• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Yes, it is isn't it, BBM? I'm glad to be back and online again, I've missed you all.
    You can tell I am full of the joys of Christmas and goodwill to all mankind. Festival of Nine Lessons always does that. Be good tomorrow everyone, be kind to all and to yourselves.
    Christmas not Christmas if Nine Lessons and Nine Carols not been seen on TV!

Sympathies for people up north who are suffering the consequences of rain swept areas of North of England!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

There's been non-stop rain here all day. I'm just back from visiting family in Fife, out in the country. The small country roads are showing some signs of flooding, with a lot of water coming off the fields, but nothing too bad yet.

Sympathy for and thinking about all those poor souls who are affected in all the various parts of the UK.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Whacking it down up here driven by fierce winds and then about an hour ago, just suddenly stopped. An eerie quiet.
        Fields totally waterlogged, paths spectacularly eroded on fells, folks inextinguishable.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

This tendency for repeat flooding in the same areas isn't lkely to change for another week, with yet one more big blow and deluge anticipated around Wednesday as an unbelievably deep low moves north to the west of Ireland and its fronts slowly cross the country. I've just been watching the pictures: Lancs and the West Riding seem to have been particularly clobbered with flooding today, with York expected to receive the aftermath later tonight and tomorrow. To think I once had a girlfriend in Sowerby Bridge! This cold front that's brought all the rain is right now slipping into the Midlands, its rainbelt narrowing all the time as temperatures equalise each side of it, and should be east-west aligned just north of the M4 corridor as spits and spots tomorrow before pushing back north as a warm front, much weakened. Not that that's any comfort. Nor are "Brummie Simon's" predictions as he forecasts a short cold spell in the middle of January, and then a real cold blast at the start of February, which should be a largely dry spell - again no consolation to people marooned at best in the upstairs of houses without heat, water or electrics.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Sun here this a.m. Dazed landscape cringing against the next blow. No taking the sun very seriously.

Deepest sympathies for Lancs and North Yorks. At least here we more or less expect extremes now and again, but real cities / suburbs don't, and one would guess that the shock is far greater.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Sympathies for those poor people in the north of UK. Thankfully not too bad down these parts!
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Anyone thinking of popping out to Iceland

or to the Faeroes

or for that matter, to Bailey

might want to leave it for a while........

Not sure I've ever been aware of the word "phenomenal" used as a technical term in a weather forecast...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Not sure I've ever been aware of the word "phenomenal" used as a technical term in a weather forecast...
                  I can tell you're not a seasoned sailor!! Phenomenal is the highest description of the state of the sea used in shipping forecasts and means waves of more than 14 metres, below that is very high (9-14m), high (6-9m) etc., down the scale. Whether Admiral Fitzroy decided on that word I'm afraid I don't know.
                  I've been woken up again by the raging wind of storm Frank and the various bumps and crashes outside, rain stopped now, that's expected to come in around 9am again here. I haven't even looked at the news it's just too depressing to see what's happening up North.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

It's all over Iceland, surrounding it totally. Yes Hurricane Force.

Not too flooded where you are, Anna?

Rather windy today. Rain later. Thankfully not as bad as elsewhere in the country(we certainly can't moan!)
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

it's just too depressing to see what's happening up North.
                      We're off to near Oban this afternoon. Fingers crossed. The Erskine Bridge is still open but the A82 after Dumbarton is only just passable due to flooding from the River Leven. This might get worse.

I see the road from Dumbarton to Helensburgh is closed, perhaps due to fallen trees.

Blustery but no rain yet here in S Yorks. The A19 from Whitley to Selby is still flooded. I drove down it on Sunday night just after the fields on either side of the road had filled. The verges were full of anxious homeless bunnies
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I got a mention on Radio 3 today!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          I got a mention on Radio 3 today!
                          On the weather forecast...? (assuming from the thread title....)

Hope you haven't got a waterlogged tuba, Bbm!

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

I have been wondering when anyone was going to mention high winds. Here we seem to have had many weeks of windy weather (at least 4) and I fear that some of our fences may blow down - yet again. Things do seem to have got a lot worse in the last year or two.

Agree about feeling sympathy with those whose homes and businesses have been damaged/wrecked by flooding. Really sad, and the odd run of blown over fencing just doesn't compare. The insurance situation (or often complete lack of it) for floods and wind damage is also a matter of concern, though presumably HMG will come up with some ineffectual "solution" and comments about "one in a thousand year run of weather .....".

Real comfort to those who suffer, and have to recover, and have presumably now rather little effective equity in the homes which they live in, and will find difficult to sell!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

I can tell you're not a seasoned sailor!!
                              True, Ducks - sail I do not. The words "bonjour, matelot" are foreign to my lips...

Comment

Working...
                              X