• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

marthe
    I hope you’ll escape the worst or even less worst. And I do hope Holly will be back with you soon.

Comment

• marthe

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
      marthe
      I hope you’ll escape the worst or even less worst. And I do hope Holly will be back with you soon.
      Doversoul, you are kind. Holly strolled in the door just as I was posting my last entry! We're hoping for "less worst" also! Beautiful sunset at the moment, so maybe sailor's delight tomorrow (red sky at night etc.) We're supposed to get the full brunt of the storm sometime Sunday afternoon EDT. I'm not working tomorrow and can spend the day battening down anything that hasn't already been stowed.

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

marthe
        Very glad to hear that Holly is back. Keep her safe. And ours is a shepherd’s (red sky etc)

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

we had the minor inconvenience of very heavy rain yesterday but blue skies this morning .... i do so hope that Irene is a real anticlimax and has whacked itself down to manageable intensity by later today! but she looks HUGE from the space station ....
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

One big meterological plug 'ole - upside-down, sort-of. Best of luck, marthe!

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Yes continued good luck marthe. It puts our little cloudburst we've just had into perspective.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Just been a huge crash of thunder here - and I am about to cycle my way to The Cadogan for the afternoon Prom!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Just been a huge crash of thunder here - and I am about to cycle my way to The Cadogan for the afternoon Prom!

Good luck S-A... (I got soaked cycling home from work yesterday)... But here just north of Hyde Park it looks brighter now, indeed some sun. Go now!!! And enjoy the concert
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Thanks, Caliban!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Lovely sunny day here.

Good luck Marthe.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• greenilex
                        • Nov 2010

I do hope Marthe's preparations ensure a safe outcome to the weekend. Here in the Mid West it's glorious sunshine, but I can't help imagining what it would have felt like on my container ship coming past the Statue of Liberty if we'd been three weeks later...

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

I know that this hurricane is an American one, and so perhaps the American pronunciation I-reen is allowable.

Nevertheless - I have to say that for me it grates to hear all the BBC newsreaders saying I-reen rather than using the British style I-ree-nee...

But in any case - and more importantly - I hope that Marthe and any other American fellow-boarders will be safe and unharmed...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            I know that this hurricane is an American one, and so perhaps the American pronunciation I-reen is allowable.

Nevertheless - I have to say that for me it grates to hear all the BBC newsreaders saying I-reen rather than using the British style I-ree-nee...

But in any case - and more importantly - I hope that Marthe and any other American fellow-boarders will be safe and unharmed...

I-ree-nee don't think it matters that much

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              I-ree-nee don't think it matters that much
                              ho ho ho .

Comment

• marthe

Still waiting for Irene (or Irenee). We won't see much of anything until tomorrow but should be singing "Good Night Irene" by the evening! FWIW I first encountered the I-ree-nee pronunciation many years ago when I watched the old b&w production of the Forsyte Saga. it was quite popular over here and kept us glued to our seats every Sunday evening when it was broadcast on the local PBS station. I'll keep you posted tomorrow as long as we don't lose power. My husband, with his British cool, calm, and collectedness, keeps urging me "not to flap." lol! He is, at this moment, engaged in that very American pastime of firing up the barbecue.

Comment

Working...
                                X