X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Michael Gough RIP

I was very sorry to see the death of Michael Gough, who was a wonderful character actor on stage, TV and film for many years. He was very good in Losey's Go-Between but there were also many TV plays and serials that he featured in especially in the 1970s and 1980s. I believe he also featured in classical drama on stage and TV. An obituary in the Independent here:

RIP.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

It was a smallish part that I remember him for most clearly: the role of First Murderer/Dighton in Olivier's Richard III:

"'Tut, tut, my lord, we will not stand to prate.
    Talkers are no good doers. Be assured
    We go to use our hands and not our tongues."

A chilling cameo part ... and I can still hear his very distinctive voice. Yes, a fine actor.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Chris Newman
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

A very familiar face on TV and films (the John Le Carre series with Alec Guiness for example, I only saw Michael Gough live on the stage once. On the evening of the day I moved to Salisbury in 1978 I decided to try out the Salisbury Playhouse. It was a superb stage production of Thomas Hardy's "Under the Greenwood Tree" with, I think I recall, the Albion Band in attendance. Michael Gough's craggy face and melodious speaking and singing voice dominated the show and ensured it a successful transfer run in the West End. A superb actor. R.I.P.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
        • Nov 2010

My first memories of Michael Gough, an actor of great presence and distinction, was as an alcoholic officer in the prison drama 'Colditz'. At about the same time he was compelling as the highly disturbed Van Gough in a dramatised film documentary on the astist's life.

My pa who himself passed away last month, worked with him on Colin Cregg's fine dramatisation of Virginia Woolf's 'To the Lighthouse' when he played the domineering head of the Ramsey family, his wife played by Rosemary Harris.

Despite his somewhat severe aspect he was a very colourful and clubbable character and it was enchanting to see his face light up on seeing my father at a memorial service. He instantly swerved away from some sicophant to rush over to greet TP. They were like two old wartime baccies reuniting for a brief, chortling embrace.

Dad later told me that he was one of the country's finest backgammon players, so much so that he comfortably sustained himself on his winnings.

Comment

• jwadd

Under the Greenwood Tree

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
          A very familiar face on TV and films (the John Le Carre series with Alec Guiness for example, I only saw Michael Gough live on the stage once. On the evening of the day I moved to Salisbury in 1978 I decided to try out the Salisbury Playhouse. It was a superb stage production of Thomas Hardy's "Under the Greenwood Tree" with, I think I recall, the Albion Band in attendance. Michael Gough's craggy face and melodious speaking and singing voice dominated the show and ensured it a successful transfer run in the West End. A superb actor. R.I.P.
          I remember Michael Gough. My late Father, Peter Waddington, a friend of Patrick Garland, was given a part in the production. Although Peter had no acting or singing experience, Patrick had him trained and put him on the stage to save the production money. Patrick, Michael, Frank Shelley, Charmian May and many more of the cast were regular visitors to our house for dinner.
          Father was offered the chance to go to the West End with the show, but despite the offer of an equity card he declined because of business commitments.
          Last edited by Guest; 15-03-12, 17:31.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Hello, jw!

Welcome and thanks for the reminiscence
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Chris Newman
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Welcome aboard, jwadd.

By the way french frank is the genius who makes The Radio 3 Forum possible.

So I would have seen your father on stage. Did he live next door to the White Horse at Downton? I had forgotten Under The Greenwood Tree was a Patrick Garland directed production. The back of my memory said it was Roger Clissold but he was the director of the theatre at the time.

bws
              Chris

Comment

Working...
              X