X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I understand it was hereditary I'm ashamed to say I'd quite forgotten that the Mary Rose museum was in also Portsmouth, even though I've passed through the town several times. I well remember being riveted to - was it the television? when the ship was salvaged.
    Portsmouth a mere town?? ff, you must be a Saints supporter!
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
      Quite some pedigree there. Well you all know about my ancestors. Quite a blood thirsty lot!
      Yes, I know about your forebears, BBM. There is a slight problem, though, because the Battle of Bosworth is perilously close to the point (say 1430-ish) at which everyone of 'long-standing-British descent' (no known recent influx of outsiders) is equally a descendant of everyone in those times who actually has descendants, (In other words, anyone whose 'line' hasn't died out.) Therefore, it's very likely that I am also descended from the Plantagenets - though I'll willingly concede that you may have more lines of descent than me!

This is all mathematical, not genetic. It's the same calculation that has all Western Europeans descended from Charlemagne.

Glad to see that you're OK.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        You could always start such a thread ....
        Good idea

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Duly bumped. I knew it was there somewhere. I see Pabs actually started it, way back.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            Duly bumped. I knew it was there somewhere. I see Pabs actually started it, way back.
            Did I?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              Did I?
              Guilty as charged

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                Clearly a prescient move.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Looking at the OP, it seems (from the quotation from an "earlier" Post) that this Thread "grew" out of a previous discussion, which may have been deemed Off Topic on the "parent" Thread, so a Host (not me - I wasn't one in 2014) has diverted relevant comments here. Pabs' OP looks like it was chosen as the most suitable for this new Thread to begin; so, he is credited as the Thread starter, even though he might not have started it.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    ....Pabs' OP looks like it was chosen as the most suitable for this new Thread to begin; so, he is credited as the Thread starter, even though he might not have started it.
                    Story of my life - I don't look back, oblivious of the havoc in my wake...

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... a sub-thread in the same area - I don't know whether a Host could amalgamate -

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... brassbandmaestro - you are special because you are you. You are not special because you have royal ancestors. We all have royal ancestors -

We are all special, which also means that none of us is. This is merely a numbers game.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

... a sub-thread in the same area - I don't know whether a Host could amalgamate -
                        Obliged!

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Nope - it takes me to a site called "Popular Science", not the Thread containing the similar sub-Thread about Bbm's ancestry.
                          ... sorry, I'm being too stupid (or you're being too clever). Not the thread within the thread, but just this - shd lead you to Who Lived in a Castle -

... brassbandmaestro - you are special because you are you. You are not special because you have royal ancestors. We all have royal ancestors -

We are all special, which also means that none of us is. This is merely a numbers game.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Yes - apologies, I assumed the link to the Science site in the post you quoted, rather than the "View Post" >> symbol.

All sorted now.

Comment

Working...
                            X