Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Patten resigns

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27300957
  • Bax-of-Delights
    • Nov 2010

Chris Patten stands down from BBC Trust

News just in: Chris Patten has resigned from Chair of the BBC Trust for health reasons.

Acting Chair is Diane Coyle (but she is married to BBC's technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones so a conflict of interests arises n'est ce pas? Or is nepotism so ingrained in the BBC that this kind of thing passes without a blush of embarrassment? )
    O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

I'm sorry to hear of his bad health - but is the job such hard work?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        I'm sorry to hear of his bad health - but is the job such hard work?
        I think some aspects might be quite stressful (like constantly having to face Parliamentary committees) - especially with scandals and Charter renewal - rather than putting in 60-hour weeks.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Patten appointed Entwistle. Good riddance!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
            And Tony Hall?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              And Tony Hall?
              Yes, him too, with minimal due process. Tony Hall is competent, and the next D-G will be able to take forward or reverse his whims, but Entwistle ... !!!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Yes, him too, with minimal due process. Tony Hall is competent, and the next D-G will be able to take forward or reverse his whims, but Entwistle ... !!!
                I'm sorry for anyone who's in poor health but I wouldn't say he had been among the best chairmen. And he'll be 70 next week, so he's not taking early retirement in the normal sense of the phrase.

Comment

• edashtav
                  • Jul 2012

I'm sad for Chris Patten - his end reminds me of Enoch Powell's remark about how all political careers end. He took a dinner date and a sinecure but it turned into anything but a haven of rest. A time there was when Chris Patten was a big hitter.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                    Late Member
                    • Sep 2012

Outgoing BBC Trust chairman praises the corporation as a 'precious and wonderful thing', but fears it lacks backing of the main political parties

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

just as there is no public memory of life without the NHS, of all the hidden illness that walked through the new surgery doors in years after WW2; there is no memory of life before broadcasting, nor of the BBC monopoly and fear of chaos on the airwaves followed by the excitement and stimulus of the early competition

... at least Patten had two attributes that mattered - he was a High Tory of the old school where you found money for the things that mattered unlike his boss Thatcher who sold the things that mattered for the loot ... and he was old enough to remember the original impact on our health and democracy of both institutions

and if it had been me that had his operations i would be spending a lot more time in my back yard
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

You have 20:20 vision of course

Comment

• amateur51

With the exception of the all-knowing HG, I think most people felt that Chris Patten would be a safe pair of hands as Chairman of the BBC Trust. No-one realised at the time (pace HG of course) that those qualities would be so sorely tested and how often.He didn't know how much unfinished business was sitting at the back of the DG's safe and when it all came tumbling out he was genuinely taken aback but he knew that he had to front it up.This is why he became testy under questioning by Hodge, et al.

As a public servant he has taken on some easy jobs and some thankless ones and he has seen them through largely successfully, with this exception. Given his build and colour and his fondness for the pleasures of the plate i am not surprised that cardiovascular illness has been diagnosed. I'm sorry that he's had such a fright and I wish him well. I hope that he is able to enjoy his retirement.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            You have 20:20 vision of course
                            As I don't chair the BBC Trust, that's irrelevant. As D-G, Entwistle focused on policies and ignored actual live issues, to the extent of freely admitting that he didn't listen when his senior managers reported anything to him because he might be seen to be personally interfering. He was unfortunate that his approach blew up in his face in a matter of only a few days in office, but his approach was a disaster waiting to happen in any circumstances. His interview would have revealed his manner of tackling the D-G role to the appointment panel (unless he were utterly duplicitous at interview, or the panel were utterly incompetent) and so the Chair of the BBC Trust was culpable in the Entwistle fiasco.

Comment

• amateur51

As I don't chair the BBC Trust, that's irrelevant. As D-G, Entwistle focused on policies and ignored actual live issues, to the extent of freely admitting that he didn't listen when his senior managers reported anything to him because he might be seen to be personally interfering. He was unfortunate that his approach blew up in his face in a matter of only a few days in office, but his approach was a disaster waiting to happen in any circumstances. His interview would have revealed his manner of tackling the D-G role to the appointment panel (unless he were utterly duplicitous at interview, or the panel were utterly incompetent) and so the Chair of the BBC Trust was culpable in the Entwistle fiasco.
                              The harshness of your judgement, and the ease with which you express it, suggests to me that you have never held a position in which your actions and decisions will be held up to public scrutiny.

For which, much thanks.
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-05-14, 12:57. Reason: odds n sods

Comment

Working...
                              X