• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

Can I have some of whatever it is you're using?

Please take it all. I certainly don't want any.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I have the Brilliant Classics set of the complete Beethoven. I found it far more satisfying than the complete works of any other composer.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        I have the Brilliant Classics set of the complete Beethoven. I found it far more satisfying than the complete works of any other composer.
        Agreed ... Brahms? Not too much of his I would throw out except Haydn Variations and Academic Festival Overture.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          ... interesting. There is some Beethoven which for me towers over almost everything - and there's a lot which is far from "satisfying", to use Alpie's curious choice of word. Beethoven is to me like Wordsworth (same birth year, after all. But then Napoleon almost in the same cohort - discuss... ) - viz, great stuff along inexplicably dire productions...

For all round "satisfying" ( "satisfying"? - no, still don't get it ... ) Complete Works - I would have thought Bach, Mozart, Haydn wd be the places to go...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil
            Complete Works - I would have thought Bach, Mozart, Haydn wd be the places to go...
            I have those too, but despite the string of Irish and Scottish songs, I found LvB a better overall listen than either Mozart of Haydn. But Bach wasn't far behind.

(PS, don't get too hung up on my choice of a particular word.)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

I don't find any Beethoven "dire" (at least not after he'd left Bonn), but there is some that doesn't show him on top form. (But I love even these works - even the good old "Battle" Symphony.) There's stuff from Mozart's teenage years that I wouldn't greatly object if I never had to hear again, and the Haydn Bariton Trios (and the Operas) don't always appeal. The only composer who didn't (as far as I'm aware) didn't put a foot wrong ever is Bach.

Other contemporaries of Beethoven include Turner and Constable - something to bear in mind when thinking about the Pastoral Symphony. Walter = Constable; Furtwangler = Turner? Discuss. Or not.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I think that's the kindest thing to do with this Topic.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Sorry for going off-topic, but I think that's the kindest thing to do with this Topic.
                Don't apologise for steering the thread in a positive direction.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Other contemporaries of Beethoven include Turner and Constable - something to bear in mind when thinking about the Pastoral Symphony. Walter = Constable; Furtwangler = Turner? Discuss. Or not.

... I was going to include Constable and Turner in my 'cohort' ( and I am not forgetting Hogg and Senancour... ) - and yes, very much to be borne in mind when thinking of the cultural world all this lot grew up in. Whether we see resemblances with Bruno Walter's and Furtwangler's take on romantic works - well, I'll retire to my comfy pre-romantic arbour...

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

I've never been terribly keen on the two violin 'Romances' which I find a bit pallid.

I've still got the mini-discs of the 'Beethoven Immersion' week from all those years ago and have endeavoured to listen to the whole caboodle! My goodness, these songs are heavy going...!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
                      As the editor of the Spectator reminded us in 1902, the only appropriate and valid kind of "marriage" must be a cohabitational arrangement made by the respective parents of a couple, and its only proper purpose the generation of offspring. "Love" has nothing whatever to do with the matter.
                      Before we get too embroiled in discussion, I do think we should check whether he's changed his views at all
                      Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 03-09-14, 23:15. Reason: o-mission
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Hornspieler
                        Late Member
                        • Sep 2012

I don't find any Beethoven "dire" (at least not after he'd left Bonn), but there is some that doesn't show him on top form. (But I love even these works - even the good old "Battle" Symphony.) There's stuff from Mozart's teenage years that I wouldn't greatly object if I never had to hear again, and the Haydn Bariton Trios (and the Operas) don't always appeal. The only composer who didn't (as far as I'm aware) didn't put a foot wrong ever is Bach. ........

The Art of Fugue? Sorry, FHG but for me, boredom sets in there

HS

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

The only composer who didn't (as far as I'm aware) didn't put a foot wrong ever is Bach.
                          ...except he did once write (BWV572) a bottom B for the organ pedal board...a note which doesn't exist, so rather literally 'a foot wrong'.

I'm sure someone will post that there was a Gottdamn Silbersplatt somewhere with an extra note down there

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            Before we get to embroiled in discussion, I do think we should check whether he's changed his views at all

Is Editor of the Spectator an hereditary title?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                              ...except he did once write (BWV572) a bottom B for the organ pedal board...a note which doesn't exist, so rather literally 'a foot wrong'.
                              - you'd've thought he (of all people) would've known!

I'm sure someone will post that there was a Gottdamn Silbersplatt somewhere with an extra note down there
                              ... or perhaps it's a secret code - "this is where I tread on Maria Barbara's toe"?

(No relation to Harriet Beecher's Toe.)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                                The Art of Fugue? Sorry, FHG but for me, boredom sets in there

HS
                                One of my favourites, HS - I can lose myself (and find myself) for hours in those sounds. I expect it's just me

Comment

Working...
                                X