Stormy Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Monty

I was a bit previous yesterday when I said there wasn't much happening in the Mendips! We've had three or four inches overnight and it's still flocculating.

(Chris, we used to live in and around Salisbury -- always a very unpredictable weather-area!)

However, now we've trudged the half-mile up the hill to the allotments to feed and water the chickens, and taken the dogs out, the rest of the day's our own. . .

Now, where was that Radio Times? :cool2:

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Hello Uncle Monty- Withnail here!

Surely your signature line should be:-

There is, you'll agree, a certain 'je ne sais quoi' oh, so very special, about a firm, young carrot.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
        • Mar 2007

Plenty of snow here in Winchester - heavier than anything we had last winter. Thankfully, I wasn't due to go into work, so am having a writing day at home, warmed by a jug of coffee and watching the birds flock to the bird table.

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          More snow here too, maybe as much as 25.4mm has now settled on some areas of the lawn and on the roof of the garden sheds. However, the road has as snow to a depth close to 38.1mm. Who knows whether the bus service will make it up the hill in such adverse conditions.
          That's all very well but what's the density of snowflakes per hectare?

Comment

• mangerton
            • Nov 2010

saly, as I'm sure you appreciate, my "teaspoonful" was a slight understatement. Nevertheless, my point about "nothing happens until it happens in London" still stands, I think.

'Twas ever thus.

There's just been a very heavy snow shower here, and another 2-3 inches have fallen in the last hour. We hear that buses have been "temporarily withdrawn".

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
              Hello Uncle Monty- Withnail here!

Surely your signature line should be:- There is, you'll agree, a certain 'je ne sais quoi' oh, so very special, about a firm, young carrot.

This is getting to be a VERY small world -- Chichester is my home town! It used to be a nice place

Don't worry, I have all sorts of quotes lined up for the signature box, starting with "'Tis gawn, we do it wrong, being so majestical"

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Ah, Chichester not far from me Uncle Monty!!!

I think it has stopped snowing!!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                  • Mar 2007

Here's the view from the back door...

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Ah, Chichester not far from me Uncle Monty!!!

I think it has stopped snowing!!
                    Stop it, Brassbandmaestro! We only moved from near Lewes in the Spring. I'm beginning to feel stalked

The BBC Weather site has now changed its mind back again and is suggesting a balmy 5 degrees in a light south-westerly for Saturday in Somerset. I'll believe it when it happens. The novelty of this snowy stuff has long since worn off

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

The weather so bad that I've stopped listening to Radio 3 . That' because I'm permanently tuned in to local radio to check on school closure, etc. Radio Humberside (Humberide doesn't actually exist) listed nearly every school within Hull, N. Linc,. NE LINCS & E Riding of Yorkshire as closed today.

Comment

• amateur51

Nice bird table, IGI - is the pitch of the roof adequate to keep the Celestial Hoovers aka pigeons off the table? I'm thinking of upgrading to a table, currently have a squadron of sparrows (12 at the moment - quite rare in North london these days), a couple of dunnocks, a solitary blue tit (most odd, just one) all attending my seed/nut feedrs, and 3 aforementioned pigeons hoovering up below.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Nice bird table, IGI - is the pitch of the roof adequate to keep the Celestial Hoovers aka pigeons off the table?
                          The collared turtle doves and pigeons can get to the table, but not without some amusing aerobatics! It was bought for me when I moved here a couple of years ago and is frequented by the usual suspects - a family of sparrows, blue tits, great tits, a robin (who, unusually, eats from the seed-feeder, balancing most precariously), long-tailed tits and goldfinches. They are a real joy.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                            • Nov 2010

Have notice that we can post pictures on here which is terrific news. Especially at such a scenic time as this.

However, I have to make a confession. This picture's two years old. I've not being able to get out locally and yet I don't want to miss out on being part of the fun!

This, by the way, is a beautiful and quite unique crescent in Blackheath called The Paragon and it can be found in the South East corner of the heath.
                            Last edited by Stillhomewardbound; 02-12-10, 16:31.

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

Shb, That is beautiful and unique. When were these buildings built, and what are they used for, please?

Comment

• Uncle Monty

I don't actually know, but they remind me of Blackheath. Any other guesses before Stillhomewardbound puts us out of our misery?!

Comment

Working...
                                X