• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

RVW and Britten on Countryfile....

... BBC1 at 6.20pm today. Prepare to be infuriated by the presentation, but it was, I suppose, a commendable example of the BBC's recent attempts to 'dumb up' , i.e. to get a bit more Kulcher on the popular programmes. The theme was, roughly, musicians inspired by the countryside; but be warned, it did include people dipping violins into a babbling brook. The most poignant moment was a short interview with an obviously emotional Steuart Bedford.

Last edited by ardcarp; 13-10-14, 00:26.
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

A friend told me about this, so I did watch it. I think I've seen the Britten bit before. You are right about being infuriated - an inaccuracy every three seconds, it seemed - but, as you say, a brave attempt at Kulcher. Better than nothing, perhaps.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

I thought CWG, was rather emotional when he saw RVW's baton? Yes a good attempt by BBC to dumb up. Might get other people to delve into the music we all love.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Might get other people to delve into the music we all love.
        Let's hope so. You never know who turns out to be a 'real music' lover. One of my g-kid's parents is a burly cop (hope he's not a member of this Forum!) who looks, sounds and acts macho. But the said friend was at our house the other day and RVW's Fantasia on Greensleeves was on the radio. 'Ooh, my Dad's always playing that in the car', says she. And on further investigation, it turns out that The Lark Ascending and The Fantasia on a Theme of TT were known to her via Dad's BMW SUV. When Dad picked her up, it turned out he was also a fan of New College Oxford, and he had Agnus Dei and Nativitas (mood compilations) in his glove-box.

Well, well.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Reminds me of a late uncle of mine who was of the hard drinking, hard smoking, hard swearing sort - but he loved opera!

Sometimes it only needs a tiny spark to set off a big interest and it could well happen to someone watching Countryfile, liking what they heard, buying a CD and away they go.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
          X