• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radio64
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
    Have you tried a Juliet bra?

www.julietlingerie.com
    Nice idea. I've already tried to contact a merchant from Venice and two gentlemen in Verona but so far no luck.
    "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      In addition to the learned contribution of Pabs, the various forms of 'George' are found widely, no doubt because the original Greek was from γῆ earth and ἔργον work: so proto-George would have been an ag lab.
      ... yep. Geo: III's sobriquet "Farmer George" is praps a tautology

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... yep. Geo: III's sobriquet "Farmer George" is praps a tautology
        Indeed - though 'Farmer Cambridge' is all right ...
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Interesting to speculate what might have happened if George I had been called Clyde, or Dwayne.

I have a good friend who used to be a C of E priest (no - a Church in Wales priest) who refused a Mr & Mrs Pipe the honour of calling their son Dwayne. I jest not...

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
            Interesting to speculate what might have happened if George I had been called Clyde, or Dwayne.

I have a good friend who used to be a C of E priest (no - a Church in Wales priest) who refused a Mr & Mrs Pipe the honour of calling their son Dwayne. I jest not...
            José?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Radio64
              • Jan 2014

hmmm.. looking up Georgia (the country) the name does seem to come from agriculture, "tiller of the land", although the Tetri ("saint") Giorgi also comes from an early pagan moon god .. ie. masculinity, fertility..that sort of thing.
              "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

I believe there was a family called Butter who named their son Roland.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

... et M & Mme Pipe and their legionnaire son Beau ...

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                    ... et M & Mme Pipe and their legionnaire son Beau ...
                    Ah, oui - good old ISIHAC; what would life be like without it?!

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Working new material into your UKIP act?
                      That's the second time recently that you've mentioned UKIP in response to a post from MrGG in which he didn't mention it. You must be obsessed with UKIP, so perhaps you should read http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27126465 published on St. George's Day if you've not done so already; I don't know what the UK paper The Independent has to say about it, though. UKIP had better be careful about legal action, though; the outraged LibDem who tried at law to scupper the Literal Democrats some time ago lost his case...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        That's the second time recently that you've mentioned UKIP in response to a post from MrGG in which he didn't mention it. You must be obsessed with UKIP, so perhaps you should read http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27126465 published on St. George's Day if you've not done so already; I don't know what the UK paper The Independent has to say about it, though. UKIP had better be careful about legal action, though; the outraged LibDem who tried at law to scupper the Literal Democrats some time ago lost his case...
                        Are you thick?

Just because you are ignorant of the UKIP references that MrGG is using, doesn't mean they aren't there.

You keep cropping up with comments about the UKIP, at every opportunity.

Anyone would think that the only two things going on in Britain are the UKIP/Nigel Farage and David Moyes getting the sack.

It is very, very boring.

Why don't you just pack it in?

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          pull up the drawbridge
                          Can that be done at the entrace to the Channel Tunnel, though? Given that it was Shakespeare's birthday yesterday, I'm reminded by this thought that the Channel Tunnel turned the Bard's "sceptred isle" into a "sceptred promontory" at a stroke, although I admit that it doesn't scan so well as the original...

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Don't the Channel Tunnel railtracks form the sceptred aisle?

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Are you thick?
                              I could probably do with losing a kilo or three, I guess.

Just because you are ignorant of the UKIP references that MrGG is using, doesn't mean they aren't there.
                              I simply and clearly wrote that MrGG did not mention that organisation in his posts whereas you in your replies to him did so; that's all.

You keep cropping up with comments about the UKIP, at every opportunity.
                              When responding to your overt references to it, it would be difficult if not impossible to avoid this; were you to cease and desist from reference to it and someone were to respond to you by citing it, that might be a different matter. "Cropping up"? I can't see any GM around here!...

Anyone would think that the only two things going on in Britain are the UKIP/Nigel Farage and David Moyes getting the sack.
                              I don't think that "anyone" would think anything of the kind. Who's David Moyes, anyway? Is this a nom-de-plume for Mike Nattrass?

It is very, very boring.
                              What is? UKIP / Mr Farage / Mr Moyes / Mr Nattrass?

Why don't you just pack it in?
                              In what? Bubble wrap? A union flag (just for memory's sake)?

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                                Don't the Channel Tunnel railtracks form the sceptred aisle?
                                Ah, maybe so: I hadn't thought of that! That said, I'm still not entirely clear as to whether any trains running on them get consciously uncoupled at any time...

Comment

Working...
                                X