Stormy Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

I've been watching a bit of CNN and they've just had a live report from Newport R.I. where Marthe is. It appears the wind is dropping but the danger would be the water. I have cousins in North Haven, Connecticut (about 100 miles from Newport) and looking just now on local sites they opened evacuation shelters there last night, I'm waiting for a response to my email to them but I guess there's no point in worrying too much as Irene hasn't reached them yet.

And, thanks for the jalapeno growing info, I'll follow all three suggestions!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by marthe View Post
      Still waiting for Irene (or Irenee). We won't see much of anything until tomorrow but should be singing "Good Night Irene" by the evening! FWIW I first encountered the I-ree-nee pronunciation many years ago when I watched the old b&w production of the Forsyte Saga. it was quite popular over here and kept us glued to our seats every Sunday evening when it was broadcast on the local PBS station. I'll keep you posted tomorrow as long as we don't lose power. My husband, with his British cool, calm, and collectedness, keeps urging me "not to flap." lol! He is, at this moment, engaged in that very American pastime of firing up the barbecue.
      All good wishes and the very best of luck, marthe!

Over here, we go ballistic if a large lorry hits a puddle & creates a bow wave!

Your husband's response is perfectly correct of course - when in doubt, eat!

Comment

• scottycelt

Oh, we've had our hurricanes (and floods) in the UK as well, amateur51 ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987

I'm also old enough to remember a very bad one that particularly hit my home city of Glasgow way back in the Sixties ...

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?ARCHIV=0&LANG=en&MENU=Extra&JJ=2008&MM=01& TT=21&FILE=extra_ne.tit

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I have cousins in Greenwich, Connecticut, cousin's husband commuting to NY city every day. I suppose their situation is about the same as Anna's relatives. Yes I must email them.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
            Oh, we've had our hurricanes (and floods) in the UK as well, amateur51 ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987

I'm also old enough to remember a very bad one that particularly hit my home city of Glasgow way back in the Sixties ...

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?ARCHIV=0&LANG=en&MENU=Extra&JJ=2008&MM=01& TT=21&FILE=extra_ne.tit
            Your examples are not sufficiently frequent or recent to amount to a refutation of my basic point, scotty

Any chance of your raising your eyes unto the hills and offering our friend in current danger a few words of solace and comfort, scotty?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Your examples are not sufficiently frequent or recent to amount to a refutation of my basic point, scotty

Any chance of your raising your eyes unto the hills and offering our friend in current danger a few words of solace and comfort, scotty?
              Absolutely no chance, whatsoever, Ams ...

I'm sure our friend will be well-prepared and just fine without me offering mere words of solace and comfort.

Also, I keep in regular contact with a sister who resides in the wilds of Bristol, Maine, where, she informs me, storms, power cuts etc are just about par for the annual course ... and as she used to live in New Orleans she also knows a thing or two about hurricanes as well.

Forgive me for being unusually cynical, Ams, but I can't help feeling that if New York and Washington had not been affected by this particular bout of inclement weather it may well have got slightly less media coverage worldwide, but, as ever, I could be mistaken in that personal opinion of mine .. who knows?

Comment

• amateur51

Absolutely no chance, whatsoever, Ams ...

I'm sure our friend will be well-prepared and just fine without me offering mere words of solace and comfort.

Also, I keep in regular contact with a sister who resides in the wilds of Bristol, Maine, where, she informs me, storms, power cuts etc are just about par for the annual course ... and as she used to live in New Orleans she also knows a thing or two about hurricanes as well.

Forgive me for being unusually cynical, Ams, but I can't help feeling that if New York and Washington had not been affected by this particular bout of inclement weather it may well have got slightly less media coverage worldwide, but, as ever, I could be mistaken in that personal opinion of mine .. who knows?
                As always you're right of course scotty.

I have only one word in response

Katrina

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

I can remember many reports of hurricanes in the USA, & I think most of them didn't affect New York.

I don't think you were being unusually cynical Scotty - just your usual self.

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I've had a report from another relative that relatives in Greenwich CT. are safe and well but have no power at all at the moment Husband who travels to NY every day felt the earthquake recently too. Hope Anna's people are okay too and marthe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                      I've had a report from another relative that relatives in Greenwich CT. are safe and well but have no power at all at the moment Husband who travels to NY every day felt the earthquake recently too. Hope Anna's people are okay too and marthe.
                      A British BBC TV reporter off the coast near NY was standing by a near dead-calm sea at 12 noon (our time), reporting the hurricane eye as an hour and a half in the offing. With any luck the really scary part of the experience will not be too longlasting for those in the thick of it.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                        I can remember many reports of hurricanes in the USA, & I think most of them didn't affect New York.

I don't think you were being unusually cynical Scotty - just your usual self.
                        Oh, even my usual cynical self can remember reports of hurricanes in the USA and many other places, as well, Flossie.

However, I don't think that even the tornadoes that killed hundreds in the southern US States earlier this year got quite the same intense coverage in the UK media as the strong winds that are currently hitting NY. That is not to say there were no reports of the former at all.

Of course, I could be simply imagining all of this, but, in any case, would the good people on the EC of the USA really give a fig what foreign amateur internet pundits residing thousands of miles away think about such things right now?

I honestly very much doubt it, Flossie, don't you ..?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

in any case, would the good people on the EC of the USA really give a fig what foreign amateur internet pundits residing thousands of miles away think about such things right now?

Well, it helped get Tony Blair into bed with George W Bush after 9/11, so I should think they would

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

would the good people on the EC of the USA really give a fig what foreign amateur internet pundits residing thousands of miles away think about such things right now?

So why are you bothering to comment on it, Scotty?

Don't you have something more important to do on a Sunday?

Comment

• scottycelt

Oh yes, Flossie, believe me I have, but it can wait until tomorrow ..

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Been a lovely day down here today. Had not too bad weatherwise at the beer festival I went to. Hope everything is not too bad in Marthe's direction.
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X