Arise, Sir András... and Dame Hilary and Sir Dan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

Susan Bullock has been awarded a CBE.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

I noticed that Miss Jean Evelyn Campbell received an MBE "for services to piping".

Not sure whether this is bag, plumbing or icing.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        I noticed that Miss Jean Evelyn Campbell received an MBE "for services to piping".

Not sure whether this is bag, plumbing or icing.

Or tailoring?
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Googling her I see she's from Glasgow, so perhaps bag. Only problem, she's (presumably) a Campbell.

We MacDonalds have long memories

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
              Susan Bullock has been awarded a CBE.
              Mary, am I right in thinking Benjamin Britten turned down a knighthood? I know he accepted a CH later on.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                Mary, am I right in thinking Benjamin Britten turned down a knighthood? I know he accepted a CH later on.
                Not later on. He became a CH in 1952, OM in 1965 and a life peer just before he died.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

It's only ridiculous [the honours system] if you think it has any fundamental meaning.
                  Ummm....like only being an atheist if you think there's some sort of god?

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                    • Nov 2010

Some people, and Britten seems to have been among them, object to honours that carry titles such as 'Sir'. He seems to have been happy to accept other honours, from many countries. It is said that he accepted the peerage at the very end of his life partly because his beloved nurse Rita Thomson said she would never speak to him again (or something) if he didn't, and partly because he thought it was a wonderful thing for music. Such peerages aren't unusual now, but Britten was the very first composer to be so honoured.

Does anyone know if RVW ever gave his reasons for refusing a knighthood? I've always been rather intrigued by that.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Such peerages aren't unusual now, but Britten was the very first composer to be so honoured.
                      Aren't they? I can only think of one other (for want of a better word) composer who has been Lorded; and I don't think this was for his Musical abilities!

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I can only think of one other (for want of a better word) composer who has been Lorded; and I don't think this was for his Musical abilities!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Such peerages aren't unusual now, but Britten was the very first composer to be so honoured.
                          Life peerages were only introduced in 1958. That probably changed the whole way the 'title' was viewed. It was just one more that could be offered and as there became more and more life peers it also became more of a 'routine' honour.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Aren't they? I can only think of one other (for want of a better word) composer who has been Lorded; and I don't think this was for his Musical abilities!
                            You're right. After I wrote that I realised there were very few musicians even now, but quite a lot was made of it at the time. There's also Lord Menuhin - all right, not a composer - as well as the unmentionable one.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Does anyone know if RVW ever gave his reasons for refusing a knighthood? I've always been rather intrigued by that.
                              Don't know the dates involved, but he had the OM (like a number of musicians) which should rank higher than a 'mere' knight since there are only 24 at a time.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• greenilex
                                • Nov 2010

Maybe people who don't like being called Sir should try being mam the whole time, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X