Care required in counting blessings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

These days whenever I hurl myself inadvertently earthwards I take comfort in the thought that we're standing on a sphere that is spinning very quickly ... so it's not surprising that a sensitive soul such as I should come a cropper every now & then
    Last edited by Guest; 04-10-14, 12:26. Reason: ti

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      These days whenever I hurl myself inadvertently earthwards I take comfort in the thought that we're standing on a sphere that is spinning very quickly ... so it's not surprising that a sensitive soul such as I should come a cropper every now & then
      1,000 mph at the equator, Ams. Maybe 600 mph where you are (900 mph where I am).

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        1,000 mph at the equator, Ams. Maybe 600 mph where you are (900 mph where I am).
        ... yes, for the spinning - but what about the speed of our circulation around our sun? - or of our solar system in its galaxy??

Of course, another way of looking at it - relatively - is that we are - or at least Willesden is - completely stationary - and everything else is whizzing away in madding and maddening fashion...

Comment

• amateur51

You can see why UKIP wants out of Europe Pabs. At 600 mph the EU must be thinking of compulsory seatbelts surely?!

I deliberately chose a curved cucumber the other day & jolly nice is too

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... yes, for the spinning - but what about the speed of our circulation around our sun? - or of our solar system in its galaxy??

Of course, another way of looking at it - relatively - is that we are - or at least Willesden is - completely stationary - and everything else is whizzing away in madding and maddening fashion...
            I'm pretty sure the Sun goes at 67,000 mph, but I really have no idea how fast the Milky Way goes round the Universe. My head aches!

[P.S: It all revolves round me. ]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

You can see why UKIP wants out of Europe Pabs. At 600 mph the EU must be thinking of compulsory seatbelts surely?!

I deliberately chose a curved cucumber the other day & jolly nice is too
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

I'm pretty sure the Sun goes at 67,000 mph, but I really have no idea how fast the Milky Way goes round the Universe. My head aches!

[P.S: It all revolves round me. ]
                worringly, we are heading towards impact with the next nearest galaxy at 70 miles per second, and are due to collide with them in around 4 billion years time.

We are living in a golden age of Milky Way research and exploration.

which doesn't tell us of course how fast the Milky way is actually travelling.

somewhere that would be completely stationary would be more likely to be Clapham rather than Willesden, I would think.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  somewhere that would be completely stationary would be more likely to be Clapham rather than Willesden, I would think.
                  You weren't driving up the Harrow Road yesterday morning then! Those roadworks near the junction with Acton Lane are shockers!

But I fear we digress.

How are you feeling today, gamba?
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

worringly, we are heading towards impact with the next nearest galaxy at 70 miles per second, and are due to collide with them in around 4 billion years time.
                    Blimey - and Celibidache still won't have reached the end of Bruckner #8!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Blimey - and Celibidache still won't have reached the end of Bruckner #8!
                      I think there is a decent thread in this, Ferney, yours to start should you care to.....!
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

I think there is a decent thread in this, Ferney, yours to start should you care to.....!
                        I wouldn't dare! (Quite "possessive" some of those Celi-likes.) Cheap shots from behind the barracades, that's all I'm up for!
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          I wouldn't dare! (Quite "possessive" some of those Celi-likes.) Cheap shots from behind the barracades, that's all I'm up for!
                          Sorry, I really meant general stuff that wont get finished in the next 4 billion years, rather than a thread dissing the great man !!!!!!

Perils of internet chat again.....!!

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

So Clapham really is the absolute centre of the universe?

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

The spinning should create a very small tendency to fly up into the air, but that would almost immediately be countered by gravitational attraction. Gravity wins again!

Comment

Working...
                              X