X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
    Instead of being supercilious and sneering about C in N and the many people who give their services free. why not be a proper person, abstain from buying CDs for 3 months and donate the money saved. Both you and the beneficiaries will feel better.
    Is that aimed at me, as it followed my post?

because if it is, if its ok with you, I'll actually hold my own opinions, and keep the personal stuff off the board.

It is actually just fine not to follow the establishment line, IMO.

Oh, and I support charities as I see fit.

Like you do, I would think.
    Last edited by teamsaint; 09-10-14, 10:44.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Instead of being supercilious and sneering about C in N and the many people who give their services free. why not be a proper person, abstain from buying CDs for 3 months and donate the money saved. Both you and the beneficiaries will feel better.
      To show what a proper person you are no doubt you will be the first to upload a copy of the receipt for your donation? Moreover, have you ever stopped to ask yourself how many charities we may all already donate time/services/goods etc to already?

By the way, any reason why Children in Need is a more worthy charity than any of the thousands of others? Researching a bit further, I find there have been several controversies that a sizeable chunk of donations do not get used for funding projects and that those projects which are funded frequently either fail to meet their objectives or do little to alleviate the root cause of the issues.

Now go away and stop wasting our time.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        However, Zuckers does have a point - how about, for every post we make on this Thread pointing out how naff and irritating this arrangement of a perfectly decent song and, especially, the video that accompanies it are we donate a fiver to a charity of our choice?
        Ferney, are you saying (as I think you are) that endlessly talking about the quality of the arrangement is rather boring (and thus worthy of the suggested £5), which is fair enough? its not the first bad arrangement of a song, and it won't be the last....quality isn't really an issue here?

or are you suggesting that we should pay for discussing the merits of these mega charity celeb spectaculars, which I guess FF might want to see in the dungeon anyway ?
        Last edited by teamsaint; 09-10-14, 11:02.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          those projects which are funded frequently either fail to meet their objectives or do little to alleviate the root cause of the issues.
          Could be said about many BBC projects surely? - bad show

Selecting grant applications and monitoring their progress is rarely an exact science - and committees do like to be seen to take risks and be innovative

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

And scanning posts 1-8 I'm not clear who was being supercilious and sneering. In my case, merely mystified. I now understand it's a charity CD.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

The CD went out simultaneously on every BBC radio and tv channel at 2000 on Tuesday night (7/10) - which meant, for Radio Three, in the middle of a Brahms concert . Dr Service duly went into superlatives mode, as did P Trelawney and R Cowan on Wednesday morning: clearly everyone had been issued with their instructions. I was surprised that my text to Mr Trelawney, somewhat critical of the previous night's intrusion into the concert, was not read out on Breakfast....

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                ... and someone who looked a bit like Brahms conducting the BBCCO.

the young, fresh-faced one who looks like a girl or the old bearded curmudgeonly one ...?

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

scotty, would you ever give over Brahms-bashing. I thought you had seen the grievous error of your ways.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    Dr Service duly went into superlatives mode, as did P Trelawney and R Cowan on Wednesday morning: clearly everyone had been issued with their instructions.
                    You know I bet they really hate having to toe the line in this way, (just as I have to pretend to think Wider Opportunities is great ). They are victims too.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I have not heard this performance and hope it has success in its charitable aims. I do have reservations though in turning one of the sublime peaks of the Beach Boys' output into a singalong free-for-all. Perhaps I am just being curmudgeonly.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        You know I bet they really hate having to toe the line in this way, (just as I have to pretend to think Wider Opportunities is great ). They are victims too.
                        Just wait for the freedom of being retired. You can think - AND say - what you like.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                          Just wait for the freedom of being retired. You can think - AND say - what you like.
                          well that is a lovely thought, Vodders, but .....well...I expect you have read Catch 22.......
                          Last edited by teamsaint; 09-10-14, 18:18.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Ferney, are you saying (as I think you are) that endlessly talking about the quality of the arrangement is rather boring (and thus worthy of the suggested £5), which is fair enough? its not the first bad arrangement of a song, and it won't be the last....quality isn't really an issue here?

or are you suggesting that we should pay for discussing the merits of these mega charity celeb spectaculars, which I guess FF might want to see in the dungeon anyway ?
                            Not really either, ts - I was suggesting that, as we're not going to buy the CD/download of the naff arrangement, we might all show appreciation for the sentiments for making said naff arrangement by just shifting a bit of cash in the direction of our favourite charity[/ies] (perhaps especially if we feel that it might be overlooked during the CinN promotion) every time we make a posting on this Thread. Whatever we decide to talk about, there will be the usual interesting and witty comments that we have come to expect on the Forum.

And you do realize that this has cost me another fiver!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                              You can never really say what you like. Even the truth can be libellous.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                Not really either, ts - I was suggesting that, as we're not going to buy the CD/download of the naff arrangement, we might all show appreciation for the sentiments for making said naff arrangement by just shifting a bit of cash in the direction of our favourite charity[/ies] (perhaps especially if we feel that it might be overlooked during the CinN promotion) every time we make a posting on this Thread. Whatever we decide to talk about, there will be the usual interesting and witty comments that we have come to expect on the Forum.

And you do realize that this has cost me another fiver!
                                i see. thanks for clarifying.
                                Naff arrangement swear box ....oops........

Comment

Working...
                                X