Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    You can never really say what you like. Even the truth can be libellous.
    But ex-teachers can say what they think about education - and so-called education experts.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
      I have not heard this performance and hope it has success in its charitable aims. I do have reservations though in turning one of the sublime peaks of the Beach Boys' output into a singalong free-for-all. Perhaps I am just being curmudgeonly.
      I think I made a similar comment on the Brahms board the day it was launched. Should have been left alone.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

I do have reservations though in turning one of the sublime peaks of the Beach Boys' output into a singalong free-for-all.
        Well... they did get Brian Wilson on board!

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

I always thought it a rather anonymous name for a pop legend. Belongs more to chartered accountant or a geography teacher.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            ...and even the Beach Boys managed that for the 50th Anniversary.

It would be interesting to hear a remake of Pet Sounds without the rent a crowd of 'God Only Knows' but Nicola Benedetti in 'Don't talk' or 'I just wasn't made for these times' could make a wonderful contribution.

Comment

• muzzer
              • Nov 2013

I'm sorry this proved so contentious. All for a good cause etc

FWIW I'd love to hear Pet Sounds (and many other BB/BW songs) arranged for strings.

Comment

• Risorgimento

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                Instead of being supercilious and sneering about C in N and the many people who give their services free. why not be a proper person, abstain from buying CDs for 3 months and donate the money saved. Both you and the beneficiaries will feel better.
                +1. There are a lot of miserable old gits here, it would seem.

Comment

• Risorgimento

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Only once the tax system is revised and well-off people pay lots more towards public services and into thecsystem generally. Then I'd be thrilled to donate to voluntary organisations doing what they do best: innovation, identifying & responding to new & unpopular needs, local services by & for local people all over the needy world.

Ask yourself why CiN was so heavily mobbed by disabled people for so long.
                  Still the curmudgeon, I see. Ever the soapbox, eh?

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Risorgimento View Post
                    Still the curmudgeon, I see. Ever the soapbox, eh?
                    by curmudgeon, you seem to mean
                    " has a different opinion to mine".

Its not popular with the folks at the top, having opinions different to theirs.

You know, like in Turkmenistan.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

+1. There are a lot of miserable old gits here, it would seem.
                      A typo here, I think, Simon? Surely:

"There are a lot of miserable old gits here +1, it would seem"?
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Risorgimento

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        by curmudgeon, you seem to mean
                        " has a different opinion to mine".

Its not popular with the folks at the top, having opinions different to theirs.

You know, like in Turkmenistan.
                        No, I don't mean that at all. I mean 'banging on and on about the same old things at every opportunity'. One could have a thread on watching paint dry and many of you would find a way to blame it on the bankers and rich people! I was wondering which of the acolytes would leap to his defence first

Comment

• Risorgimento

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          A typo here, I think, Simon? Surely:

"There are a lot of miserable old gits here +1, it would seem"?
                          Um, sorry, don't quite see the reference to Simon. Cowell? Says? You're going to have to help me on this one.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

No, I don't mean that at all. I mean 'banging on and on about the same old things at every opportunity'. One could have a thread on watching paint dry and many of you would find a way to blame it on the bankers and rich people! I was wondering which of the acolytes would leap to his defence first
                            ah, so we should blame the victims then, and not the people who cause financial meltdown, or the politicians who decide that its every person for themselves and sod the weak and vulnerable.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Incidentally, it is a perfectly reasonable and honourable point of view to think that we collectively, through government, should deal with problems that need a lot of money spending on them.

Quite why "Children in need" aren't top of the list of government jobs to do is beyond my understanding.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Risorgimento

ah, so we should blame the victims then, and not the people who cause financial meltdown, or the politicians who decide that its every person for themselves and sod the weak and vulnerable.

Thanks for clearing that up..
                              Please don't put words in my mouth Where have I said that ?

Incidentally, it is a perfectly reasonable and honourable point of view to think that we collectively, through government, should deal with problems that need a lot of money spending on them.
                              Quite agree although quite what it has to do with my riposte re paint drying I'm not sure.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                You can never really say what you like. Even the truth can be libellous.
                                Only, possibly, if you can't prove that what you said was true. Justification - that what you said is true - is a defence :-)
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X