X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    ... in York Minster, there is a chapel dedicated to the either Yorkshire Volunteers or The famous Green Howards Regiment. My late uncle instigated this.
    ... there is also, I think on the north wall of the chancel or transept, one of the most gloriously absurd memorials, [Lora Burton Dawnay, Viscountess Downe] - all in the best Georgian taste -

... I just love the laborious engraving of "For her character and other particulars see the Gentleman's Magazine for May MDCCCXII"

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... there is also, I think on the north wall of the chancel or transept, one of the most gloriously absurd memorials, [Lora Burton Dawnay, Viscountess Downe] - all in the best Georgian taste -

... I just love the laborious engraving of "For her character and other particulars see the Gentleman's Magazine for May MDCCCXII"

That is truly splendid!
      I was particularly relieved to read that all five children had been present at the demise.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        That is truly splendid!
        I was particularly relieved to read that all five children had been present at the demise.
        ... "and three of her old and faithful attendants" too

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

It is currently blowing very hard up in Scotland and NE England. Snow is being widely predicted for Wales and the South generally tomorrow evening/night by the official forecasters, with quite a lot of confidence. I have to say that in my experience, weather set-ups of this kind commonly lead to heavy rain occurring along the cold front turning to sleet or wet snow, at most, falling at 1-1.5 degrees C at sea levels in the south; but since moving here 12 years ago I have known such snow to settle at this altitude, which I have nicknamed the South London Snowline, in spite of us being a mere 250 feet above sea level.

We shall see - I will keep members informed, as doubtless others will. On the UKweatherworld site, which I visit every day, there is talk of a temporary return to normal January temperatures, before things get a lot colder midway through next week, with a blast of north-easterlies from Scandiland affecting East Anglia and the South East in particular bringing sub-zero temperatures and snow showers. The abovementioned weather site has contributions from professionals and general weather enthusiasts, like myself, and good exchanges of opinions between and from all sides without prejudice or status flashing - at the moment on whether or not snow settles less easily on previously wet surfaces - no being the current consensus, interestingly. This morning I have stocked up with half a dozen tins of soup of various exotic kinds which can be microwave-heated in 3 minutes in a measuring jug. I might just get some porridge oats when next I'm up at St Sprees.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Thanks for that SA. Well, when it's going to snow, MrsBBM has a headache and at the moment, she doesn't have one so I reckon we will be ok, down here.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Thanks for that SA. Well, when it's going to snow, MrsBBM has a headache and at the moment, she doesn't have one so I reckon we will be ok, down here.

I must apologise to you for forgetting that yesterday was Day 1 of your new treatment régime up at the Marsden, BBM. I hope everything went OK.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I must apologise to you for forgetting that yesterday was Day 1 of your new treatment régime up at the Marsden, BBM. I hope everything went OK.
                Thanks SA, yes all went quite smoothly. Assessments all went well and have been informed in great detail by the doc as what's going to happen!
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Thanks SA, yes all went quite smoothly. Assessments all went well and have been informed in great detail by the doc as what's going to happen!
                  Good. Well done!!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Good. Well done!!!
                    Indeed - splendid news, Bbm; very best wishes that it stays that way!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Better Marston's than the Marsden!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Opp 'ere [nearly in but west of the Pennines] snow showers moving through pretty quickly, not settling, temp dropping fast, brisk, chilling N/NW wind.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Not looking forward to driving home via A30/A329 from 00:30 tomorrow morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X