• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Dear First Great Western ...

To FGW Customer Relations Adviser:

Thank you for the speed with which you responded to my claim for a refund after I was obliged to pay for the same journey twice when the Prepaid Fast Ticket Machine at Temple Meads failed to disgorge my travel ticket to Paddington recently (though it helpfully provided me with the ticket for the seat reservation). It was reassuring to know that your enquiry to the Station Manager did confirm that the new machine was not working efficiently that day.

However, there were one or two points to which I would like to draw your attention. Although I was obliged to pay, in cash, twice and subsequently produce travel details, both receipts and the new ticket which I had to buy and which I was advised to retain at the end of my journey, the refund consisted, not of cash, but travel vouchers to the amount of my second payment. These vouchers were:

Not exchangeable for cash
    Did not allow change to be given
    Were non-transferable
    Were not available for online purchases.

They therefore had to be used, by me and within 12 months, for a further train journey to the same or greater value; and in order to benefit from an Advance Booking reduction I would be obliged to make a special journey from my home to Temple Meads station to make the advance booking instead of completing the transaction from home, as I usually do, online.

Fortunately, the total sum involved was a mere £20.80. Had it been much more I should have greatly preferred a cash refund rather than more travel vouchers. As it is, I foresee that my vouchers will remain in the drawer until the expiration of their validity and will then be thrown away. Someone will in that case have been a small financial beneficiary and I will be a small cash loser who has been put to some inconvenience by the malfunctioning of the station equipment and the efforts necessary to pursue the claim.

Yrs

That's got it off my chest and I think I'll cut and paste this as a letter
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I'm afraid I would have taken it further, ff.

Don't Small Claims Courts deal with this sort of thing?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I'm afraid I would have taken it further, ff.

Don't Small Claims Courts deal with this sort of thing?
      I sort of felt 'life is getting a bit too short'. The accompanying letter from FGW did offer further help if needed, so p'raps they might rethink their general policy.

The odd thing is, I thought they were quite generous with their vouchers (loads of them) when my journey from Holyhead to Newport was so late I missed my late night connection (can't remember whether the connection was at or to Newport). And that was only compensation, not a refund. Can't remember which TOC it was either.

I have been through the Small Claims Court once, to get money back from a tradesman. In the end his marriage broke up and he had to sell his house (I don't think I was the only claimant!) but it took up so much time it wasn't worth it for about £140. Most of it went in charging up to Gloucester and back, but it was quite interesting. I don't think I have the energy for that now ...
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Zucchini
        • Nov 2010

I would send the letter, adding that you want a refund, not vouchers, plus a 'bunch of flowers' for your trouble and time, tell them that iif they will not comply, confirm this in writing so that you can draw this rather small matter to the attention of the financial agony aunts on the Times or Grauniad.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

I have many of these vouchers from East Coast
          Christmas present time for the teenage relations

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            I have many of these vouchers from East Coast
            Christmas present time for the teenage relations
            'Not transferable' though?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I think it was outrageous that they didn't refund you. It was their mistake - not yours.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                I'm sure i've just turned up and used them like cash before ?
                Will have a look to see if they have my name on them

I do find this annoying as I always buy train tickets online these days

If you need to keep tickets for claiming back expenses you need to be very wary of Paddington as the machines there "eat" the tickets, whereas at other stations they don't.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                  It says 'not transferable' but it has no name on it - just a bar code. As I have an account and my name is always printed on the tickets when they're bought online ... but I did wonder about that.

I'm sure i've just turned up and used them like cash before ?
                  Turn up where? You can use them as 'cash' at the ticket office, not at WH Smith.

Yes, I was warned not to put the ticket through the barrier at Paddington - I asked to be let out by the guard (or whatever they're called). I just waved the ticket at him and he didn't want to know why.

The Customer Service Adviser added that if there was anything further he could help me with, just to let him know. I think I shall say, no, not really, but perhaps I could help him with some useful customer feedback

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

IANAL, but is that legal? It smells of sharp practice to me. I would certainly pursue it. Nil illegitimi carborundum!

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I had £100 worth of vouchers when my train was delayed - I used them to buy several sets of two tickets for travel on the same train, so it was clear I wasn't using them all for myself and I thought this might have counted as transferring some of the value, but nobody questioned it.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

I recommend finding out the name of the company's managing director and sending him/her a copy of the letter by signed-for mail.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

The ones I get from East Coast are useable by anyone
                          even though they say "not transferable" there's nothing to say who they apply to

I recommend finding out the name of the company's managing director and sending him/her a copy of the letter by signed-for mail.
                          Why ?
                          They wont read it
                          It will go straight in the bin
                          and you will have wasted time and money

but if it makes you feel better then a good idea

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

I don't use trains. Can vouchers be used to book online ?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              I don't use trains. Can vouchers be used to book online ?
                              No

Comment

Working...
                              X