• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    Oh wished I had seen that storm!!

30C down south and near enough the same today!
    We were unaffected hereabouts, enjoying at 32 C in St James's Park (29 C up here) possibly the highest temperatures on record for this late in the year - (the 1908 September "record" now looks suspect, recording desiderata not being what would be expected today - and I'm not quite sure why the Met Office and other recognised world authorities stands by them, possibly because they have no choice but to - as well as Gravesend, often quoted for giving top national temperature readings, when the siting of the station appears to leave much to be desired).

Looking at the charts as the weather evolved yesterday left no surprises that some areas would get clobbered - Bristol at one point was showing a reading of 17 degrees C, a north-westerly and rain falling, while at Trowbridge it was sunny, with a south-easterly blowing and temperature of 27 C! And that pattern went for a line going north/south between those two stations for much of the afternoon, with the storms forming over northern France running northwards along it, developing into something more intense all the time until reaching cooler conditions over Scotland and dying away.

Aways fascinating, the weather.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Aways fascinating, the weather.
      - lovely Summer we're having this Autumn!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        - lovely Summer we're having this Autumn!
        Yes, very true! We usually have a week off at this time of year, and always have great weather.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Yes, very true! We usually have a week off at this time of year, and always have great weather.
          It's often been like this. I remember the Augusts of school holidays frequently being a washout and then the weather turning lovely after term started again
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            It's often been like this. I remember the Augusts of school holidays frequently being a washout and then the weather turning lovely after term started again

Yes! Sod's law!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Some big thunderstorms have started kicking off in the Beaconsfield area NW of London in the past hour - the start I imagine of what threatens to be a very stormy period lasting through to tomorrow, ending what has been an exceptional heatwave opf the kind not seen in this country since I were a nipper. I just checked the live lightning charts after noticing a huge cauliflour of a cloud building up to the north-west of here starting to turn frizzy at the upper extremities - a sure sign.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Some big thunderstorms have started kicking off in the Beaconsfield area NW of London in the past hour - the start I imagine of what threatens to be a very stormy period lasting through to tomorrow, ending what has been an exceptional heatwave opf the kind not seen in this country since I were a nipper. I just checked the live lightning charts after noticing a huge cauliflour of a cloud building up to the north-west of here starting to turn frizzy at the upper extremities - a sure sign.
                Just been out for an hour or two on the bike - pretty intense humid heat, pleasant though in the right clothing , but a definite thickness to the air and the blue sky starting to cover over with those cauliflower florets..... Not surprised to see forecasts of rain well before nightfall.

And yes, the M40 getting a real pummelling according to the real-time lightning site around the M25 area.... and it's heading this way! Direct hit on Wembley just now !

EDIT - that little lot seems to be heading around the M25 to the north...
                Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 15-09-16, 16:37.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Yes! Sod's law!
                  Until very recently, Lancashire schools had their Summer holidays in August and had a fortnight break in the middle two weeks of September ("Wakes Weeks"). I was quite used to this, and it wasn't until I worked in a Lancashire comprehensive after fifteen years teaching down South that I realized what a barbaric practice it was expecting kids and staff to work at exactly the moment everybody else was packing their buckets and spades: smack bang in the middle of Proms/EIF seasons, too!

The advantage was lovely weather in September, with holiday costing considerably less than they did in August - it was during a holiday in Wales that the news about the 9/11 attacks emerged.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

a huge cauliflour of a cloud building up to the north-west of here starting to turn frizzy at the upper extremities - a sure sign.
                    Donald Macleod just posted a magnificent photo of the sky above Muswell Hill at about 4.15:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Wonderful picture there! crepuscular rays fanning out from the sun, hidden behind the cumulonimbus cloud.

This is a threat worth following for reports from weather enthusiasts around the country - especially storm enthusiasts! The language is often a bit technical, but, rather like my knowledge of French helping me to understand maybe half of any written Italian I come across, one can generally get the gist of what's being written:

Scroll down to the thunderstorm reports thread. I spend quite a lot of time just reading the threads when there's nothing of interest here - I might even join up!

(Sorry if anyone is having problems linking to the above URL - I can't explain it!)
                      Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 15-09-16, 17:16.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Perhaps it's the Forum's anti-threat software?

It works if you drop the 's' from the url http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Is this the threat erm thread you were referring to? http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/foru...5th-sept-2016/

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Perhaps it's the Forum's anti-threat software?

Uh!!!

It works if you drop the 's' from the url http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Is this the threat erm thread you were referring to? http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/foru...5th-sept-2016/
                          That's the one, Cali - thanks! No idea why it didn't work when I tried it every whichway... as the bishop said to the actress! That is a very good site, whether (no pun) for professionals or amateurs.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Well, oop 'ere in t'fells, it is so steamily hot, thick in atmosphere that it feels a world entirely composed in various densities of opaque, lukewarm water. Fells barely visible, it is still, as if the world is waiting for .......what?

Horrible.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              Well, oop 'ere in t'fells, it is so steamily hot, thick in atmosphere that it feels a world entirely composed in various densities of opaque, lukewarm water. Fells barely visible, it is still, as if the world is waiting for .......what?

Horrible.
                              That sort of atmosphere at close of day always makes me think of:

...Light thickens, and the crow
                              Makes wing to th' rooky wood.
                              Good things of day begin to droop and drowse;
                              Whiles night’s black agents to their preys do rouse.

(Macbeth, Act 4, sc.ii)

Suitably ominous, Draco?

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

Horrible.
                                That sort of atmosphere makes me think of -

Extracts from the Prelude: [Ascent of Snowdon] (See full text.)IT was a close, warm, breezeless summer night,Wan, dull, and glaring, with a dripping fogLow-hung and thick that covered all the sky;But,

Comment

Working...
                                X