (it fitted quite snugly) and to think about its history, and wonder who had worn it - presumably until the second half of 1944...

Back on thread - remarkably lovely afternoon and evening in the metrollopes: golden sunshine and blue skies (no rain all day) and hence a pleasant cycle ride home. Tomorrow doesn't bode well though

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Rather creepy to find that WW2 helmet Caliban.

Wet, wet, and more rain. Strangely dark in the front and sunny in the back of my home, raining hard in both and sounds like a gale blowing down the chimney.

Comment

Working...
                                X