X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Anthony Gilbert - born 26 July 1934

Just now, looking through my index cards of modern composers in search of those whose 80th birthdays fall in this year, I came across Anthony Gilbert.

Gilbert is unquestionably, I think, an important voice in post-1950s British modern music, yet I don't recollect any birthday celebrations on his behalf by Radio 3.

Other composers who hit 80 this year include the trombone-playing innovator Vinko Globokar, the American James Tenney, and the late Russian Alfred Schnittke. I'm sure that the non-comprehensive nature of my collection means I must have missed out a good number more. Last year's octogenarian-reachers included our own David Ellis and Justyn Connolly, Toshi Ichiyanagi, Krzysztof Penderecki and the Dutch electronics composer Fritz Weiland - none of whom was commemorated by the BBC, unless I'm seriously mistaken, in which case, sorry!

Luigi Nono would have been 90 this year, and the Catalan composer Maurice Ohana 100, by the way.

Here is Anthony Gilbert's website - well worth taking time to go through his biography:

Reseller Hosting, Web Hosting, Dedicated Servers & Domain Names | Heart Internet
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Other composers who hit 80 this year include ... the American James Tenney
    I wish ... sadly also "late", having died in 2006. (The first year that Graham MacKenzie took chrge of the Huddersfield Festival - he'd made it his aim to make Tenney a featured composer at his first Festival. Sadly, he had to make do with what became a memorial celebration.)

Gilbert is a very good composer - ten years ago, there was a Hear & Now special. Maybe later in the year? And, PLEASE - something for Nono.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

Many thanks for reminding us of this fine composer, SA, I know too little of his music, tough but rewarding, and sometimes unexpectedly humorous - as a student I took part in a performance of his A Quartet of Beasts, and was amused to find the cadenzas in the penultimate movement (I think) seen from a distance resembled dinosaurs! Dream Carousels is a fine piece and available on CD.

Nice to see mention of another composer, David Ellis, with strong North West connections; unfailingly polished and memorable music whether orchestral, choral or instrumental. Too few commercial CDs of his music available, although there used to be an attractive collection available on ASC.

Comment

Working...
      X