X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

David Hurwitz's idea of an April Fool's joke review

I came across this the other day - I am lost for words. (You might like to read the paragraph on John Odgon.)

At last, BBC Classics has unearthed one of the rarest […] To access this content you must login to your Insider account, or purchase a subscription for $5 monthly, or $49 annually.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Well, no doubt Mr Hurwitz is very pleased with himself. Perhaps next year he'll treat us to some equally hilarious prose about Paul Wittgenstein?

Nasty, petty, laboured little piece.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Well, I imagine MOST magazine editors would have thrown it back at him (and possibly shown him the door).
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

It's so disgustingly bad that I am tempted to think it a spiteful spoof on Hurwitz by one of his legion detractors, but then ...

Comment

• Tony Halstead
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
          I came across this the other day - I am lost for words. (You might like to read the paragraph on John Odgon.)

http://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-5780/
          Whoever wrote this worthless piece of garbage - whether Hurwitz himself or maybe some other hack - is clearly a desperately sad, bitter and unfulfilled person. It's not even remotely funny.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Well, I imagine MOST magazine editors would have thrown it back at him (and possibly shown him the door).
            According to his Wiki entry (I had to look him up) he is the editor - - "executive editor"....has clearly had a taste bypass.

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

I enjoy satire. Really. But this is appalling - it's not just John Ogden (look - let's make fun of the loony!) it's Barbirolli too. Quite severe.

He should never have been allowed near a computer.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                I enjoy satire. Really. But this is appalling
                It is indeed.

[QUOTE=Pabmusic;406299]it's not just John Ogden{/quote]
                No - it's John Ogdon!

look - let's make fun of the loony!
                Which he wasn't - and not only that, he had suffered no breakdowns of any kind by the mid-1960s in any case.

He should never have been allowed near a computer.
                Quite. He has quite a long and undistinguished track record of this kind of thing, though - it's far from an isolated instance. Perhaps someone might persuade a certain person who shall remain nameless that it's time to reach for the lawyer again?...

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  According to his Wiki entry (I had to look him up) he is the editor - - "executive editor"....has clearly had a taste bypass.
                  Indeed - that's why I put 'MOST' in capitals. Does not apply to editors themselves. Does it say anywhere when it was written?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

it's not just John Ogden{/quote]
                    No - it's John Ogdon…
                    Too much Hilda on my mind (I have just played Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction).

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                      Whoever wrote this worthless piece of garbage - whether Hurwitz himself or maybe some other hack - is clearly a desperately sad, bitter and unfulfilled person. It's not even remotely funny.
                      Yes it's Hurwitz himself. I think he looks on very enviously at those who have 'made it' and his harshest criticism is aimed at the very best performers. The recent Berlin Philharmonic Schumann set receives a complete mauling; I am cross with myself for bothering to take a look.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        The recent Berlin Philharmonic Schumann set receives a complete mauling
                        Indeed. I read that after the 'joke' review and was amazed at the invective. I don'y plan on acquiring the new BPO Schumann set, but I'm thrilled to see this great orchestra join the ranks of the own-label crowd.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

He is an idiot rather like that ghastly woman who has made a career out of being unpleasant and vile on trash TV Katie Hopkins former Apprentice winner.

His reviews are all opinion and no real analysis - the sort of Daily Mail of classical reviewing .

The comments about Ogdon are grossly offensive - a man with more talent in one finger than in the whole of Hurwitz.

Comment

• Jonathan
                            • Mar 2007

Well said!

He also has some weird and nasty views on obscure composers - another reason for never reading his virtiolic drivel.
                            Best regards,
                            Jonathan

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Forget all the Hurwitz-bashing. After all, no-one every built a statue of a critic.

But the concert - Messiaen’s Turangalila-Symphonie in the Free Trade Hall in Manchester. I was there, having just come home from boarding school for the Easter holiday. I used to go to as many concerts as I could afford - in the 5/- seats at the back of the balcony - but I wasn't too sure about this one. It had been given prominence in the Halle prospectus, so I decided to give it a go. I was glad I did, the music being entirely new to my young self. But I didn't want to rush out and buy a recording of it. But now I really must order this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X