Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

Yes, Flos, I know. At best, your pseudonym is borne of one barbarism (Wagner's world) and mine is borne of another (Rider Haggard's). That would be a fine meeting, would it not: a Valkyrie and a fearless Zulu warrior?

i'm not sure what this conversation will lead to, but I'm now off to sleep. More tomorrow, if you are in the mood.

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

As of the second .....

1) Whitsun Weddings
      2) Bruckner 9 the full 4 Sir Simon and the Berliners
      3) Bobby Moore
      4) Bleak House
      5) The Boxer - S&G

....3 seconds later........

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        As of the second .....

1) Whitsun Weddings
        2) Bruckner 9 the full 4 Sir Simon and the Berliners
        3) Bobby Moore
        4) Bleak House
        5) The Boxer - S&G

....3 seconds later........
        Great shout on #3

Perhaps a DVD of England Brazil 1970? They'd get to see Banksy's incredible saves, too.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          Once they see the rules of association football, they'd be so amazed, setting up their own inter-galactic leagues, practicing penalties etc, that nothing else would matter.

But since you ask, Bach is JS, all the rest have initials.
          When David Beckham visited the Amazon in a recent documentary, and found himself trying through an interpreter to explain football to the Chief of the Yanomami tribe, this was probably as near to an alien encounter that we might envisage. He tried to explain the ball and the teams, the goal etc. without success.

Afterwards he said " That was really difficult, I've never tried to explain football before, except to Victoria ! "

It was an enjoyable film, and showed him and his mates in a very kindly light, even allowing for the fact that their adventure had a large film crew in the background.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

1) The score of the Shakuhachi piece Tamuke
            2) A Gaperon cheese
            3) A copy of On Sonic Art
            4) A VCS3
            5) A pair of Arbroath Smokies

Comment

• Tevot
              • Nov 2010

I reckon the time capsule should include

1) A message from President Carter telling ET how wonderful life is in Plains Georgia.
              2) A message from Kurt Waldheim about selective memory..
              3) A choir of Georgians singing in Georgian - just to confuse ET (see 1 above)
              4) Donna Summer feeling love...
              5) and former Welsh Secretary Ron Davies in full Druid regalia wishing all and sundry :- " Iechyd da i chwi yn awr, ac yn oesoedd"

Oh hang on - I think Carl Sagan and NASA beat me to most of that

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                When David Beckham visited the Amazon in a recent documentary, and found himself trying through an interpreter to explain football to the Chief of the Yanomami tribe, this was probably as near to an alien encounter that we might envisage. He tried to explain the ball and the teams, the goal etc. without success.

Afterwards he said " That was really difficult, I've never tried to explain football before, except to Victoria ! "

It was an enjoyable film, and showed him and his mates in a very kindly light, even allowing for the fact that their adventure had a large film crew in the background.
                When I was about 21 an older friend asked me to stand in for him on a football coaching session of an U17 team that he couldn't make. During the afternoon, another coach (who used to be my coach) came over to me and said 'you must come and have a look at this little kid'. I wouldn't at first because I couldn't see the point of watching a 6 year old play football. Anyway, I couldn't believe my eyes - in central midfield, receiving the ball from the left flank, controlling it with his right lot and switching it to the right flank with his left, he was playing like a 14/15 year old when he was six!

Later that day, as he was leaving the facility with his even smaller sister and a ball under his arm. I was walking back in and I stopped him and said "I saw you out there, and I thought you were fantastic, keep it up". He gave a smile, and shyly said, "thanks mister". I thought what a modest, shy likeable kid.

In adult life, I think he remained the same character.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  1) The score of the Shakuhachi piece Tamuke
                  2) A Gaperon cheese
                  3) A copy of On Sonic Art
                  4) A VCS3
                  5) A pair of Arbroath Smokies
                  Leave the VCS3 on the dark side?

A Gaperon? The moon is made of cheese, so they might think the Earth was made of a slightly different one. Confusing.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

If the items are to demonstrate our sophistication, I think it has to be a combination of achievement and appreciation (and I'd stick to W. civilisation because it's just a game anyway):

a modern binding of the Aeneid

an engraving of Redouté's Wild Chicory

a compact digital camera

a bottle of Chablis Grand Cru

e + 1 = 0
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                    X