X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Have you put your heating on yet?

It's rather cold today - actually now thinking of putting the heating on - but so far resisted.
    Warmer clothes are the first line of attack!

How about the rest of you?
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Mine went on for the first time yesterday afternoon when my resistance crumbled but was on for a short time only.

Bearing in mind, the horrendous fuel bills that every winter brings (I'd rather spend the money on CDs) I try to resist for as long as possible and in fact this year has been as late as I can remember for some time.

It's not on at the moment but I can feel it should be.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

I have it set for an hour very morning, and if the thermostat tells it to come on, it comes on.

Today I've put it on again, but am feeling a bit too warm now. My house is 90 years old and poorly insulated, tends to be very cold most of the time. Fuel bills are horrendous.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
        I have it set ... and if the thermostat tells it to come on, it comes on.
        So have I - and it was cold enough this morning for the thermostat to do its stuff for the first time since April.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Sweep came Friday and I lit the woodburner last night for the first time. Heating will go on when the clocks go back, for a paltry couple of hours. Might just as well not bother.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

I remember at school when the heating always came on on October 1 regular as clockwork, even if it was a cold September or a warm October!
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• umslopogaas
              • Nov 2010

My oil-fired boiler is on all year round, because it provides the hot water, but I have just turned on two downstairs radiators to warm the place up. Oil bills are ferocious. I also have a wood burning stove, but tend to save it for when I have visitors. The wood is free (I have some woodland behind the house) but I have to cut it ,which is quite hard work, and the stove really eats up the logs. It also makes a lot of dust.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Hot water all year, but no radiators here in Ultima Thule yet.

Comment

• gradus
                  • Nov 2010

No, I haven't even put on the fourth jumper yet.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Sweep came Friday and I lit the woodburner last night for the first time.
                    SNAP

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

test run yesterday just to check radiators/pipes/pumps &c but not left on .... fuel bills are menacing eh ...
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                        The wood is free (I have some woodland behind the house) but I have to cut it ,which is quite hard work, and the stove really eats up the logs. It also makes a lot of dust.
                        Cutting the logs warms you up twice, then!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Lovely and warm still here. We have a combi-boiler, only putting the heater timer on when absolutely necessary

Comment

• umslopogaas
                            • Nov 2010

#12, it does, although its the carting wood around which warms me up, during the cutting the chainsaw gets hotter than I do! Great investment, I wouldnt want to cut logs with a handsaw, that really is hard work.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

No need for heat here yet! House is well-insulated with new windows and doors, so should be able to manage for a while yet.

As someone has written, it reminds me of teaching days, when I would storm off to the Head to say that the instrumental staff could not be expected to teach in the cold. A couple of electric heaters were usually found to keep me quiet - but at all costs the rest of the school staff were not to be told about exceptions made for musicians. Even the 1st October switch-on date was being pushed back by a week or so in my last few years.

Comment

Working...
                              X