X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Risorgimento View Post
    Please don't put words in my mouth Where have I said that ?

"many of you would find a way to blame it on the bankers and rich people!"

Perhaps I misunderstood you, but it looks a lot like letting the perpetrators off the hook, (and by extension blaming the victims0 to me !!)

Quite agree although quite what it has to do with my riposte re paint drying I'm not sure.
    I'm not sure what the drying paint actually has to do with anything, but there you go.

Incidentally, I once knew a person who was researching paint, and it actually was his job to study the details of paint drying.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      I'm not sure what the drying paint actually has to do with anything, but there you go.

Incidentally, I once knew a person who was researching paint, and it actually was his job to study the details of paint drying.
      Watching snowflakes melt is quite an interesting pursuit, irrespective of political significance, btw. The speed with which they dissolve into water is dependent among variables too numerous to enumerate on but include air humidity and temperature, the temperature of the surface onto which they alight, observer distance from the landing snowflake and his or her bodily temperature, whether or not he or she holds his or her breath, and in association with the last two factors wind velocity and direction vis-a-vis the positioning of observer relative to snowflake.

I just thought I'd mention that...

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Just the thing to cool things a little!
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Just the thing to cool things a little!
          Not of course were the observer to be a dragon. But there again, God knows...

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

I see the lyric has -

"God only knows what I'd be without you".

I presume the writer meant : "Only God knows what I'd be without you".

To limit God's supposed omniscience to the one trivial fact of "what I would be without you" seems to me impertinent.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              I see the lyric has -

To limit God's supposed omniscience to the one trivial fact of "what I would be without you" seems to me impertinent.

... it's common parlance, innit.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Watching snowflakes melt is quite an interesting pursuit, irrespective of political significance, btw. The speed with which they dissolve into water is dependent among variables too numerous to enumerate on but include air humidity and temperature, the temperature of the surface onto which they alight, observer distance from the landing snowflake and his or her bodily temperature, whether or not he or she holds his or her breath, and in association with the last two factors wind velocity and direction vis-a-vis the positioning of observer relative to snowflake.

Very interesting.

does that include the observational effect Quantum wise, S_A?
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

... it's common parlance, innit.
                  I didn't really think we would ever see the surfers' favourites appearing in Pedants Paradise, but its going to happen.......

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Very interesting.

does that include the observational effect Quantum wise, S_A?
                    Enhanced, yes, because by chance I heard the word twice on Today this morning, and once yesterday...

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      I see the lyric has -

I think 'God only knows' means 'Me, I can't imagine' - as M Caliban says, an 'idiotic saying' :-)
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                      X