X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I feel like someone who really believed that television sets had little people inside, speaking and acting
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Yes, but ...

I think I have been under a total misapprehension as to what Playlister is

I don't think I can bring myself to explain what the misunderstanding was for fear of widespread ridicule

You don't mean... ...you thought it might...

...be...

...useful?

When it first appeared I hoped that by clicking something in the box I'd be able to hear the piece.

What a fool I was!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
        You don't mean... ...you thought it might...

...be...

...useful?

When it first appeared I hoped that by clicking something in the box I'd be able to hear the piece.

What a fool I was!
        I won't be too specific about what I Reckoned as I can see I was very foolish, knowing what I did, in fact, already know: but when I put the pieces from Robert Levin's Wigmore concert into My Playlister and tried to play them in Spotty Fie - I was linked to an Album called Love's Dream Romantic Piano Music.

I feel so foolish
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

well I've just put those same pieces through to youtube in the same way and it has found all the correct pieces (including the Bridge*) in four separate performances HOWEVER none performed on a fortepiano (and none by Robert Levin) - I'm not sure we can expect the system to be that sophisticated (perhaps there are no fortepiano performances on youtube of those works so it went for the next best thing)

one is obviously limited to what is available in the "partner" websites - one is more likely to get an exact 'match' when the original BBC broadcast is from a disc (self evidently). By exact match I mean the self same recording as was broadcast on the BBC.

I think I've come to the conclusion that the playlister system works better for pop music than classical

* I've just looked at what youtube found for the Bridge piece - its a home movie of a family performance in someone's living room - kid on violin, grandma & grandpa on cello & piano - cello fairly diabolical - in this instance it would have been better for the playlister to have said "no match found"
          Last edited by mercia; 02-10-14, 08:50.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Not as cracked up as I thought it would be. I certainly won't be using it.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              I think I've come to the conclusion that the playlister system works better for pop music than classical
              And of course, most of the 'songs' will be commercial CDs, so no problem accessing them somewhere. But does that save people buying them? That can't be right, surely?

* I've just looked at what youtube found for the Bridge piece - its a home movie of a family performance in someone's living room - kid on violin, grandma & grandpa on cello & piano - cello fairly diabolical - in this instance it would have been better for the playlister to have said "no match found"

I still feel there may be something I'm missing, but on the whole I shall probably disengage from Spotify.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

And of course, most of the 'songs' will be commercial CDs, so no problem accessing them somewhere. But does that save people buying them? That can't be right, surely?

I still feel there may be something I'm missing, but on the whole I shall probably disengage from Spotify.
                is it Spotty that you are interested in here, FF, or the playlister thing?

Playlister strikes me as a bit 1984 in any case, paranoid luddite that I am. (There just has to be a good portmanteau word there, just can't put it all together...)
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  is it Spotty that you are interested in here, FF, or the playlister thing?
                  It's just that I had to sign up to one of these partner things and I'd heard of Spotify. Now it's annoying me every morning by asking me to log in as soon as I switch my computer on. What's more, it has a green icon that reminds me of a silly frog.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

It's just that I had to sign up to one of these partner things and I'd heard of Spotify. Now it's annoying me every morning by asking me to log in as soon as I switch my computer on. What's more, it has a green icon that reminds me of a silly frog.
                    i tend to avoid spotty.

It can be useful for finding a specific performance of a classical piece, and of course there is a real wealth of pop/rock stuff.
                    I also find it annoying, I strongly suspect the startup slows my computer, and there are other irritations, such as sometimes ordering tracks in odd ways, EG, the first mvts of a particular symphony all together, followed by all the second mvts.

One of my kids used nothing else for music listening, on a spotty premium account, for a year at Uni, and found it great, but it really was a one stop shop, so she really bought into it.

Not my favourite thing, and the free version has annoying ads, (inevitably).
                    Useful under specific circumstances, I would say, at best.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

did people think that the BBC Playlister was a way of listening to parts of a BBC broadcast beyond the 7-day or 30-day limits ? I'm not sure I ever thought that.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

did people think that the BBC Playlister was a way of listening to parts of a BBC broadcast beyond the 7-day or 30-day limits ? I'm not sure I ever thought that.
                        I 'sort of of' thought that because I didn't know what else it could be that would be in any way interesting. Hence the exploration. Couldn't see the point of listening to 'a track'.

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

Couldn't see the point of listening to 'a track'.
                          indeed and as we've discovered (well I have anyway) when one eventually reaches spotify/youtube/itunes/deezer with one's playlist it's not just a track but the whole work one is presented with

I admit I have been using the word track loosely to mean that thing you can click next to in a BBC playlist to add to one's personal playlist, which is not always just a movement from a piece of music but sometimes a whole work
                          Last edited by mercia; 02-10-14, 14:05.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                            • Jul 2011

Last Friday (3rd Oct), Mahler's Totenfeier was broadcast on Afternoon on 3.

Radio Times billed this as being performed by the BBC PO cond John Storgards, with Hillevi Martinpelto, soprano.

This myth was perpetuated on iPlayer, both on the plain text listing and on Playlister.

Further, Katie Derham herself introduced the performance with reference to the soprano soloist.

So, it MUST be true.

Edit - KD must have been listening more closely than me, as in her 'outro' Ms Martinpelto was still credited with putting in an appearance.
                            Last edited by Roslynmuse; 05-10-14, 14:16.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Probably Anna Netrebko?

Comment

• David-G
                                • Mar 2012

indeed and as we've discovered (well I have anyway) when one eventually reaches spotify/youtube/itunes/deezer with one's playlist it's not just a track but the whole work one is presented with
                                Speaking as an innocent with this sort of thing, can I ask whether when one is presented with the whole work, is it by the same artists as the R3 broadcast?

Comment

Working...
                                X