X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Did John Ogdon record the Busoni PC years ago? If so I was in sole charge of the recording fees with EMI I think. 80mins duration and I made up the recording fee, not having a clue. My boss was very pleased and I was taken out for coffee and a cake when he came back from his hols. Such is life

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Did John Ogdon record the Busoni PC years ago?
      Yes he did, salymap. I well remember buying the LP when it was issued.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Did John Ogdon record the Busoni PC years ago? If so I was in sole charge of the recording fees with EMI I think. 80mins duration and I made up the recording fee, not having a clue. My boss was very pleased and I was taken out for coffee and a cake when he came back from his hols. Such is life
        Yes indeed, sal, and very good it is too. The conductor was Revenaugh or something similar.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
          Yes indeed, sal, and very good it is too. The conductor was Revenaugh or something similar.
          Sadly Mahlerei, I never remember hearing it. Parts had be imported from one of the two Breitkopf branches at the time. Leipzig or Weisbaden, East and West branches not speaking then.

Comment

• marthe

I'm glad to see your posts here saly. I hope you're feeling better. Sunny but cool here today. Yesterday was chilly and rainy. They're predicting snow for tomorrow but we'll probably get cold rain and wind... a nor'easter. All my house plants are now inside safe from the cold north wind.Tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of "the perfect storm" of movie fame. Already Rhode Islanders are rushing out to buy bread and milk (a RI joke.)

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

We are having a brief sunny interval, much reported in the weather forecast. Thanks marthe, no worse anyway

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
                I'm glad to see your posts here saly. I hope you're feeling better. Sunny but cool here today. Yesterday was chilly and rainy. They're predicting snow for tomorrow but we'll probably get cold rain and wind... a nor'easter. All my house plants are now inside safe from the cold north wind.Tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of "the perfect storm" of movie fame. Already Rhode Islanders are rushing out to buy bread and milk (a RI joke.)
                http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15502380
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Crumbs, my cousins in Greenwich, Connecticut, have already had one long power cut this autumn.

Comment

• Anna

Crumbs, my cousins in Greenwich, Connecticut, have already had one long power cut this autumn.
                    And mine in North Haven, Connecticut, saly!! Luckily they have a generator during the effects of the hurricane but it's not nice to think of Mother Nature once again descending upon them after such a short interval.

Comment

• David Underdown

I gather there's been 1.3" of snow in Central Park today, and a winter storm warning in force from West Virginia to Maine

Comment

• marthe

Rain and wind here in Newport, with wind picking up to poss. gale force during the night. I've already heard from friends in Pennsylvania who have several inches of wet snow on the ground and intermittent power outages. The joys of winter weather...and the clocks don't go back for another week! Halloween is Monday. Let's hope that the streets are safe for trick or treaters young and old!. Our friends' bonfire party is in a week's time on Sat. 5th Nov. The festivities roll merrily along with Thanksgiving at the end of the month followed by the month-long lead-up to Christmas.

Tomorrow my family and I will be observing the 1st anniversary of our father's death on the eve of Halloween.

Saly and Anna, I hope your families in Connecticut are safely weathering the storm.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
                          the clocks don't go back for another week!
                          NB: they go back here in 3 hours' time!

Good luck, take care and wrap up well!

As Billy Connolly said (doubtless quoted earlier in this thread):
                          "There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes!"
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• marthe

Caliban, It's been a mad scramble to pull all the right clothes (boots, mittens, scarves, wooly hats etc) out of storage...and the snow shovel from the back of the garage. Though it's raining now, we'll be seeing a few snowflakes flying around tomorrow morning when I trudge off to work. Thanks for the 'timely' reminder about the clock change.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

I hope we dont get that weather!! Goodness!!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Does anyone else really dislike the long dark evenings as I do? They've come so quickly this year it seems. Must stock up on light bulbs, tinned food etc. I'm a daylight person definitely and need all the light I can get.

Comment

Working...
                                X