Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

My advice? Don't over-qualify for the low-paying job you'll be regarded as overqualified to be applying for and which in any case will not pay off your student debts.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      No. 4 - thumbs-up for that one though, eh ams?
      I go with that one. Odd that there's nothing about drinking or other recreational activity. Either Americans don't do those things, or they just don't want to talk about them.

For some (many) of us life is a random walk. Not sure that advice is ever really that much use. The person receiving it usually ignores it anyway, even if it is sound.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

For some (many) of us life is a random walk.
        "Random"? - as in "Random"???

The most annoying word ever. You'll say something that relates to your previous topic, yet they say it's random because they can't comprehen it.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Only got as far as No 2: "Call someone you love back home a few times a week, even if just for a few minutes." I think it only occurred to me to call home a few times over three years as an undergraduate. Trunk calls were expensive and beer money was short.
          I gather that in these days of mobile phones, daily or even hourly parental contact is the norm. I even believe that some parents phone lecturers to berate them for giving their budding genius low marks for an essay. At that point, I really would have curled into a ball and disappeared; like gurnemanz, my phone calls were limited. Has anything been gained through the invention of the mobile phone?
          Last edited by Guest; 26-08-14, 16:24.

Comment

• Ockeghem's Razor

When I was a bejant (1967) the one piece of advice I was given by my senior man was, 'Always drink lots of water before you go to bed.' Very helpful.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              Thanks for educating me!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                But this was a college where, when it was proposed to install the occasional bathroom on some of the staircases, an elderly don said "But why? The young gentlemen are only with us for eight weeks... ".
                This reminds me of a JCR meeting in my college in the same town (late 60s) where someone complained about the distance to the nearest loo on cold nights. An old hand replied "What's the problem? There's a wash basin in your room isn't there?"

Comment

• Belgrove
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  ... Odd that there's nothing about drinking or other recreational activity. Either Americans don't do those things, or they just don't want to talk about them.
                  Indeed binge drinking was a major problem in MIT frat houses a few years ago, resulting in a couple of deaths due to alcohol poisoning. The legal age to drink alcohol in Massachusetts is 21, with result that much drinking by students in Boston and Cambridge is forced 'underground'.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    This reminds me of a JCR meeting in my college in the same town (late 60s) where someone complained about the distance to the nearest loo on cold nights. An old hand replied "What's the problem? There's a wash basin in your room isn't there?"
                    But what about the paper?
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      But what about the paper?
                      This was meant purely for, erm, liquid offerings.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

A lot of the advice seems to me to be quite sound & sensible. Pointless, though, as students know everything & don't feel the need to take advice from their elders & betters . Doesn't he say at some point 'make mistakes'? Which would rather contradict the idea of giving, & taking, advice

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          This was meant purely for, erm, liquid offerings.
                          Reminds me of this film - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066494/
                          Yuk!

Comment

Working...
                          X