Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

New Head of BBC Trust

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29001401
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Interesting.

Being in charge of the BBC Trust is a "big job", said BBC media and arts correspondent David Sillito.
    Er, you don't say!!

OG

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

there is no limit to the reach and grasp of the pepsimindwarp except the great vampire squid to which all bow

Mrs Fairhead - a non-executive director at HSBC and PepsiCo
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
        • Nov 2010

I'll be the first to say it but clearly this is the putting in place of the foundation stone of the privatisation or disbandment of the BBC as we know it.

She was a student of law followed by a masters in business studies since when she has occupied a host of commercial, corporate positions and certainly has no experience of broadcasting. That she has headed the multi-media arm of Pearson PLC does not equate to holding governance of the nation's principal broadcaster.

I don't doubt that she has exceptional abilities but she is without a public profile and that to me suggests it is an appointment that has been made as much out of desperation as any politiking. Basically, no sane bugger wants the job.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

"The appointment was ultimately decided by The Queen on a recommendation from Culture Secretary Sajid Javid."

I must refer to my OED to discover the many meanings of the verb 'to decide' ....

As for having no pubic profile, Patten had as high a public profile as any - but Gavyn (Goldman Sachs) Davies and Christopher Bland weren't public figures (Davies as an economics commentator for the BBC, perhaps). Even Michael Lyons wasn't known much outside Birmingham.

Her background - not unusual - is business rather than media. Outgoing Acting Chair is Diane Coyle (economist). Unlike Lyons and Patten, no active political connection, unless I've missed something.
          Last edited by french frank; 31-08-14, 09:32.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

Hmm. "under no illusions about the enormity of the job".

Wonder in which sense she is using 'enormity'?

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
              I'll be the first to say it but clearly this is the putting in place of the foundation stone of the privatisation or disbandment of the BBC as we know it.

She was a student of law followed by a masters in business studies since when she has occupied a host of commercial, corporate positions and certainly has no experience of broadcasting. That she has headed the multi-media arm of Pearson PLC does not equate to holding governance of the nation's principal broadcaster.

I don't doubt that she has exceptional abilities but she is without a public profile and that to me suggests it is an appointment that has been made as much out of desperation as any politiking. Basically, no sane bugger wants the job.
              People in such positions do have a tendency to like to keep their online profile nice and clean , or better still non existent.
              See what you can find out about Lucy Worsley online for instance.

anyhow, the lunatics long since took over the asylum, and now they have arranged a private finance and leaseback deal with their hedgefund mates in the city, aided by the lawmakers who are snuggled into their back pockets.

If I was in really machiavellian mood, I would ask if commercial broadcasters have one eye, at least, on the rather secretive TTIP negotiations. Its not by any means impossible that commercial broadcasters might be able to use the courts to sue governments for damage to their profits , because of the subsidies enjoyed by state broadcasters. if not at this stage at some later stage. The BBC would clearly have to deal with this in some way.

Quite why all people in high office ( and labour party front benches this includes YOU)seem to need to be ex bankers , or have heavy duty banking contacts )ought to be a mystery, but it tells its own story.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Quite why all people in high office ( and labour party front benches this includes YOU)seem to need to be ex bankers , or have heavy duty banking contacts )ought to be a mystery, but it tells its own story.
                Since she is an ex director at HSBC at least the laundry should be clean.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

A couple of quotes from The Observer:

"It may turn out to be a good appointment. Fairhead is a very clever, very polished – and, at 52, comparatively young – businesswoman, currently serving on the PepsiCo and HSBC boards. She knows about the media world from her FT days. She also knows all about helping to run a successful company."
                  [ ... ]
                  "She wasn't the first candidate into the ring. She may even have been steered into contention once Lord Coe pulled out. But she will bring drive, charm and a good deal of high level business experience to the Trust. The question is, though, whether that will be enough."

The downside, such as it it, here: http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...of-corporation

So, that's that settled. Now for Radio 3
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                    • Jun 2014

It is a strange appointment indeed and, in the true tradition of modern management culture, it is not entirely clear to the outsider as to what particularly relevant qualifications she has for the job to which she has now been appointed?

Two government ministers' comments may provide some clues as to the real reasons for her appointment:

Culture Secretary Mr Javid described Mrs Fairhead as an "exceptional" individual with a "highly impressive career".

"Her experience of working with huge multinational corporations will undoubtedly be a real asset at the BBC Trust," he said.

Women and Equalities Minister Nicky Morgan posted her best wishes to Mrs Fairhead on Twitter.

"Many congratulations to Rona Fairhead who has been appointed as the new BBC Chairman. I know she will be excellent," she said.

That's just fine 'n' dandy, then ...

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                      It is a strange appointment indeed and, in the true tradition of modern management culture, it is not entirely clear to the outsider as to what particularly relevant qualifications she has for the job to which she has now been appointed?
                      What relevant qualifications would you like to see?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        At least she's not Dame Phyllis

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Well, I readily admit to finding it difficult to understand how relevant qualifications for being head of the BBC Trust are having a successful, high-flying career in multinational business and the "accident" of being of a particular gender.

I'm simply stating what has been said to explain the lady's appointment.

Maybe the even more successful Sir Alec Ferguson might have been offered the job if he hadn't been of the unqualified gender ... ?

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

FF
                            I merely recall that in earlier days, did not Patten claim to be a regular listener to R3.
                            And much good it did us all, to be honest.

Comment

• aeolium
                              • Nov 2010

I can't see how it matters who is in the job. It is the organisation that is the problem - the BBC Trust simply is not properly independent of the BBC and therefore cannot carry out the functions it claims to do. It claims to monitor editorial standards yet permitted the shambles over Jimmy Savile and the quasi-tabloid reporting on investigations into Cliff Richard. It claims to ensure value for money for license fee payers yet permitted the enormous inflation in executive salaries and bureaucracy under Thompson, as well as the ill-starred Digital Media initiative. It claims to ensure the greatest degree of transparency in the BBC yet requests for information under the FOI Act are routinely batted away. It claims to be the final arbiter of complaints against the BBC yet almost invariably endorses the position of BBC management, as indeed it does over the periodic strategy reviews.

Imv it is a complete waste of time and needs fundamental reform or abolition.

Comment

Working...
                              X