X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Farewell, Thylacine

78 years ago today, the last-known Thylacine died in Hobart zoo. They were known as the Tasmanian tiger, but they weren't cats. They looked like wolves, but they weren't any kind of dog. In fact they were as distant from dogs (or any other placental mammal) as kangaroos are, because they were marsupials. The kangaroo was quite a close cousin. It's a great, but sad, example of convergent evolution, where very different things evolve many similarities because they fill similar niches in their different environments.

Tasmania Tiger, Thylacine, this is the last one, died in 1936.El último ejemplar murió en 1936
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

And on the 1st September it was the centenary of the day that Martha, the world's last passenger pigeon (Ectopistes migratorius) died in Cincinnati zoo, aged 29. Here she is, now in a museum:

Just a century earlier, there are estimated to have been billions (yes!) in North America.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

I recently watched an excellent film, The Hunter, (dir Daniel Nettheim, 2011), which was ostensibly about a hunter being commissioned to seek out and shoot a Tasmanian Tiger, reputed still to exist in the hills. There's a plot line about some biotech multinational wanting to clone its DNA.... But it's chiefly good for the interactions of a stranger with the local Tasmanians, and terrifically atmospheric filming of a man alone in the wilderness. Worth a viewing, even if you might think the plot is hokum!

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        I recently watched an excellent film, The Hunter, (dir Daniel Nettheim, 2011), which was ostensibly about a hunter being commissioned to seek out and shoot a Tasmanian Tiger, reputed still to exist in the hills. There's a plot line about some biotech multinational wanting to clone its DNA.... But it's chiefly good for the interactions of a stranger with the local Tasmanians, and terrifically atmospheric filming of a man alone in the wilderness. Worth a viewing, even if you might think the plot is hokum!
        Thanks. It's just about possible a small colony of thylacines exist (they're shy and nocturnal) - though it's unlikely after this time - but I can see it would make an interesting plot-line.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
          Thanks. It's just about possible a small colony of thylacines exist (they're shy and nocturnal) - though it's unlikely after this time - but I can see it would make an interesting plot-line.
          Doug Richardson, who was a mammal expert from ZSL London Zoo, once told me that there had been sightings of an animal resembling a thylacine, not in Tasmania, but in Australia itself. That's a slight possibility, since there is so much remote country on that huge continent. It would be nice to believe it.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
            Doug Richardson, who was a mammal expert from ZSL London Zoo, once told me that there had been sightings of an animal resembling a thylacine, not in Tasmania, but in Australia itself. That's a slight possibility, since there is so much remote country on that huge continent. It would be nice to believe it.
            Wouldn't it? It's certainly more plausible that Yetis, Bigfoots (-feet?) or Loch Ness Monsters.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              And on the 1st September it was the centenary of the day that Martha, the world's last passenger pigeon (Ectopistes migratorius) died in Cincinnati zoo, aged 29.
              That's interesting. I'd heard of pigeons carrying post, but not passengers.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                That's interesting. I'd heard of pigeons carrying post, but not passengers.

Probably British tourists, with whom they conversed in Pigeon English!

Comment

Working...
                X