• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

No, it's me as well!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
      A typically earnest and thought-provoking plea from Mr Grew!...
      Did the earnest and thought-provoking Mr Grew go AWOL when I wasn't paying attention?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        No, it's me as well!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          - you'd've thought he (of all people) would've known!

... or perhaps it's a secret code - "this is where I tread on Maria Barbara's toe"?
          Well Bach did write some of the Brandenburg Concerti for an orchestra containing instruments of uncertain existence.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            its revolutionary politics.
            I can never understand why Fidelio has this reputation. The prisoners are released by an autocratic ruler & emerge praising God for his (the autocrat's) benevolence & their release. If it was truly revolutionary they would have broken out of prison & strung him up, as he was ultimately responsible for their imprisonment.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Well Bach did write some of the Brandenburg Concerti for an orchestra containing instruments of uncertain existence.
              Well, the poor chap didn't have the advantage of the modern symphony orchestra. Still, people have made up for that sad lack & have re-written his music to suit it.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

For me, and I think for some other forumites, his worst mistake was to write a choral last movement to his ninth symphony!

I do wonder, had he not gone deaf, would he have heard with his ears rather than in his head, what this really sounded like!!

(Runs for cover.....)

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                  A typically earnest and thought-provoking plea from Mr Grew!

Though I was not around to read the Spectator in 1902, I remember discussing the issue of sex and marriage with some equally-idle colleagues in the late Sixties and I commented that the reason that people have sex and marry is due to lust, and the purpose of sex and marriage is the production and upbringing of children. I naively assumed that might be a view shared by most.

On the contrary, I was roundly turned on by the other members of the group and told that the purpose of sex and marriage had absolutely nothing to do with having children. It was all about 'love' (a much nicer-sounding word than lust) which, of course, at the time the great Beatles themselves claimed it was all we really needed, so who was I to argue?

As for Germanic opera, I've never been a huge fan, though, unlike Mr Grew, I can't see much wrong with the ancient institution of marriage ... at least a happy one!
                  Far too clinically analytical; people have sex because that's what they want to do; people get married because that's what they want to do; some people who are unmarried have children and some do not; some people who are married have children and some do not. There is no philosophical argument to this - people are people just doing what they desire at a given point in time.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    Well Beethoven didn't make too many mistakes in my view. However the only work of the great master that I cannot tolerate is Wellington's Victory ('Battle Symphony') a work that leaves me cold.
                    It has perhaps a certain value as an oddity - I even have it as a 'filler' to de Burgos's LvB 5th....

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      I've never been terribly keen on the two violin 'Romances' which I find a bit pallid.
                      Yes, Beethoven was never really at home in 'genteel' mode, was he!

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        It has perhaps a certain value as an oddity - I even have it as a 'filler' to de Burgos's LvB 5th....
                        The oft repeated (on TtN) Octophorus performance is great fun.

Comment

• David-G
                          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          For me, and I think for some other forumites, his worst mistake was to write a choral last movement to his ninth symphony!
                          Most definitely not for this forumite.

Comment

• David-G
                            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            I can never understand why Fidelio has this reputation. The prisoners are released by an autocratic ruler & emerge praising God for his (the autocrat's) benevolence & their release. If it was truly revolutionary they would have broken out of prison & strung him up, as he was ultimately responsible for their imprisonment.
                            Why so? Florestan was a "personal" prisoner of Pizarro. The minister (presumably who you mean by the "autocrat") was a friend of Florestan and had thought him dead.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                              Most definitely not for this forumite.
                              Nor this one. I go along with Vaughan Williams and consider it to be the best movement of the four.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I do wonder, had he not gone deaf, would he have heard with his ears rather than in his head, what this really sounded like!!

(Runs for cover.....)
                                though I am of the opinion that the Finale of the 9th is not a finale to conclude the first three mvts (I recall a very nice and lively discussion on these boards between JLW and myself), in itself it's far from bad music. Strip the orchestral disguise and the vocal parts, and you'll dicover a world very similar to the Diabellis. One has only to listen to Liszt's one-piano-without-vocals-arrangement to experience this.

More importantly: his deafness has obviously influenced his composing as he was hardly able to listen to contemporary developments (like the Weber operas). But had he not gone deaf, would he have heard with his ears rather than in his head, what this really sounded like is IMVHO straightforward nonsense, as that would mean dismissing the Missa solemnis for exactly the same reason, that work being conceived for near-identical forces, at nearly the same time and under similar conditions.
                                Even the hardest Finale-9-haters will be unable to dismiss the Missa.
                                Last edited by Guest; 03-09-14, 23:04.

Comment

Working...
                                X