Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Glorous here too today, with amazingly strong sunshine for this late in the summer, despite the quite strong westerly, which I was forced to face cycling all the way from here to Sutton due to the undependability of the train service on that line. That same wind made the return journey all the easier, however.

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
      I don't often post on this thread because it is just the same old, same old, boring...............

This must however, be quite the worst summer in thirty years of living in the Highlands of Scotland. Just grey, grey, wet, wet, and not much sun. Ah, well!
      Quite. Very much the same here. Yesterday we had extremely strong wind, the Tay road bridge was open to cars only, and the railway was blocked between Dundee and Aberdeen because a tree had been blown down.

All in August.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
        Quite. Very much the same here. Yesterday we had extremely strong wind, the Tay road bridge was open to cars only, and the railway was blocked between Dundee and Aberdeen because a tree had been blown down.

All in August.
        I'm not at all surprised to read of this. That depression which brought the gales may have been small by midwinter standards, so fortunately for us, aat this distance away we didn't get more than the odd gust nearly toppling the well-weighted gazebo at the garden party I was attending; but it was as tightly wound up.

Much much cooler today - rather a relief in some ways. Looking ahead, I note that a heatwave is anticipated from mid week, next week. I can hear voices pleading: roll on!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

115mph winds up in the highlands of the Cairngorns yesterday!!

Lovely sunny day, today! Unfortunately those wretched clouds have come to spoil it!
          Last edited by BBMmk2; 09-08-16, 18:06.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Dry and sunny here but that was only half the story because the wind was very strong indeed, really difficult to walk against in exposed places.

There is talk of there being a mini-heatwave next week with some hot temperatures as stated on the BBC weather forecasts but nowhere on the BBC's own website can I find anywhere with temperatures exceeding what should be a normal 24 degrees at this time of year. Where are these hot temperatures (30 degrees plus has been mentioned) going to be?
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Rain, mist, westerly blusters, temps low oop 'ere. Where's this high pressure system?????

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Lovely day yesterday, so me and the wife went to www.thatchedinn.co.uk for a couple of pints of Harvey's Sussex Best!
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  Lovely day yesterday, so me and the wife went to www.thatchedinn.co.uk for a couple of pints of Harvey's Sussex Best!
                  I believe John Ireland lived nearby.

Bit cloudy today, which I imagine is likely not to change much over the weekend. I might just make tomorrow my Essex cycling day, if I'm up to it. Been wanting to do this for some time - "events" kept intervening.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    I believe John Ireland lived nearby.
                    I think John Tavener also lived in Hassocks - IIRC, he claimed that annoyed his neighbours by erecting a stone Orthodox cross in his garden.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      I think John Tavener also lived in Hassocks - IIRC, he claimed that annoyed his neighbours by erecting a stone Orthodox cross in his garden.
                      If only they'd called on God to intervene :

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Today's been the hottest August 24th in the UK on record (for those interested to know), with a temperature reaching 32.7 Celsius in Cavendish, which from memory is in Suffolk. It touched 32 C in St James's Park at 3 pm, but only 29.5 C here 7 miles to the south, at an elevation of 250 feet; but still sweltering, with nearly 50% humidity. This would be considered arid in such places as Singapore in its rainy season - some impression of what that feels like is to be gained by visiting the Tropical House at Kew: several friends of mine removed their soaked through T-shirts on exiting the building, and it wasn't the drizzle supply which had wet them! Sunbathing had to be cut short earlier due to a plague of vicious red flying ants, which left a number of red bite or sting marks on my right arm. Everything about the sky formation right now spells thunder on the way - tomorrow if not tonight. It must be terrible having to use the Tube in this weather. Thank goodness I've kept the windows shut to maintain a cool interior!

Edit: I now see 33 C (92 degs Fahrenheit) was reached at 5 pm in St James's Park, and across a large part of London and the 'burbs.
                        Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 24-08-16, 18:10. Reason: It's even hotter!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Today's been the hottest August 24th in the UK on record (for those interested to know), with a temperature reaching 32.7 Celsius in Cavendish, which from memory is in Suffolk. It touched 32 C in St James's Park at 3 pm, but only 29.5 C here 7 miles to the south, at an elevation of 250 feet; but still sweltering, with nearly 50% humidity. This would be considered arid in such places as Singapore in its rainy season - some impression of what that feels like is to be gained by visiting the Tropical House at Kew: several friends of mine removed their soaked through T-shirts on exiting the building, and it wasn't the drizzle supply which had wet them! Sunbathing had to be cut short earlier due to a plague of vicious red flying ants, which left a number of red bite or sting marks on my right arm. Everything about the sky formation right now spells thunder on the way - tomorrow if not tonight. It must be terrible having to use the Tube in this weather. Thank goodness I've kept the windows shut to maintain a cool interior!

Edit: I now see 33 C (92 degs Fahrenheit) was reached at 5 pm in St James's Park, and across a large part of London and the 'burbs.
                          Thanks SA. it was 80F here, couldn't do much at all in the afternoon. had a little stroll in the morning but even then it was 25C! What's 80F converted into Celcius?
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            Thanks SA. it was 80F here, couldn't do much at all in the afternoon. had a little stroll in the morning but even then it was 25C! What's 80F converted into Celcius?
                            26.5 Celsius, BBM. I was right about the likelihood of thunder last evening - well, half-right - as there were a number of high-base thunderstorms (the sort I like best) in a line going north just to the west of Heathrow. Today the forecasters are hedging their bets on whether there will be any thunder for this area: the temperature and humidity are still high, the surface winds are coming down from the orth while the weather approaches from the south west, all being indicators of storms to come - but they may not be here.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Yesterday was a glorious summer's day with temps reaching 28 degrees. What a difference 24 hours makes! As I write it is absolutely hammering down and it's been dull and overcast all day. Still warm enough at around 22 degrees, though. It was dark enough at 7pm to put the lights on, a sign that the summer is waning, supposing that we've ever really had one in the first place.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Has anyone or any region had a summer ... ????

Comment

Working...
                                X