X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Goodbye Gerry Goffin

Sad to see the passing of Gerry Goffin who with Carole King wrote so many of the wonderful pop songs of my youth.

Here's one of my favourites, by Laura Nyro.
    BONUS TRACK from the 1971 album GONNA TAKE A MIRACLE - created at http://animoto.com
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Sad to see the passing of Gerry Goffin who with Carole King wrote so many of the wonderful pop songs of my youth.
    Sad, indeed - the Carole King documentary a couple of weeks ago highlighted how well the disjunction between the acid tinge of his lyrics and the upbeat boppiness of her Music worked.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

A very sad moment for pop music.
      Wonderful choice, JC, a lovely song and one of my faves too.

Some great Songs that helped form the soundtrack of so many peoples lives.

RIP
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        A very sad moment for pop music.

Some great Songs that helped form the soundtrack of so many peoples lives.

RIP
        Just checked the list on Wiki - far more classics from my youth than I even realised came from their pen, including such very early memories as "Will You Love Me Tomorrow", The Shirelles and Bobby Vee "Take Good Care of My Baby". Only 12 when they appeared. It was mostly thanks to my two elder sisters being glued to Radio Luxembourg that these songs entered my consciousness. A nostalgia visit to Youtube is called for.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

this one really got me ....

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Hadn't realised that he and Carole King had written this total gem, that results in this wonderful bit of Dusty.

The first photo in this slideshow is one taken by my dad Bill. The three small children, left to right, are my cousin Marie, myself and another cousin Teresa...

The Byrds did a not bad job of it too...
            Last edited by johncorrigan; 22-06-14, 19:29. Reason: changed the vid!

Comment

• mangerton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              Hadn't realised that he and Carole King had written this total gem, that results in this wonderful bit of Dusty.

The first photo in this slideshow is one taken by my dad Bill. The three small children, left to right, are my cousin Marie, myself and another cousin Teresa...

The Byrds did a not bad job of it too...
              Indeed. It's one of my favourites, and I have both in my collection. Talking of Goin' Back, my great grandfather died in Blackburn, site of ten thousand holes, aged c 45.

Comment

Working...
              X