• Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    6.40 ?

You were spoilt
    By then we had already done a 10 mile cross country run, cold shower and harmonised 20 Bach Chorales
    Those of us in the swimming team did have the option of an early morning swim before breakfast at 7.30.

Comment

• Angle
      • Dec 2010

The main reason for my lack of participation in Alpha Anon is that my late-rising tends to render other people inactive, making demands on their patience, before I can drag myself out of bed at some time just before what others might call lunchitme, having retired there at 3am. Breakfast for me is usually about 1pm.

I cannot think that only teenagers are wired to this pattern. Though I was always before time when going out to work, holidays always made way for the pattern to recur, and retirement has returned me to the out-of-sync day big time.

In any event, they tell me that it is rarely light before ten in the morning.

The phone rarely rings after 11pm. Such bliss.

Don

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

OTOH http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27286872

Everyone must be different, but I find that I wake earlier as the mornings get lighter, currently about 6am. I get up then and go to bed early - as our former PM Sunny Jim once said: 'All good people should be in bed by 10pm'
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• muzzer
          • Nov 2013

"6.40 ?

You were spoilt
          By then we had already done a 10 mile cross country run, cold shower and harmonised 20 Bach Chorales "

And you tell the youth of today that....................

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Reading my diaries from my schooldays, I am amazed at how much we managed to cram into a single day. I did well at everything at school, apart from passing exams.

Re HG's suggested book - I've already written it and it has been widely read in electronic form - around 250 pages including illustrations/photos.

Comment

• greenilex
              • Nov 2010

People used to faint quite regularly during early Mass, I remember...but as I am more lark than owl I don't think I suffered too much from the sixth form timetable.
              My children all seemed to need lots of sleep as teenagers. Only one of the grandchildren qualifies as yet.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

As some of you may recall, I am a 'believer' in something called Myers-Briggs personality typing, aka 'the MBTI': QV via Google, but beware of simplified (dumbed-down) versions!

This gives considerable support to the notion that, as far as rising-times are concerned, the world really is divided into Larks and Owls. The former of course tend to be up early, they do their best work in the mornings and often manage to leave work at 5 o'clock. In MBTI these people will more often than not have their decision-making function extraverted and are called 'judgers'/ Js . The owls naturally tend to be the late raisers, do their best work in a rush at the end of the day, just as the Js are going home, and will have spent the time before the last-minute rush taking in more information, doing more research, before reaching any conclusions and decisions. In MBTI they are called 'perceivers'/ Ps and their extraverted function is their info-gathering one. There are actually roundabout equal numbers of each, though society very markedly 'expects' - for some stupid reason - everyone to be a J

I'm one of the Ps, my wife one of the Js. At uni she was up writing essays at 6am where sometimes I wasn't up till after lunch. I would find myself writing my essay at 3am on the day of the tutorial and would resolve to start work earlier next week. Result: much more background reading, deeper thinking, a much better essay...but still finished at 3am of the day of the tutorial Somehow I seemed to need the same pressure to force an essay with conclusions out!

Our mutual friends were worried that if we got married we'd never actually spend any time together, but hey we ignored them and got hitched. Of course, paid employment forced me into slightly more standard habits, but the predisposition - all the evidence is that it is genetic - never went away. What a relief it was to find that it wasn't something really 'wrong' with me

Later in life the removal of the 8.30 to 5 prescribed working day has afforded me a great deal of relief and I'm quite sure, for my employer, better results and less personal stress, even on occasion something akin to 'job satisfaction'

Incidentally, research indicates that performing classical musicians tend to be Ps, but composers tend more to J...though I can think of plenty of the latter I'd bet were Ps. Prime candidate Percy Grainger - never sure when a work was finished, always up for making another arrangement, always returning to ideas from years before, tons of works/arrangements left in unfinished sketch form, much to the 'delight' of later editors

I rests me case...

NB pedants, please allow me the spelling 'extraverted' instead of the o-version. Jung, the originator of the ideas on personality later refined by Briggs/ Briggs-Myers, was a good classicist and knew that the Latin opposite of intro- is extrA-! MBTI has retained it, bless it.
                Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 16-05-14, 21:39.
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I'm more of an owl than a lark, but that's because I'm lazy.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                    I'm one of the Ps, my wife one of the Js. At uni she was up writing essays at 6am where sometimes I wasn't up till after lunch. I would find myself writing my essay at 3am on the day of the tutorial.

Did you not, perhaps, meet, at the international date line?

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

NB pedants, please allow me the spelling 'extraverted' instead of the o-version...
                      Why wouldn't we? The o-version is just wrong.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        This is new to me, but is most interesting. It means fighting the spell checker.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Well, we might, since the OED sanctions the 'o' forms as a 'variants' of the 'a' forms, and its first example (in the Jungian sense) in the dictionary is 1918, whereas the earliest example (in the Jungian sense) of extravert &c is 1915.

Extrovert may be "wrong" in the etymological sense, but not in the general linguistic sense, surely?

If one wishes to stick with the etymologically indicated form, that might be considered a form of pedantry but not an eccentricity. I wouldn't 'correct' anyone, no matter which form they used. Which may be considered either extreme pedantry or not pedantry at all. I think.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            ..I wouldn't 'correct' anyone...
                            Nor would I!

It just seemed odd to me that LMP should have thought the pedants would have been in favour of the o-version, when everyone knows pedants are big on etymology.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

... Ps... Js.

...paid employment forced me into slightly more standard habits, but the predisposition - all the evidence is that it is genetic - never went away. What a relief it was to find that it wasn't something really 'wrong' with me

Later in life the removal of the 8.30 to 5 prescribed working day has afforded me a great deal of relief and I'm quite sure, for my employer, better results and less personal stress, even on occasion something akin to 'job satisfaction'

All very interesting LMP and I find myself very much of your stripe... I had the great good fortune of starting my legal career with another P who was rarely at the office before 10 but worked later, and I was able to fall in step (plus the nature of the work was/is such that things rarely happened, and clients didn't need attention, until the afternoon). Apart from personal body clock issues, the ability to do stress-relieving things like miss the rush hour is incalculably beneficial (not least as the journey on my bike is about 5 times safer after the rush, not least of other cyclists, has subsided).
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

It just seemed odd to me that LMP should have thought the pedants would have been in favour of the o-version, when everyone knows pedants are big on etymology.
                                But I suppose pedants can also be wrong (They'll be telling me not to start a sentence with 'But' in a minute!)

Comment

Working...
                                X