X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cornet IV

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    Now - St. George's Day, anyone?...
    I'm reminded that at the end of one of her lengthy Wagnerian dissertations, Anna Russell enquires, "Remember The Ring?"

Poor old George. Regardless of when, from whence or by what name he managed to evade the border controls, he quickly is passing from the Forum and English national life, no doubt as a corollary of the passing of English national life. Perhaps he should be nominated as patron of a minority bunch like the Cornish.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      From my own experience, it might be because the statement "the washing machine's gone wrong" is so often addressed to a male, the subtext being "fix it", "get someone to fix it", or "buy a new one".

How very sexist! I can't believe I've written that, except that I've been on the receiving end more than once.
      Dangerous ground this Pabs - you will be in for it from Jane ... Quite right too!

I fixed an old one that took ages before you could open the door. I just whacked it with a crowbar and hammer which disabled the lock, and then had a piece of strong string attached to the lock which you pulled to open the door instantly. Quite fond of that old machine and my improvements, but we have a new one now, and the child lock has never worked. It must have known it's fate so it gave up from day one! (We never allow small kids into the house so its perfectly safe, and when my very young g-children visit we lock 'em in the cellar).

Comment

• Ariosto

I am a composer, after all!
        So you can't possibly be "normal."

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
          ...I just whacked it with a crowbar and hammer which disabled the lock, and then had a piece of strong string attached to the lock which you pulled to open the door instantly...
          Effective, but I doubt you're the first to think of that. I remember Gerry 'Fingers' Malone, who once told me that... [spouts drivel for ages]

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
            Effective, but I doubt you're the first to think of that. I remember Gerry 'Fingers' Malone, who once told me that... [spouts drivel for ages]
            It would have been a steal at half the price ... Fair cop!

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

That was precisely my point, of course!

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Now - St. George's Day, anyone?...
                All this St George/David/Patrick/Andrew thing is just so much nonsense, best forgotten in my view.

Good to see that the English care so little about it.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  All this St George/David/Patrick/Andrew thing is just so much nonsense, best forgotten in my view.

Good to see that the English care so little about it.
                  I only wrote as I did for the purpose of trying to turn posters back to the thread topic (which, as you will appreciate, I did not initiate); that's all.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

I only wrote as I did for the purpose of trying to turn posters back to the thread topic (which, as you will appreciate, I did not initiate); that's all.
                    I know and my response was back on to that topic. I just can't see what this patron saint business has to do with celebrating your nation and I'm glad that the BBC and the English in general ignore it.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

You did initiate it, and then you went on and on and on. If you hadn't posted, there'd been nothing to 'turn posters back to'. You do it quite often. So stop all this silly 'it wasn't me, it was bigger boys' nonsense. Please.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Workers of the World unite: you have only to lose your nationalistic illusions.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

I just whacked it with a crowbar and hammer which disabled the lock,
                          I should think that that treatment would disable more than the lock - did the machine actually work afterwards?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

You'd have to be strange to want to be normal.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              I should think that that treatment would disable more than the lock - did the machine actually work afterwards?
                              Oh yes, my whack was well judged. I had to change the wiring a bit as well. The machine lasted about another 3 years. I think the drum or motor or something went after that and we changed it for a German machine that has good ways and means of making the washing clean ...

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                                You did initiate it
                                No, Cornet IV did. See post #1.

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                                stop all this silly 'it wasn't me, it was bigger boys' nonsense
                                I assume Cornet IV to be one person rather than a group of boys and I cannot comment on that member's size (if you'll pardon the expression).
                                Last edited by ahinton; 26-04-14, 21:09.

Comment

Working...
                                X