X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Car insurance

Earlier this year I posted about rip off insurance companies trying to jack up the price of house insurance, particularly for (ha-ha) loyal customers who don't switch. I hope and think that some of you were able to make better decisions after that - though I don't take responsibility if things didn't work out for you.

Now I face a slightly different situation with car insurance. I have used a broker for years, and mostly his service has been good. Now I find that I can possibly undercut him significantly by using comparison web sites. I have so far given him the option of matching or getting close to the online price, but there's still a gap of perhaps £50. If this were merely £20 I'd probably not bother, but £50 --- it'll buy a few things, CDs, beer, other stuff ...!!!

On the other hand, he also tries to scare me with warning me of hidden costs in the small print, or lack of good service if anything goes wrong. For me this is marginal this year, but I'm wondering what others think. I can imagine that using the on-line services I would get the benefit of "introductory pricing", but that if I tried to change the policy or repatriate back to my broker in a year or two I might be at a disadvantage.

I'm sitting on the fence at the moment, with a few days to decide. I also have been told by my broker that "we have a better help service, if problems arise", but to be honest, we haven't had any really major problems in the last decade, and such problems that have arisen have been poorly dealt with by any of our insurers. The last that were really any good were Frizzells, before they got taken over by LV.

We did notice one other car insurer which seemed good some years ago, as our car was hit while stationary as someone drove into an adjacent parking space. It was inconvenient for us, but whichever insurer the other driver was with sorted it all out.

Comments?
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

My own instinct would be to stay with the broker. OK, £50 is not to be sneezed at, but I can see potential problems with the online version. For a start, if a problem does arise, do they have a physical presence anywhere? If I have to sort out a problem I prefer to do it with a real person, rather than an online presence who may be in south Asia and completely beyond my reach. Then there is the concern about how reputable they are: do they have an AA, BB or whatever rating (insurers with low ratings are cheaper, but I was recommended to avoid them because they are going to wriggle when you make a claim). Finally, I just have a great dislike of shopping online, I hate the idea of handing over credit card details, and much prefer to hand over a cheque, or cash. i spend a lot of time looking at ebay etc to see what sort of sums people are paying for things, but I never spend any money there.

This mostly isnt very rational, but I would feel it sufficiently strongly to keep me with the broker.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

I'm not in the habit of recommending companies , services etc, without being very sure of my feelings, but I have always found A Plan to offer great service, good prices and so on.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        I'm not in the habit of recommending companies , services etc, without being very sure of my feelings, but I have always found A Plan to offer great service, good prices and so on.
        Pack it in!

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          Pack it in!
          No.

( What?)
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Broker and price comparison sites aren't the only alternatives. At least one market leader who advertises on TV likes to remind us they aren't on price comparison sites.

Comment

• Zucchini
              • Nov 2010

We've used the AA & RAC for car, home and contents insurances for about 10 years, alternating every year to take the very substantial online introductory discounts and the discount for combining the three items. Immaculate service from both on the two occasions needed.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                We've used the AA & RAC for car, home and contents insurances for about 10 years, alternating every year to take the very substantial online introductory discounts and the discount for combining the three items. Immaculate service from both on the two occasions needed.
                AA are complete crooks in my experience
                I once bought European breakdown from them and they carried on taking the money out on an annual basis without telling me.
                Terrible service, rude and a huge hassle to get them to refund
                The breakdown mechanics were wonderful BUT as for the rest of the business ?
                SHARKS

Can insurance is one of those things that suffers from endless and meaningless competition
                having to waste my life working out which bunch of shysters to give my £ to on an annual basis plays havoc with my liver function !

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  ... Can insurance is one of those things that suffers from endless and meaningless competition
                  having to waste my life working out which bunch of shysters to give my £ to on an annual basis plays havoc with my liver function !
                  Blimey, you got a Warhol original?

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Blimey, you got a Warhol original?

Comment

• Zucchini
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      AA are complete crooks in my experience. I once bought European breakdown from them and they carried on taking the money out on an annual basis without telling me.
                      They would. You authorised a continuous direct debit. Nothing specisl about that. You just had to respond to the renewal 'invitation' they sent you, not ignored it or lost it.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                        They would. You authorised a continuous direct debit. Nothing specisl about that. You just had to respond to the renewal 'invitation' they sent you, not ignored it or lost it.
                        I did not
                        I never use direct debit at all
                        for anything

Crooks and shysters

(they also eventually apologised and said that it was an "administrative error" or something of the sort )

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

I insured a car with the Co-op - absolutley excellent service from people in the UK. They gave me a discount as a member of the Co-op, a discount because I'd looked at it online before phoning them, told me that comprehensive cost less than third party, & that if my parner was included as a named driver it would cost even less. It all worked out to be considerably cheaper than anybody else.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                            • Dec 2010

1. Ask the contenders how they will get your car recovered and repaired when you suffer a hit and run at night 100 kilometres from home. The company that can deal with the problem quickly and conveniently is the one that you should use. Cost is important, but when you desperately need them and they cannot help it becomes irrelevant.
                            2. Check that the staff in their call centre speaks and understands your language clearly - in the above mentioned scenario it will reduce your stress levels considerably.
                            3. Avoid any organisation whose staff ask to address you by your forename. You have not been introduced, and your relationship is professional.
                            Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 07-10-14, 22:34. Reason: second thoughts, also third.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

I switched six years ago to LV. In that time I've been shunted twice and collided once with a black cow in the dark in the New Forest: all three claims dealt with efficiently, courteously, immaculately. And yes, I have them on continuous DD.

[Alain, n14] Ask the contenders how they will get your car recovered and repaired when you suffer a hit and run at night 100 kilometres from home. The company that can deal with the problem quickly and conveniently is the one that you should use. Cost is important, but when you desperately need them and they cannot help it becomes irrelevant.
                              For breakdown service I pay separately to Guild of Experienced motorists: they've never let me down, promise they never will and give immaculate service.

Comment

Working...
                              X