X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
    Coming out of a freezing church this morning was like stepping into a warm bath!
    Yes, I can relate to that, having had a similar experience. It's a balmy 13º C here today, though grey and wet.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Posted by Serial_Apologist
      And yes, we haven't heard from marthe for a long time now. Hope she's all right
      marthe and her family are well and busy. She tells me (I had an email from her) that they were ‘at the northern edge of the storm’ and the snow came to only about a foot. Moreover, her son who was happened to be staying with her did all the snow clearing so she sat in a warm room and enjoyed the pretty snow scene.

She sends her New Year greetings and best wishes to all her friends on the Forum.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Thank you doversoul for the post about marthe. Please send my best wishes to her and glad that is she alright!

A rather good day today! Able to do some music writing today, event though it will be sunny here, today!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

And thanks from me too, doversoul.

Amazingly mild earlier when walking back from the local shops with the sun on my back. It felt more like early April, and I could almost have taken my jacket off.

I took my bike to the local cycle repairers to have a rear wheel spoke replaced. Apparently the wheel has gone so far out of true in the 2 days since the spoke broke (about 3 mm I reckoned on sight) that a new wheel was advised. And not only a new wheel; the axle being non-standard, (no wonder the bike was so cheap - £188 - when I bought it at Halfords 2 years ago!) means he'll have to order one on a special delivery, which will take until Friday to arrive at the earliest; and the brake has itself buckled, meaning it too will have to be replaced! It's one of those olde-style side-pull type breaks which tend to lean to one side causing differential wear to the pads - but he says the frame size rules out a centre-pull break replacement. Anyway, the work's going to total up to £100+. Gone are the days when cycling was a cheap as well as healthy alternative, though someone will doubtless tell me a car or motorcycle would have cost me much more.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Gone are the days when cycling was a cheap as well as healthy alternative, though someone will doubtless tell me a car or motorcycle would have cost me much more.
            ... yes indeed - have you seen the prices for Hispano-Suiza parts??!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... yes indeed - have you seen the prices for Hispano-Suiza parts??!!
              I wouldn't dare look, vints.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

After a dull, windy, dry start, sudden fleets of rain sweeping in from S/SW on an accelerating wind. Fells rapidly whiting out.

Comment

• marthe

Just dropping in to say hello from snowy Newport, RI where the snow is glittering in the bright sun. Temps are now above freezing with a warming trend (as they say on the Weather Channel) helping to melt some of our accumulation of white stuff. We got 10-12" here in southern New England. My sisters in the NYC area are clearing up after a snowfall of more than 2 feet! Visiting Cardinals (birds with red feathers) make a pretty sight as they hop about the snow looking for food. I hope our storm subsided as it crossed the Atlantic. No news is good news from a sister-in-law who now lives in the Azores and has become our mid-Atlantic weather forecaster. My best wishes to all Stormy Weatherites! marthe

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
                    Just dropping in to say hello from snowy Newport, RI where the snow is glittering in the bright sun. Temps are now above freezing with a warming trend (as they say on the Weather Channel) helping to melt some of our accumulation of white stuff. We got 10-12" here in southern New England. My sisters in the NYC area are clearing up after a snowfall of more than 2 feet! Visiting Cardinals (birds with red feathers) make a pretty sight as they hop about the snow looking for food. I hope our storm subsided as it crossed the Atlantic. No news is good news from a sister-in-law who now lives in the Azores and has become our mid-Atlantic weather forecaster. My best wishes to all Stormy Weatherites! marthe
                    Marthe!

Lovely to hear from you, as well as reassuring!

Warm s

Comment

• marthe

Aww...thanks S_A! I've been busy with family obligations after the death of my mother in late October. Things are now down to a dull roar so I've now got a bit more time to catch up. m.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

WILD, WILD stuff oop 'ere, sheds of rain and ferocious wind: western windows, sluicing, battered and shaking, northern windows totally rain-free. Trees in travail and torment.

Described as 'wet and windy' on BBC forecasts. I'd like that team to come and look out of my west-facing windows and repeat that smiley cliché, or walk the path I'm going to have to in half an hour to get to a doctor's appointment.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

WILD, WILD stuff oop 'ere, sheds of rain and ferocious wind: western windows, sluicing, battered and shaking, northern windows totally rain-free. Trees in travail and torment.

Described as 'wet and windy' on BBC forecasts. I'd like that team to come and look out of my west-facing windows and repeat that smiley cliché, or walk the path I'm going to have to in half an hour to get to a doctor's appointment.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Marthe!
                            Lovely to hear from you, as well as reassuring!
                            Warm s
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Bit of a contrast in the Pennines between yesterday - mild (verging on warm) and dry if overcast - and today's wild, wet and windy morning.

But even so, the conditions are more those expected in early March rather than late January - the first flowering snowdrop was a slight eyebrow-raiser on Sunday, but the first flowering Iris yesterday was a real jaw-dropper: surely these shouldn't be seen before the end of February at the very earliest?
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
                                Great to hear your alright, marthe!
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X