Stormy Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Thick frost, freezing fog and treacherous ice! Spiders' webs thickly encrusted like lace doilies. Fog took an age to clear, around midday, despite sun's best efforts to burn it off, then blue skies and very sunny and very cold. Frost even now still lying where it's in deep shade from trees, as sky is still clear it'll be frosted frost tomorrow.
    Heigh Ho! Milder conditions on the way and back to double digits on Thursday.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

The snow of Sunday had mostly vanished by yesterday, and the temperature higher by four degrees or so - regular patches of sunshine, too. Today, the temperature remains relatively mild in the Pennines, but a thick mist (not quite thick enough to have passed its Fog-levels) covers the landscape: everything looking as if we're seeing it through tracing paper.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Hard, hard frost overnight, snow still on the tops, but what a fabulous day of unbroken sun and even a touch of slight warmth in it. I don't deserve to live in a place like these hills.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Hard, hard frost overnight, snow still on the tops, but what a fabulous day of unbroken sun and even a touch of slight warmth in it. I don't deserve to live in a place like these hills.
          ... good to hear that you're getting a bit of a reward after the miserable weather you had earlier

London's been quite sparkling the last couple of days - we do all right down here too!

Comment

• Anna

ditto here. Couldn't work out if we had hoar or rime - it was a real Winter wonderland, initially I did think there had been light snow. Every twig, every bit of vegetation, had wonderful spears of crystalline frost spears (all pointing in the same direction!) so grass was white, trees were white, roofs were white. We were warned it would be the coldest night and it was -6 but not as thick freezing fog as yesterday so it did get sunny quicker. Didn't get above freezing until midday, dropping steadily, now around -1, totally clear sky. Still thick white where the sun hasn't touched it. Wish I'd had a good zoom camera to get close ups of the frosted plants - the teasel heads looked particularly spectacular.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Sunshine frost this morning. In the countryside, it looked quite like a picture postcard. Unfortunately tomorrow, temperature rising again and yes, you guessed it, RAIN!!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Sunny here eventually after the fog lifted too: 7.52 kWh of solar power generated today and 7.16 kWh yesterday.
                But significantly the worst generating quarter since the panels were installed (tomorrow's the day to report my meter reading). Not really enough generated to run the SAD light needed to fight the gloom!

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Minus 7 here this morning.

I have been using some stuff called pre icer on my cars, which claims to make morning de icing much easier.

Its pretty good too. Is it a new Product ?
                  ÂŁ2 in Wilkos.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Well, if that rain hits the slab of well below freezing air holding court oop 'ere, it'll mebbe snow.
                    Tonight brilliant moon and fine stars. Wind ESE still.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Couldn't work out if we had hoar or rime
                      There really isn't any demarcation line between hoar frost and rime: the latter being a more exaggerated version of the former by virtue of the dewpoint (i.e. 100% humidity point, at which fog forms) having risen above the ground and things close to it offering surfaces for moisture to condense onto and then freeze.

Last night as my friend and I were walking home from Forest Hill station we noticed how even our breathing was resulting in huge clouds of "steam" around us, signifying how close to the dewpoint the air temperature was, and I said to him, "You do realise we are effectively causing fog to form, don't you?"

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Well no wet stuff yet! The sun is still doing it's best!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          There really isn't any demarcation line between hoar frost and rime:
                          I always thought rime was caused by sailors, especially when old, whereas hoar frost was brought about by......

I'll get my coat (and hat, gloves, and scarf).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                            I always thought rime was caused by sailors, especially when old, whereas hoar frost was brought about by......

I'll get my coat (and hat, gloves, and scarf).
                            Make mine a shanty, please!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                              ... whereas hoar frost was brought about by......
                              You're tiny; and it's frozen!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Penetrating damp, temp dropping, no sun, wind swinging NW/NE. Utterly nasty after yesterday's glory. And my tiny hand is frozen too.

Comment

Working...
                                X