X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

iPlayer on BT Infinity

I'm wary about some interactions with well known Internet providers.

In some ways BT with its fibre Infinity service is very good. Yesterday I downloaded a few modestly size files and they downloaded almost immediately - very good. However I try to avoid downloading large files or software updates as our package is limited to 40Gbytes, and I'm still too mean to upgrade, or at least be certain that I would be getting the correct upgrade.

My interactions with BT "sales/support" staff have not been particularly good over the last 6 months. For an example, one thing I asked for, was to have more rings on our phone before it switches to answerphone. I was told "yes - it's possible. It'll take 2 days to set up." I agreed, yet months later I think it still rings 6 times before I just fail to get to the phone from somewhere else in the house. Basically I think they didn't do that.

My latest question is - with the BT package, "do programmes watched using iPlayer on the provided YouTube box count towards my download allowance?" It's fairly obvious that if I watch using iPlayer on any other device that the downloads would count towards the allowance, but on the provided Youtube box? I'm not sure. I understand that any films or programmes in the BT Vision (paid for) package will not count - though BT manage to screw up the traffic monitoring, and don't update it often enough, and give erroneous data - which they admit, but other things?
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

I've taken to downloading longer youtube stuff to mp3 and playing the saved file from the computer rather than listening to a live stream. I don't know if this uses more or less data. I'm also on a 40G BT package but only ever use about 25 a month. I don't have superfast broadband but it works quickly enough for me so I don't think an upgrade is essential, since I don't download movies.

Comment

Working...
    X