• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

It must be the Gulf Stream.

My strawberries are flowering like mad, and they never seem to need any protection at all. They certainly don't get it!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Probably good ole evolution at work, Kingfisher. I wish I could feel my sap rising. The Spring of the soul hasn't Sprung yet. Perhaps that's evolution too. The world doesn't need out-of-control geriatrics cavorting around en masse.
      Like me - just an old has-bean!

Comment

• umslopogaas
        • Nov 2010

Its as ff says: know your plot. You'd think Devon would be milder than Lancashire, but I'm in a cold bit of (north) Devon and Jean may be in a warm bit of Liverpool. All I know is that a couple of years ago I lost most of my strawberry crop because the flowers were frosted, so now I cover them with old sheets. Then I have to cover them with wire netting to keep the squirrels and birds off: plastic netting is no use, the squirrels bite through it. And then there's the field mice ... oh well, if it was easy it wouldnt be half so much fun, he says, not very convinced.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
          It must be the Gulf Stream.

My strawberries are flowering like mad, and they never seem to need any protection at all. They certainly don't get it!
          You mean you don't breathe on them?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
            You'd think Devon would be milder than Lancashire, but I'm in a cold bit of (north) Devon and Jean may be in a warm bit of Liverpool.
            N Devon is quite exposed as compared to Liverpool, which slopes down to the south-west.

Comment

Working...
            X