• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Khatia Buniatishvili

Radio 3 - Wed 04 June 2014 - 19:30

Khatia Buniatishvili plays piano music by Brahms, Chopin, Ravel and Stravinsky.

Live from the Queen Elizabeth Hall, London
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • amateur51

I have high hopes of this phenomenal young pianist but to date none of my encounters (on radio & CD) have been satisfactory - she's in danger of becoming addicted to speed which is very disappointing as so often this leads to 'car crash' performances. I do hope that some of her mentors, (including Argerich & Kovacevich apparently) might be able to temper her volatility (as once presumably someone did for Argerich) and her musical intelligence will shine through.

Sadly I'll have to listen on iPlayer later next week. I was going to hear Ingrid Fliter at Wigmore Hall the day before and delayed my holiday week in France to do so. Fliter has now cancelled (poorly knee apparently) in which case I might have been able to 'see' Buniatishvili but Fate has other plans.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-06-14, 13:32. Reason: Ingrid innit

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      I have high hopes of this phenomenal young pianist but . . .
      BUT indeed. Big sigh here too. Sorry to hear of your holiday plans - delayed unnecessarily.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
        BUT indeed. Big sigh here too. Sorry to hear of your holiday plans - delayed unnecessarily.
        Very glad to hear it's not just me Pianorak. Fingers crossed for an outstandingly good recital. I'd love to read your thoughts when I get back

KB's latest CD: http://www.khatiabuniatishvili.com/de/music/motherland

Forthcoming programme:

Last edited by Guest; 04-06-14, 10:38. Reason: two links

Comment

• amateur51

Did anyone manage to catch this broadcast concert?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Did anyone manage to catch this broadcast concert?
            I caught the Stravinsky - very slap-dash, tub-thumping stuff: the sort of playing that makes you wonder why they call it a "piano". There was a huge roar of approval afterwards, so there was a lot of people who thought it was good. Personally, I prefer to hear the Music, rather than the performance.

The encore was much better done - she calmed down and performed with a lyricism I wouldn't have thought possible from the previous performance. Even so, there are many, many more pianists whom I would to hear.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

I reckon she'd be brilliant in Alkan,go on Khatia,you know you wanna !

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

Don't remember too much about it. There seemed to be a distinct lack of pp and ppp in Ondine; but since she spent some time adjusting her chair before embarking on the subsequent Brahms I suspect she wasn't totally at her ease. Stuff happens.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  I reckon she'd be brilliant in Alkan,go on Khatia,you know you wanna !
                  Oh, please, no! I've listened to her on four occasions now and have no idea of what the fuss is supposedly about; what I've heard has far too much sheer sloppiness and carelessness of attention to detail - as fhg ponts out, there are many so many pianists far more worthy of listeners' attention...

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2007

I agree - I heard her in some Liszt on the radio and she pulled it about so much it lost all coherence. She seems better in shorter pieces from what I've heard. Maybe as she matures she will calm down?
                    Best regards,
                    Jonathan

Comment

• Lento
                      • Jan 2014

Ivan Hewett was frustrated:

Comment

• gradus
                        • Nov 2010

Me too I followed the link on the DT review page to the iPlayer but can't find the recital, anyone located it?

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                          Me too I followed the link on the DT review page to the iPlayer but can't find the recital, anyone located it?
                          The seven days are up.
                          Hear this concert on the BBC iPlayer at www.bbc.co.uk/radio3 for seven days

Comment

Working...
                          X