X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

S-A Sun is beginning to melt the snow; are we to expect more in this area, do you know? Meat stocks are running low.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      S-A Sun is beginning to melt the snow; are we to expect more in this area, do you know? Meat stocks are running low.
      Yes saly - at 4 degs C it is much milder than was predicted, though with clearing skies we'd better watch out for slippery surfaces later!

Comment

• amateur51

Definitely a thaw going on here but I've just been advised by my would-be hostess for tonight that "dinner is orf" because of the treacherous conditions underfoot. She & I both have what was known in my family as sparrow's ankles which can turn over without the slightest encouragement

Tinned sardines on toast for me tonight then (and I'll spare a thought for Capns Scott & Oates)

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Tinned sardines on toast for me tonight then :
          ... with, I hope a glass or three of an amusing little sancerre or pouilly-fuissé

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... with, I hope a glass or three of an amusing little sancerre or pouilly-fuissé
            What a good idea, vints!

I read my favourite pseudy wine-tasting note many years ago; referring to a sancerre (I think) the note read: 'sardonic - yet not sarcastic'

Comment

• Anna

The fire I mentioned here on Saturday afternoon - it was a chap doing some welding in his garage - not a lot left of the garage nor the two cars parked (now incinerated) inside it! Luckily no injuries and Brigade stopped it spreading to house. Gosh, it's a tangled and blackened mess and stunk to high heaven when I went past first thing. No snow remaining, no frost, no icy patches and a reasonable 6.9 at the moment, feels colder out though as it's damp. Colder and more snow from Sunday onwards it seems.

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Glad the fire didn't claim any lives. Something sad and depressing about that happening. I can't get warm today, although the heating is on quite high. I think it's the damp, half thawed snow that covers my big lawn.

Another cage full of peanuts scorned by the birds as they are black and frosted.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  The fire I mentioned here on Saturday afternoon - it was a chap doing some welding in his garage - not a lot left of the garage nor the two cars parked (now incinerated) inside it! Luckily no injuries and Brigade stopped it spreading to house. Gosh, it's a tangled and blackened mess and stunk to high heaven when I went past first thing. No snow remaining, no frost, no icy patches and a reasonable 6.9 at the moment, feels colder out though as it's damp. Colder and more snow from Sunday onwards it seems.
                  Good news that no-one was hurt, Anna

Comment

• greenilex
                    • Nov 2010

Only just now beginning to get properly light here today....very damp and dreary weather.

But there are little irises out in the Parks - splendid splashes of colour.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

It's rather better here. Some nice sun at the moment, but piles of snow still around.

Comment

• marthe

Still sunny and warmish here but snow/rain is expected tomorrow. We've been spoiled by the lack of snow and ice thus far! The sun is getting stronger and brighter everyday, though February and March weather can still bring some unpleasant surprises. Today, I'll be out in the garden whacking back the overgrown privet.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                          Only just now beginning to get properly light here today....very damp and dreary weather
                          I'm sure it's not just me - but I would so much rather have frost followed by brightness (even if that means colder) than the kind of grey, dark, dank, damp, depressing day that we've had, and so dark now at 4.30pm, and everything looks drab, dirty and muddy (perils of living in the country) The snowdrops are little clusters of light however. Forecast points to a Northwest/Southeast divide with the latter getting the cold and snow as from Thursday, sorry about that saly!

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks Anna, how much more can the radiators take, or my bank account? Rads seem to have been on 24/7 for ages now.

I agree about murk, don't like that a bit. Still sunny here at 16.40 which I must be thankful for.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              I'm sure it's not just me - but I would so much rather have frost followed by brightness (even if that means colder) than the kind of grey, dark, dank, damp, depressing day that we've had, and so dark now at 4.30pm, and everything looks drab, dirty and muddy (perils of living in the country) The snowdrops are little clusters of light however. Forecast points to a Northwest/Southeast divide with the latter getting the cold and snow as from Thursday, sorry about that saly!
                              The cold bit happened already! The temperature has gone down I reckon about 5° since this morning. But it's been bright and sunny with a cloudless blue sky all day: I agree, Anna, that's far preferable to murk!
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                The cold bit happened already! The temperature has gone down I reckon about 5° since this morning. But it's been bright and sunny with a cloudless blue sky all day: I agree, Anna, that's far preferable to murk!
                                Have you looked at the forecast for your trip to Paris Caliban? Make sure you pack your vest! http://www.weather-forecast.com/loca...recasts/latest

Comment

Working...
                                X