what we've done to deserve that....
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
    what we've done to deserve that....
    Incomprehensible threads?...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

The penny's just dropped. I turned the radio on at 0858 yesterday, on what I thought was Radio 3, only to hear strains of the Beach Boys. I re-entered the Sky code for R3, assuming some mistake, but no. It was Radio 3, and the Beach Boys. I was just going out (leaving the radio on for Mrs T) but hung around to hear it out. Petroc said something about Danielle de Niese, and Children in Need. Was she singing? I dunno. No idea. Words fail me.

Comment

• Radio64
        • Jan 2014

...why they have to do these things. Mercifully the 1997 one passed me by.
        One of the advantages of being an expat.

PS Nicola Benedetti also on it. Apparently.
        "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          The penny's just dropped. I turned the radio on at 0858 yesterday, on what I thought was Radio 3, only to hear strains of the Beach Boys. I re-entered the Sky code for R3, assuming some mistake, but no. It was Radio 3, and the Beach Boys. I was just going out (leaving the radio on for Mrs T) but hung around to hear it out. Petroc said something about Danielle de Niese, and Children in Need. Was she singing? I dunno. No idea. Words fail me.
          A penny drops. I didn't hear it. Thank goodness.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Radio64;434983]...why they have to do these things. Mercifully the 1997 one passed me by.
            One of the advantages of being an expat.

PS Nicola Benedetti also on it. Apparently.[/QUOTE

you'll appreciate this extraxt from a Morrissey song, Rads.

says it all about this kind of thing, IMO.

This world is full
            So full of crashing bores
            And I must be one
            'Cause no one ever turns to me to say
            "Take me in your arms
            Take me in your arms and love me
            And love me"

What really lies
            Beyond the constraints of my mind?
            Could it be the sea
            With fate mooning back at me?
            No, it's just more lock-jawed pop-stars
            Thicker than pig-shit
            Nothing to convey
            So scared to show intelligence
            It might smear their lovely career
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• muzzer
              • Nov 2013

Apols Pab, I didn't want to draw too much attention to it.....

Poor Morrissey has other things on his mind right now.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                Apols Pab, I didn't want to draw too much attention to it.....

Poor Morrissey has other things on his mind right now.

yes, lets hope Morrissey comes through well .

the world needs him
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Zucchini
                  • Nov 2010

Instead of being supercilious and sneering about C in N and the many people who give their services free. why not be a proper person, abstain from buying CDs for 3 months and donate the money saved. Both you and the beneficiaries will feel better.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

O, my little marrow, instead of being supercilious and sneering about R3 Forum and the many contributors to it who give their time and money to charitable causes, why not abstain from supporting the Beeb at every opportunity for three months and donate a fiver to C in N every time you feel the urge? Both you and the beneficiaries will feel better. And, sure as hell, we will.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

However, Zuckers does have a point - how about, for every post we make on this Thread pointing out how naff and irritating this arrangement of a perfectly decent song and, especially, the video that accompanies it are we donate a fiver to a charity of our choice?
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                        Instead of being supercilious and sneering about C in N and the many people who give their services free. why not be a proper person, abstain from buying CDs for 3 months and donate the money saved. Both you and the beneficiaries will feel better.
                        Only once the tax system is revised and well-off people pay lots more towards public services and into thecsystem generally. Then I'd be thrilled to donate to voluntary organisations doing what they do best: innovation, identifying & responding to new & unpopular needs, local services by & for local people all over the needy world.

Ask yourself why CiN was so heavily mobbed by disabled people for so long.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          However, Zuckers does have a point - how about, for every post we make on this Thread pointing out how naff and irritating this arrangement of a perfectly decent song and, especially, the video that accompanies it are we donate a fiver to a charity of our choice?
                          Several things to say:

There seems some doubt about the purpose of the BBC-wide event: is it to 'launch BBC Music' or to sell the CD for Children in Need? Or does one conveniently help the other?

the megastar line-up - whatever it's for - is something only the BBC could achieve

megastars love being involved in charity events

the resultant CD is not of interest to everyone, and certainly not because for nanoseconds we glimpse Nicola Benedetti, Danielle de Niese, Katie Derham and someone who looked a bit like Brahms conducting the BBCCO.

I prefer this sort of brash pop entertainment to be associated with the whole BBC, rather than the pop efforts of Radio 3 alone (as in past years) which seemed as much to be promoting Radio 3 as 'Radio Cool'.

I quite liked the Beach Boys when I was younger but all these Famous Faces (most unknown by both sight and name) were a bit gruesome to me - we are under no obligation to find it 'brilliant'

There are many other BBC Big Deals which don't say anything to me, but have their fans EVEN here on the forum: Top Gear, Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, the Great British Bake-Off & so on - so why not let the latest Big Deal pass by with the same indifference?

I made a donation to one of my preferred charities because (unheard of) they rang me up in desperation last night: I didn't need to be given a CD of God Only Knows as an incentive to donate.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            O, my little marrow, instead of being supercilious and sneering about R3 Forum and the many contributors to it who give their time and money to charitable causes, why not abstain from supporting the Beeb at every opportunity for three months and donate a fiver to C in N every time you feel the urge? Both you and the beneficiaries will feel better. And, sure as hell, we will.
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-10-14, 09:18. Reason: colonic irritation

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I made a donation to one of my preferred charities because (unheard of) they rang me up in desperation last night: I didn't need to be given a CD of God Only Knows as an incentive to donate.

Comment

Working...
                              X