Abandoned consignment box maybe containing two million dollars, Oh yeh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Abandoned consignment box maybe containing two million dollars, Oh yeh!

I am getting really tired of this type of recent dodgy emails:

Hi,

I am contacting you regarding an abandoned consignment box which I found at our storage house and when scanned it revealed undisclosed sum of dollar bills in it which could be about two million dollars. To confirm you as the recipient, send me your full name, contact address, mobile number to my private email ( ogedwards713@aol.com ) and if it does correspond, I will pay the alt-clearance fee of 1,800usd and conclude arrangement to deliver the box to you in person but you have to assure me of 20% of the total money in the box and please it is a confidential transaction which I shall be using my official position to achieve success.

The Cyber Crime Division of the FBI gathered information from the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) on how some people have lost outrageous sums of money to these impostors. As a result of this, we hereby advise you to stop communication with any one not referred to you by us. We have negotiated with the Federal Ministry of Finance that your payment totaling $10.5 Million(Ten Million five Hundred Thousand Dollars). will be released to you via a custom pin based ATM card with a maximum withdrawal limit of $15,000 a day which is powered by Visa Card and can be used anywhere in the world where you see a Visa Card Logo on the Automatic Teller Machine (ATM).

We guarantee receipt of your payment. This is as a result of the mandate from US Government to make sure all debts owed to citizens of American and also Asia and Europe which includes Inheritance, Contract, Gambling/Lottery etc are been cleared.

To redeem your funds, you are hereby advised to contact the FBI Agent via email for her requirement to proceed and procure your Approval of Payment Warrant and Endorsement of your ATM Release Order on your behalf which will cost you $250 Usd only and nothing more as everything else has been taken care of by the Federal Government including taxes, custom paper and clearance duty so all you will ever need to pay is $250.00 only.

Edward Oliver
    Chief supervisor
    South Air-cargo Complex
    Hartsfield-Jackson Intn'l Airport
    6000 N Terminal Pkwy, Atlanta, GA 30320

Here's another similar one:

Attention Beneficiary,

Records show that you are among one of the individuals and organizations who are yet to receive their overdue payment from overseas which includes those of Lottery/Gambling,Contract and Inheritance. Through our Fraud Monitory Unit we have noticed that you have been transacting with some impostors and fraudsters who have been impersonating the likes of Prof. Soludo/Mr.Lamido Sanusi of the Central Bank Of Nigeria, Mr. Patrick Aziza, Bode Williams, Frank, Anderson, none officials of Oceanic Bank, Zenith Banks, Kelvin Young of HSBC, Ben of FedEx, Ibrahim Sule, Dr. Usman Shamsuddeen and some impostors claiming to be The Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Federal Bureau of Investigation
    Counter-terrorism Division and Cyber Crime Division
    J. Edgar. Hoover Building Washington DC
    JAMES B. COMEY
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Ooh! Lucky you! I've never had one like that. Mine are always friends stranded in war-torn Syria having had their bank cards taken away by force and needing a large sum to get them out.

For me, the obvious spoofs provide a slight smirk at the naivety of the hopeful criminals. A bit like a newspaper cartoon.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

So that's where I left it.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I've never had any like that either but do I get plenty of spoof e-mails allegedly from Lloyds/Nat West/Barclays/Santander and, believe it or not, Abbey National. As I will not touch online banking with a disinfected bargepole they can all be safely deleted. One or two allegedly from Amazon have been very clever and could trip up the unwary. Also lots from 'HM Inland Revenue'.

The annoying issue at present is what appears to be a recent sudden upsurge in unsolicited telephone calls. Despite being registered with the TPS (a toothless tiger if ever there was one) they mostly come in the daytime when I'm at work but the odd few come in the evening too. They are all UK numbers (usually Liverpool or Manchester) but probably originate from abroad.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          I've never had any like that either but do I get plenty of spoof e-mails allegedly from Lloyds/Nat West/Barclays/Santander and, believe it or not, Abbey National. As I will not touch online banking with a disinfected bargepole they can all be safely deleted. One or two allegedly from Amazon have been very clever and could trip up the unwary. Also lots from 'HM Inland Revenue'.

The annoying issue at present is what appears to be a recent sudden upsurge in unsolicited telephone calls. Despite being registered with the TPS (a toothless tiger if ever there was one) they mostly come in the daytime when I'm at work but the odd few come in the evening too. They are all UK numbers (usually Liverpool or Manchester) but probably originate from abroad.
          Hiya Petrushka,

Yes I also get from spoof emails from banks even from paypal too. Yes, the same too with the TPS, although, I think has helped reduce the amount.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

The ones quoted so far are a distinct improvement where spelling and grammar are concerned! The ones from Nigeria usually make more entertaining reading !
            Since the cost of sending millions of these emails is so low, it pays the scammers, since if only a very few respond they are enough.

How many times have we had phone calls from India offering to fix non existent computer faults? interestingly they immediately hang up if you tell them you use a Mac.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              I am getting really tired of this type of recent dodgy emails....
              You might wish to take a lead from this 'scam baiting' site

whose members use the ease with which new hotmail etc email addresses can be created to respond by engaging in apparently promising email exchanges with a view to putting the scammers to inconvenience, expense, or just the odd embarrassing photo. The one of a scammer evidencing his 'self baptism' into the "Church of Bread and Fish" in the hope of financial support is one such... http://www.419eater.com/html/tope.htm

Others on the "letters archive" page...

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                ... interestingly they immediately hang up if you tell them you use a Mac.

Incidentally, I seem to have lost $2 million in transit, can you keep your eyes (ears, brain?) open, please.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

Incidentally, I seem to have lost $2 million in transit, can you keep your eyes (ears, brain?) open, please.
                  I have asked Father Haddock-Bloomer to be in touch...
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    You might wish to take a lead from this 'scam baiting' site

http://www.419eater.com...
                    You mean it's not true!

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      I have asked Father Haddock-Bloomer to be in touch...
                      Very grateful. Thanks, Cali...

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                        You mean it's not true!
                        I know! I'm most disappointed.

Brilliant site, Caliban. Most amusing.

Here is a link to a genuine site warning of some dangers. I saw that Petrushka had been bothered.

Comment

Working...
                        X